TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
anyone know where i can find the pod cast to the afternoon ride from today

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
Hustler and Remis with there love of the stupid Eating crap, Tweeting that they are actually Athletes' and on top of that putting up some list of the Athletes with the Most Championships all time, and they actually put that Joey Chestnut loser on that list.

They make a mockery of Winnipeg Sports Media but giving that garbage so much credibility. Like many others in here as soon as i hear them talking that crap. Or Wrestling for that matter. Off goes the station. Such a joke.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't believe how much ire Hustler's couple of hours per year talking about the hot dog eating championships raises with people. :laugh:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
So according to Toth, all the "experts" he's "talking to" have said in reference to Eric Comrie's development in the AHL that you can "ignore the numbers," he's developing just fine. Westwood notes that you can't be a .906 in the AHL for 3 seasons if you want to move up to the NHL. Toth says "sure you can."

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So according to Toth, all the "experts" he's "talking to" have said in reference to Eric Comrie's development in the AHL that you can "ignore the numbers," he's developing just fine. Westwood notes that you can't be a .906 in the AHL for 3 seasons if you want to move up to the NHL. Toth says "sure you can."

The goaltending fraternity all seem to love Eric so understand where Toth is going but Jim is appealing to authority too much on this. At some point Eric has to start stopping more pucks for the Moose.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah I know what he means too, but it doesn't really matter what the fraternity thinks. The numbers are what they are. If he wants to say we can safely ignore weak AHL numbers, then can he point to many examples in the past where a goalie came into the NHL after posting a number of below average AHL seasons and took off? Because if he can't, then what makes Comrie special? Why does he get to be the goalie who goes .906 in the AHL and then blips over to the NHL and starts running .915 or better?

...and just to clarify, I'm not saying it hasn't happened. I don't know. It's just the question that crosses my mind when Toth says "the stats don't matter." If they don't, then I need an example or 2 where they didn't.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I know what he means too, but it doesn't really matter what the fraternity thinks. The numbers are what they are. If he wants to say we can safely ignore weak AHL numbers, then can he point to many examples in the past where a goalie came into the NHL after posting a number of below average AHL seasons and took off? Because if he can't, then what makes Comrie special? Why does he get to be the goalie who goes .906 in the AHL and then blips over to the NHL and starts running .915 or better?

...and just to clarify, I'm not saying it hasn't happened. I don't know. It's just the question that crosses my mind when Toth says "the stats don't matter." If they don't, then I need an example or 2 where they didn't.

I can't say with 100% certainty but almost every goalie I have looked at that does well in the NHL has had the numbers at lower levels.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I can't say with 100% certainty but almost every goalie I have looked at that does well in the NHL has had the numbers at lower levels.

Yeah that's more or less what I would assume. That's the fundamental problem with statements like "the stats don't matter in this case." Oh really? What exactly makes this case special? Oh, right...Comrie was playing behind a pretty crummy AHL team so that explains his mediocre/weak performance. But wait...didn't Helly play behind a very similarly crummy AHL team? What were his AHL stats like?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yeah that's more or less what I would assume. That's the fundamental problem with statements like "the stats don't matter in this case." Oh really? What exactly makes this case special? Oh, right...Comrie was playing behind a pretty crummy AHL team so that explains his mediocre/weak performance. But wait...didn't Helly play behind a very similarly crummy AHL team? What were his AHL stats like?

I suspect that the crummy team Comrie played in front of last year was even crummier defensively than the crummy teams Helle played behind (no JMo). Maybe this is the year that Commers starts putting up the glossy numbers.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I suspect that the crummy team Comrie played in front of last year was even crummier defensively than the crummy teams Helle played behind (no JMo).

There's the problem.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Moose defense and PK last year where pretty pathetic. Comrie was having himself quite the nice season despite that prior to running into one extended cold stretch late that tanked his numbers. That stretch came on the heels of playing something like 18 of 20 games including numerous back to backs. I think some of his late season performance was due to him being over extended by the coaching staff. In any case i think he will learn and be better for going through that crazy heavy work load and the cold stretch that followed it.

But I do believe he needs to post significantly better numbers this year.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Not to go OT because there is a goalie thread, but to add some AHL numbers

Hellybuyck - 0.921(58gp), 0.922(30gp)
Comrie - 0.829(2gp), 0.920(3gp), 0.907(46gp), 0.906(51gp)
Hutchinson - 0.904(28gp), 0.927(29gp), 0.914(30gp), 0.923(24gp)
Pavelec - 0.911(52gp), 0.914(40gp), 0.917(18gp)

Hellybuyck, Hutch, and Pavelec all had better numbers in the AHL than they have put up in the NHL. So given the fact that Comrie's AHL numbers are low, I can understand why there would be some concern.

JMO, and being no expert, I can see people being concerned with Comrie's numbers so far. As bad as we think Pavelec was, his AHL numbers are better than his NHL numbers and better than Comrie's numbers playing on the same Moose team last season.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I suspect that the crummy team Comrie played in front of last year was even crummier defensively than the crummy teams Helle played behind (no JMo). Maybe this is the year that Commers starts putting up the glossy numbers.

yeah, you can make that claim. The problem though is that the whole "team defense kills goalie sv%" argument is iffy at best. So if you're going to say "well yeah, other guys had better numbers on bad defensive teams but that specific team was really bad defensively," you're on even shakier ground. If one is going to say "Goalie X had bad SV% because the team in front of him was bad defensively" then I'm going to say "yeah but then how come goalie A, B, C, D, and on and on had better SV% playing behind teams that were objectively worse defensively than the team Goalie X played behind?" Goals against? Sure...but SV% is a stat that has been shown to be primarily a "goalie stat" that isn't affected in a big way by overall team defense.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Isnt Comrie like a 12 year old tho? Helle came from College... Hutch was older.. Pav was also.. Comrie is what? 21? Surely his age plays a role... Anyone giving up on him really have no clue cuz all the goalie experts really like him. Hes just really young still.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
is 21 young for an AHL goalie?

I'm not "giving up" on him. I'm just not prepared to make the claim that his stats can be ignored. I think he needs to start showing something...something that shows up in the stats.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm trying to think of a goalie who had meh AHL numbers who turned into a decent NHL starter...hmmm...Dubnyk maybe? He was a .906. Crawford's AHL SV% is .908 (on 7200+ shots!). Rask put up .911 on ~2700 AHL shots against. Rinne's AHL SV% is .910. You could argue those last two guys were coming over from Europe (where they'd been tearing it up) and adjusting to the North American game.

Comrie's AHL SV% is .905 - lower than everyone listed above.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I've been listening to the Big Show this week while on holidays. Does anyone know who the brainless guest was this morning that suggested the Jets sign Drew Stafford. I don't think the guy knew anything about the Jets or the current roster. Are the Jets actually interested in Stafford and I missed something?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I've been listening to the Big Show this week while on holidays. Does anyone know who the brainless guest was this morning that suggested the Jets sign Drew Stafford. I don't think the guy knew anything about the Jets or the current roster. Are the Jets actually interested in Stafford and I missed something?

Why the hell would we be interested in Stafford? They already moved on from him - given the current roster, he wouldn't fit in any event. He barely fit in his last year here. Makes less than zero sense.

I assume they're having trouble finding guests with a clue?

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

It was Jonathan Davis from West Coast Hockey. I just about puked when he said the Jets need to play better in their own end and Stafford would be a good fit.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like Comrie but I think he needs two more AHL seasons. Let's not rush him.

I wouldn't stick a fork in him yet and I am one of the guys who is alarmed by his numbers. I agree with your post the only way out of the AHL is going to be eye test and numbers......Eric is going to eventually have to Have an above average numbers in the AHL for an extended period of time and I would suggest that is at least two seasons. Mason's contract is the perfect length because by the time it's done we will know what we need to know about both Comrie and Hellebuyck.

Toth was wrong with how he managed his information from authority figures. Every goalie "expert" I have ever heard on 1290 seem to love Eric and they think he will "get their one day".....not one of them has said he doesn't have to grow and get better. Toth is suggesting Eric is good enough now and the numbers don't matter and that is just not what the McClellan's, Woodley's, and Valiquette's of the world are saying.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
It was Jonathan Davis from West Coast Hockey. I just about puked when he said the Jets need to play better in their own end and Stafford would be a good fit.

No media members from out east know anything nor care about the jets. Didn't tsn have the jets top 4 without trouba and jmo on UFA day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->