TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Xm is the way to go. talk hockey all day. From 6 am to 6pm then broadcast 2 games. Not so much in summer tho. But still a fair amount of hockey talk.

I'm really only interested in the local angle. I mean as much as these guys annoy me at times, they are still local personalities and I feel a certain connection on that level. It makes it all more entertaining for me. Remove that local connection and it ceases to have any real appeal for me.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
They aren't as bad as some years, but they are still out there. There's still a use for some deet. :)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
People should do like I do. Don't listen. Lowers your blood pressure greatly. :D

I stick to mainly pre-game stuff, and post game morning commentary. I don't think I've listened to 1290 in months, and I'm a less stressed person for it. ;)

4 out of 5 doctors approve this approach. :handclap:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Xm is the way to go. talk hockey all day. From 6 am to 6pm then broadcast 2 games. Not so much in summer tho. But still a fair amount of hockey talk.

XM is better in many ways but do they ever mention the Jets? I mean EVER? :laugh:

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
I thought Kevin O was super cringey on TV. On radio, he's just bad. How did he get an entire show to himself? Rick Ralph doesn't mesh with Hustler and should be back doing his own show.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
XM is better in many ways but do they ever mention the Jets? I mean EVER? :laugh:

Oh yeah. 1 of ralphs bayak hnidy edmonds the print reporters come on every week. They talk about everybody. The better you are the more they talk about you. Chevy maurice players come on.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh yeah. 1 of ralphs bayak hnidy edmonds the print reporters come on every week. They talk about everybody. The better you are the more they talk about you. Chevy maurice players come on.

I listen to them more than 1290 but it is random and not much. I don't even hear all that much about the WC much less the Jets. A lot about the NY area teams.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I thought Kevin O was super cringey on TV. On radio, he's just bad. How did he get an entire show to himself? Rick Ralph doesn't mesh with Hustler and should be back doing his own show.

Yeah I'm not crazy about Kevin O either. I'm sure he's a good guy, but his presentation just seems smarmy and insincere on the radio. Maybe he'll improve with a bit of time...

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Yeah I'm not crazy about Kevin O either. I'm sure he's a good guy, but his presentation just seems smarmy and insincere on the radio. Maybe he'll improve with a bit of time...

I'd rather listen to 3 Jim Toth's engage in a verbal cj than listen to another minute of Kevin O.

I really tried to give him a chance but his bizarre choice of words, various odd voices, and clear lack of interviewing skills come off as cringey as a middle school newspaper journalist.

I wonder when Bell will get a clue.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

I like SXM as well. For a radio app try "Simple Radio". You can get all local stations (I saved 1290, CJOB, UMFM, and CJNU so I get all sports games) and Canada and USA stations (so I can listen to Rush).

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Maybe some of the senior members in this Forum can start a youtube channel and / or podcast. That would very cool actually as there are many here who are as intelligent if not more intelligent than the 1290 guys.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I'd rather listen to 3 Jim Toth's engage in a verbal cj than listen to another minute of Kevin O.

I really tried to give him a chance but his bizarre choice of words, various odd voices, and clear lack of interviewing skills come off as cringey as a middle school newspaper journalist.

I wonder when Bell will get a clue.

It's the voices for me as well. Just talk in a normal voice!

I don't know him from tv so I didn't have any preconceived notions on him but he's not passing for me right now. I might complain sometimes about Toth or Hustler but overall I usually listened during the day. But I'm finding if I flip on Kevin O for a commercial or whatever I'm in no hurry to get back to hear him.

I'll give him sometime. He's new to radio (as far as I know) it can take on air personalities some time to find their groove. Maybe when he can talk more about hockey and less about golf it might help him out.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It's the voices for me as well. Just talk in a normal voice!

I don't know him from tv so I didn't have any preconceived notions on him but he's not passing for me right now. I might complain sometimes about Toth or Hustler but overall I usually listened during the day. But I'm finding if I flip on Kevin O for a commercial or whatever I'm in no hurry to get back to hear him.

I'll give him sometime. He's new to radio (as far as I know) it can take on air personalities some time to find their groove. Maybe when he can talk more about hockey and less about golf it might help him out.

You mean like Paul Edmonds. Can't stand that fake voice in his play by play calling.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
When they run an ad or promo thing that has a whole series of Edmunds goal calls one after another it's pretty irritating. "SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!" In the exact same throaty growl voice each time.

I think Kevin O has settled down a tad over the past few shows. He doesn't seem to be trying quite as hard to be a funny man and it's for the better.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was listening to the round table for the first time yesterday and Kevin O seems fine to me.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Yep going to give Kevin O a chance here. Never much liked his smart Al personality on TV but I do think he has something to offer. He's no RR but he sure tries.

Maybe it's like Stephen Colbert's fall from funny. CTV News has the intellectual property rights to the Kevin O character, and now he can't be as "entertaining". :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->