TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
I like poulin. always picks the jets to make the playoffs. doesn't pan them just because everyone else does. always fair with his comments. and knows the game.

So basically you want a homer who was wrong 5 out of 6 seasons instead of someone who calls it like it is?

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
So basically you want a homer who was wrong 5 out of 6 seasons instead of someone who calls it like it is?

You know, I'm reading through his original post trying to figure out where he said that. I keep coming up with the fact that he likes a guy who's not a total negatron. brb I'll check again.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Predicting something at the start of the year based on what you think of the talent the team has doesnt mean he cant call it like it is. He was a player a captain and a assistant gm. He knows his hockey.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Man... what next? More Zoomies and Eggies commercials?

hqdefault.jpg

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Have to make do by going to his bar.

Will miss his input, he was really good. If you paid attention he would inform you who he thought was doing well and most importantly not, even if it wasn't overtly obvious.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I like poulin. always picks the jets to make the playoffs. doesn't pan them just because everyone else does. always fair with his comments. and knows the game.

I agree with all of this, though I don't know if I've ever heard him call a game so I'm skeptical in the mean time.

Noodles, much more so.

Ferraro is too grouchy for me, usually.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I liked Nhidy to even know he sounded like "Intelligence" from Team America. lol

Weird LV is taking all the Jets talent! Who's next? Beyak himself? You can take Wieber.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Like I put on the Twitter today. TSN has no budget for Winnipeg. Toth and Westwood are employed because they are affordable. Edmonds is a disgrace when the bring him on to be analyst in the morning. The 11am show is embarrassing with Rick now on in the afternoon. We've turned into the farm team for media because TSN cheaps out on Wpg. We get no proper pregame show. Ottawa, Toronto, and Mtl get Duthie and the crew from Toronto for pregame and intermission. We get nada. Our radio station has 10 hours of live, regular, local coverage on each weekday. Three hours on Saturday (in the winter). No live, local coverage on Sunday. Game days excluded of course. Let me remind everyone there is 24 hours in a day.

For a "big league" city it's a joke.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Damn Lawless poaching Hnidy!:rant:

Hnidy quietly grew into a very good colour man, will be missed!

Will be interesting to see who fills the spot, and hopefully it isn't a TO based ex-NHL'er or Kidd!

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
I seem to be in the minority but I was not a Hnidy fan. He didn't add a lot of insight in my opinion - nowhere near what Ferraro or McLennan offer in any event. Happy to hear they will be the guys in that role for the time being.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I seem to be in the minority but I was not a Hnidy fan. He didn't add a lot of insight in my opinion - nowhere near what Ferraro or McLennan offer in any event. Happy to hear they will be the guys in that role for the time being.

Oh absolutely!

That's Hnidy-speak for I agree, or for responding to every question that requires an affirmative. I found him kinda superficial, with most of his commentary being just a reworded play-by-play. Too much old school too. He was a little better last year but the trend line still wasn't impressive.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting that we are back to a rotation now which we initially had with Engblom, Johnson, and someone else I am forgetting.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Will miss Shane, thought he did an excellent job between the benches, and preferred him over any Sportsnet commentators and many of the TSN cast. He grew nicely into that role, sorry to see him go.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Oh absolutely!

That's Hnidy-speak for I agree, or for responding to every question that requires an affirmative. I found him kinda superficial, with most of his commentary being just a reworded play-by-play. Too much old school too. He was a little better last year but the trend line still wasn't impressive.

This was exactly my issue with him. He would just repeat back exactly what had just been Beyak's call when reviewing replays. We don't need to hear play-by-play again - we want to hear specific insight into what's going on down at ice level.

The whole purpose of having someone stationed down there is for us to get a feel for what's happening - are the benches yapping back and forth? Are the Jets coaches getting after them a bit if they're coming out slow to start the period? Are player A and player B having words after whistles?

Hnidy never really provided insight into what was happening at ice level - which is the sole purpose of having a colour commentator stationed between the benches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad