TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah well I'd be pretty pissy too if I had to deal with Toth for several hours a day, lol. I generally agree with or at least can see the point Westwood is making so I don't usually have a problem with his stance on hockey - Toth is just as unwavering in presenting his position...the problem is his position is often irrational.

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Does the Jets post game show have any call delay ability? After the Nashville game there was a barrage of prank callers. Two callers asked Kevin O how big his manhood was (they asked it in a much more crude fashion) and both times it made it on the air. The pranks got so bad they shut down the phone lines with half an hour to go in the show. Either they have no call delay ability or whoever operates it was completely asleep at the switch. Either way, it blows my mind.

Hmm... I’m guessing that’s the reason why TSN1290 didn’t put the podcast up of this post-game show :P.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I caught the Lawless interview on the way home from work tonight. And I tell, it re-enforced how little I miss him. His exaggeration of the easily obtainable facts to make a point was really annoying. It actually kind of made me dislike the Knights.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Westwood's greater than thou demeanor is starting to annoy the living hell out of me. Anytime anyone calls out his view, or disagrees with him, he is unable to handle it, gives attitude or throws little fits. Westwood also seems to believe he is the voice of truth with all things hockey, when fact is, many listeners can probably school him in the sport. I have tweeted him on aspects of his input during the big show that complete bunk. He does not discuss your view and the differences, just gets annoyed that anyone would have the gall to have a differing opinion or view.

I heard what you are talking about, and the caller was joking around. Westwood got all self-righteous with him, and came off sounding like a complete DBag. I liked Westwood a few years back when he started the gig. He was down to earth and didn’t take himself to serious. Now, he is getting to the point where I cant listen to him anymore. His attitude towards Toth, when he has a differing point of view is pathetic.
You were a kicker Troy, your expertise in sports does not go beyond that, and just and FYI, you are out to lunch many times with your POV.
[mod] Thanks to people like that ESPN is going down in flames and the NFL is in serious financial trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: libertarian

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I’m definitely in the minority here but I like the 6-Pack. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Couldn’t agree more the best part about winter is no forced Assiniboine Downs infomercials at 4:15 every Wednesday.

Because My Pillow is so awkward and forced, there’s zero chance I’ll ever buy it. And it’s not just on 1290. 92Citi and Power97 also do very similar promos for it.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
[mod] Thanks to people like that ESPN is going down in flames and the NFL is in serious financial trouble.

I sent TSN 1290 a e-mail (I don't do twitter) a few months ago asking them to keep the on air personnel (Westwood) politics to themselves or risk losing a lot of listeners. Sports is a escape from all the bull**** that is going on in the world and the last thing you want to hear is a rant about politics. ESPN and the NFL are now learning that lesson.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Thumbs down to the 6 pack, Toth, My Pillow being interjected into regular conversations, poorly disguised Downs infomercials and the SJW garbage.

I don't listen anywhere near as much as I used to.

Reactions: sipowicz

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I sent TSN 1290 a e-mail (I don't do twitter) a few months ago asking them to keep the on air personnel (Westwood) politics to themselves or risk losing a lot of listeners. Sports is a escape from all the bull**** that is going on in the world and the last thing you want to hear is a rant about politics. ESPN and the NFL are now learning that lesson.

Says the guy whose name on a hockey prospect website is a direct reference to a political belief system. :facepalm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I do understand there are topics that come up where the lines get blurred but I tune into sports radio to escape, not to get the :soap:

Reactions: Fairview

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016

LOL. The NFL isn’t in “serious financial trouble”. I agree that they, of any sports league, could be in a position to trend downwards. But “serious financial trouble” right now is outrageously untrue.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I almost never listen anymore. I keep tuning in but it usually takes less than 5 secs for me to tune out. 3-4 hrs before a Jets game and they are talking ******* NFL. Then there are all the other complaints raised here. :thumbd:

Did listen the 1st period of the Moose game yesterday though. :thumbu:

Reactions: Fairview

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
I was a part time listener in the past but I just don’t listen anymore. The ratings drop should shock no one. I’m not surprised the Bombers reupped with CJOB.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
LOL. The NFL isn’t in “serious financial trouble”. I agree that they, of any sports league, could be in a position to trend downwards. But “serious financial trouble” right now is outrageously untrue.
As a former NFL nut I can say there are some issues. I cant even put a finger on it, if its Goodall, the anthem stuff, the franchise re-location nonsense, or the Euro expansion insanity..........Hmmm ok maybe I just did figure it out. In any case I just have such a sour taste in my mouth I can't be interested anymore. And the Vikings are winning !!!! ughh

Reactions: Hollywood3

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
As a former NFL nut I can say there are some issues. I cant even put a finger on it, if its Goodall, the anthem stuff, the franchise re-location nonsense, or the Euro expansion insanity..........Hmmm ok maybe I just did figure it out. In any case I just have such a sour taste in my mouth I can't be interested anymore. And the Vikings are winning !!!! ughh

The NFL has been propped up by fantasy for years.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The boys on 1290 this morning talking about questioning Pav's fitness and work ethic, and pointing out that even his country men had expressed concerns about it. I remember when I questioned these things about Pav, I was eviscerated on this board. Nice to have the record set straight even if it is years after the fact. Of course, the TSN guys weren't exactly vocal about this at the time since it didn't fit the TNSE narrative at the time.

Reactions: broinwhyteridge

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The boys on 1290 this morning talking about questioning Pav's fitness and work ethic, and pointing out that even his country men had expressed concerns about it. I remember when I questioned these things about Pav, I was eviscerated on this board. Nice to have the record set straight even if it is years after the fact. Of course, the TSN guys weren't exactly vocal about this at the time since it didn't fit the TNSE narrative at the time.

Hmmm?

The way I remember it Pavs professionalism (fitness and commitment to getting better) was questioned from day 1 on the record from some of his teammates. I remember an interview on Off the record where the exiting tough guy Eric Boulton called out Pavs. Then he had the DUI incident. It wasn't until a few seasons later he showed up in really good shape and had put in the work in the off season finally?

My take from all the information I got over the years...............Really nice guy....easy going fun Bobby type.......liked to play games but not practice or train.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I was eviscerated on this board

There was a lot of discussion going back and forth over some pictures posted on the internet, if I remember. I don't recall anyone in particular being tarred and feathered. If it was debating the point, that's fair game on a discussion forum, and true evisceration would probably not be tolerated. ;)

Many expressed concern about his commitment to fitness, if memory serves. Many commented on what looked to be an improved fitness regimen one year as well.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
There was a lot of discussion going back and forth over some pictures posted on the internet, if I remember. I don't recall anyone in particular being tarred and feathered. If it was debating the point, that's fair game on a discussion forum, and true evisceration would probably not be tolerated. ;)

Many expressed concern about his commitment to fitness, if memory serves. Many commented on what looked to be an improved fitness regimen one year as well.

Maybe eviscerated is too strong. And of course, there are always open minded and true thinking posters who are willing and able to discuss topics openly. But there was a lot of heat and strong criticism of even the thought of Pav not being sufficiently committed

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Thumbs down to the 6 pack, Toth, My Pillow being interjected into regular conversations, poorly disguised Downs infomercials and the SJW garbage.

I don't listen anywhere near as much as I used to.
You don't mind the 730 am Jets infomercial?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Maybe eviscerated is too strong. And of course, there are always open minded and true thinking posters who are willing and able to discuss topics openly. But there was a lot of heat and strong criticism of even the thought of Pav not being sufficiently committed
I'd be really shocked if you'd have had much opposition to that sort of viewpoint really. Sure, there might have been some vocal opponents, but if Pavs EVER had the support of 25% of the fans on here, I'd be surprised. Management was 100% committed that Pavs was their man; Pavs was 25% committed to his craft.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Westwood is a hypocrite. Didn't see him piping up when he could have made a difference when Hustler and Remus when on their misogynistic rants when Penny Oleksiak won the Lou Marsh award because as Hustler said "she had a pretty smile". Nothing to do with 4 freaking medals at the Olympics, flag bearer and 4 medals at the short course world championships. She's was dominant. You want to debate her accomplishments vs another athlete then great. But she didn't get the Lou Marsh for her pretty smile.

Sure Westwood has no problem convicting Patrick Kane even before he was charged then didn't see reason to apologize. But you NEVER tattle on a teammate.

I'm not a SJW guy but I hate a hypocrite.

Reactions: Koonta

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Also a former NFL nut, foolishly spent years of Sundays glued to the TV watching NFL crap, stopped watching almost entirely a few years back and this year all together, don't miss it all, don't care. Totally over hyped product whose entertainment value rates about a 1/10 compared to the NHL!

Reactions: Saintb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad