TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I hate everything about the six pack. Even the stupid background music. Toth is unbearable...

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I had a good laugh at them stumbling through that Connor Hellebuyck Jets Genius question, when they declared Iron Man, Magneto and Thor as superheroes for millenials, even though the characters have been around since the early 1960s.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I find him every bit as annoying as Toth....maybe even more!
"Hey man"..."thanks brother"; whatever other annoying things he says all the time. Living/dying by quoting analytics when I don't know if he really knows what they all mean. (not that I do! :laugh:)

Yeah sometimes Westwood reminds me of Dog the Bounty Hunter or Hulk Hogan with all of the brothers he throws out there

Reactions: FFHockey

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
they were having a real difficult time with the whole goalie interference thing this morning. A caller asked why it is that a goal can be called back for interference but no penalty is assessed and they had trouble with the logic! LOL. Guys, read the rule. If a goal is scored and it's ruled there was goalie interference, the goal doesn't count. If goalie interference is assessed but no goal is scored, a penalty is assessed. It's simple. It's an either or proposition...in other words the goal being removed IS the penalty! And no Troy, the determining factor for interference isn't that "a bit of a players body no matter how infinitesimal enters the blue paint."

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I turned on the radio on my way to work this morning and heard Westwood yelling like an idiot and I knew I'd stumbled into the dreaded 6-pack.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Westwood is now crediting Flaterly for Hellybucks success in the net despite the fact if it wasn't for hellybucks offseason training/coaching he himself hired during the summer, he wouldn't be the goalie he is now.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Oh, I forgot - the same caller who asked for clarification about the goalie interference rule (and got very little :D ) also said he thinks Hendricks is the "new Chris Thorburn"...and he totally meant it as a compliment! :D

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Westwood ranting about Flaherty being vindicated with Hellebuycks success this season, when Hellebuyck clearly stated, a few times, his work with Francilia has resulted in his improved performance.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
As I worked with TSN1290 especially people like Gary Lawless. I know 1290 very well and how they operate. Their biggest problem is they want to balance local hosting with not being repetitive with fan participation. So they are not too worried about Jets/Bomber fans hating on certain hosts as they know you will still listen. They care to offer the best available insider information and information from knowledgeable hosts like Troy Westwood and Chris Walby. But their biggest problem is that they do not have the full exclusive rights to the Blue Bombers (YET. 1290 is puting in an offer the Blue Bombers wont be able to refuse) Most of their hockey pundits are journalists and radio hosts that are passionate Jets fans. So fans opinions have wide range of knowledge and opinions.

CJOB has announced they have renewed the rights to broadcast Blue Bombers games through 2024.

:jets

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
Was told the week was done few weeks ago but its not exclusive agreement. The team has an opt out agreement after 2018 and 2022 and TSN1290 didn't get the play by play rights due to CJOB assuring Blue Bombers that Bob Irving will be doing play by play for at least another 5 years.

This was big part of the Blue Bombers deal. They didn't want to upset fans and Bob Irving who is obviously a legend.

Reactions: ps241

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
Blue Bombers took less $$ with CJOB and also TSN1290 had various incentives in their deal with programming. But the Blue Bombers were right in sticking with CJOB. Bob Irving is still going to do play by play. And they get outstanding coverage from 2 of the biggest news/talk stations in the province.

CJOB signal goes to Kenora/Minnesota/Saskatchewan

TSN1290 does a great job covering and fans actually win with this deal. More coverage the better.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I dunno, if CJOB had lost the bombers, would they have kept Bob Irving on staff? TSN would have obviously picked him up if CJOB dropped him.

I do agree, this is a positive for fans. The NHL deal that let only Sportsnet broadcast national games has killed the quality of a national broadcast.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Was told the week was done few weeks ago but its not exclusive agreement. The team has an opt out agreement after 2018 and 2022 and TSN1290 didn't get the play by play rights due to CJOB assuring Blue Bombers that Bob Irving will be doing play by play for at least another 5 years.

This was big part of the Blue Bombers deal. They didn't want to upset fans and Bob Irving who is obviously a legend.

Maybe. Far more likely is that your "inside source" really didn't know much about what was going on in negotiations.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Jets coverage on 1290 is horrible. I have nothing more to add but this simple statement.

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
Jets coverage on 1290 is horrible. I have nothing more to add but this simple statement.

what we lack in this city are real sports personalities. They are all unprofessional and lack the true talent. Most are schooled at a broadcasting program or a sporst personality that decides to talk sports.

They all lack the single purpose and that is to do reporting and be voice for the fans.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
what we lack in this city are real sports personalities. They are all unprofessional and lack the true talent. Most are schooled at a broadcasting program or a sporst personality that decides to talk sports.

They all lack the single purpose and that is to do reporting and be voice for the fans.
I note from your profile that are in TV/radio. I assume that you can help solve this deficit. I'd recommend teaming up with avgard, the Hockey Professor to truly shake things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad