TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Jets coverage on 1290 is horrible. I have nothing more to add but this simple statement.

Agree, sadly it got worse with RR leaving the post game show.

Think Munz would be a better fit on the show than Ol'Chev-ski

After Hustler and RR talent really drops off.....

Reactions: GNP

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada

It’s nothing but constant TNSE boot licking and horrible takes. Maybe Sportsnet will be better if they do come here but I doubt it. TNSE has Winnipeg locked down. In other markets, media calls for star players heads and demands coaches to be fired after losing in the first round. Our media praises Hendricks and Tanev. No substance. I’ll stick to podcasts.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Not really true. Toth does most of the boot licking, and Ralph rarely looks to hold anyone to the flame (aside from snark aimed at us fans that is, lol), but both Westwood and Rewicki on the morning show and Hustler in the afternoon will raise issues with the choices the organization and coaches make on a fairly regular basis. None of those three are particularly crazy about Hendricks and tanev - although Tanev has done good things lately. It’s funny to me that some of you make the claim that they aren’t critical enough and then also claim that Rick Ralph is the best. Some of you should actually listen once in a while.

Reactions: Huffer and TS Quint

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

======================================================

I agree with you Sip - we think alike !!! The 1290 post game show was great with Rick Ralph, and even better with Trevor Kidd as an analyst.( along with RR)

When the new guy took over-Kevin O or something like that, "it was terrible" in the beginning, like he only would take 3-4 outside calls, and RR would take around 20.

It has gotten a lot better now IMO, and it's somewhat like the RR show with similar callers. I guess Kevin O was reading the "bad comments" on here, and changed up his show, so it's not to bad at all right now. I did like RR's show though.

I think 1290 should offer Trevor Kidd a job as a permanent analyst--he's very good, and his comments come from a goalies perspective-which I like. He adds a lot to the show !!!

I have no comment on Hustler, as I've never heard him, as I have to work etc. I don't want to listen to Hustler as well, as these shows etc. suck up your time. ( ("one" is enough )

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Coming from somebody who listens all day every day...

- They need more Rewucki.
- I find myself tuning out Kevin O more and more. He’s just not a good fit for Rona Roundtable. I miss Rick in that time slot.
- Keep Edmonds and Beyak in the booth only . Nobody values their opinions as guests during the day.
- Stop talking so much damn golf. It’s a declining sport. Hus and Rick’s fascination with golf and Tiger Woods is like nails on a chalkboard.
- Hus, love listening to you. But there’s more teams in the NFL than the Chiefs and Chargers.
- They need to get rid of repeats at 10am and 1pm. I normally turn the radio off during that time.
- They need to go on AM/FM like CBC. Or at least get better AM signal strength.
- Why does this station never ever get McKenzie as a guest?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

- I find myself tuning out Kevin O more and more. He’s just not a good fit for Rona Roundtable. I miss Rick in that time slot.
- Keep Edmonds and Beyak in the booth only . Nobody values their opinions as guests during the day.
- Stop talking so much damn golf. It’s a declining sport. Hus and Rick’s fascination with golf and Tiger Woods is like nails on a chalkboard.
- Hus, love listening to you. But there’s more teams in the NFL than the Chiefs and Chargers.
- They need to get rid of repeats at 10am and 1pm. I normally turn the radio off during that time.
My biggest turnoff is the Friday morning 6 pack. A 6 game, 3 possible outcomes per game parlay is the biggest sucker bet imaginable. Historically Sports Select keeps approx 44% of all money wagered which is even even higher on the 6 game parlay. Go make a real wager.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
My biggest turnoff is the Friday morning 6 pack. A 6 game, 3 possible outcomes per game parlay is the biggest sucker bet imaginable. Historically Sports Select keeps approx 44% of all money wagered which is even even higher on the 6 game parlay. Go make a real wager.

Going OT here, but the vigorish on those 6 game parlays is pretty close to 300%.

It's absolutely criminal and makes Sports Select one of the biggest legalized scams out there, but I guess you can't stop people from burning money.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Not really true. Toth does most of the boot licking, and Ralph rarely looks to hold anyone to the flame (aside from snark aimed at us fans that is, lol), but both Westwood and Rewicki on the morning show and Hustler in the afternoon will raise issues with the choices the organization and coaches make on a fairly regular basis. None of those three are particularly crazy about Hendricks and tanev - although Tanev has done good things lately. It’s funny to me that some of you make the claim that they aren’t critical enough and then also claim that Rick Ralph is the best. Some of you should actually listen once in a while.

I agree Ralphy is a not a great personality on the radio. Very strange sense of humour and frankly annoying after after 5 mins.

1290 is complete garbage except Hustler and I like uncle raspy calling the radio jet game. Have another johnny Walker buddy! Lol

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Going OT here, but the vigorish on those 6 game parlays is pretty close to 300%.

It's absolutely criminal and makes Sports Select one of the biggest legalized scams out there, but I guess you can't stop people from burning money.
For the life of me I can't see why people play it when there are real betting options available. But to each there own.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

Pretty similar to my take as well.

Edmonds and Beyak are a a waste of airtime unless they are calling the game.

Kevin O's condescending sarcasm is absolutely unbearable. If he ditched the schtick and focused on interviewing people and leaving out the sarcasm the show would be much better.

Stuff like this. These aren't direct quotes but this is the type of stuff.

"You had predicted the Jets as 3rd overall at the quarter mark didn't you?"

"You had Hellebuck as a top goalie ahead of Mason didn't you?"

"We all had the Jets with the least amount of regulation losses at this point in the season didn't we?"

Well, some folks did.

Hopefully with some time he can iron out his on air personality and the show will improve.

The best part of tsn 1290 during this time of year is that the Assiniboine Downs Live Racing is closed for the winter and we don't have to listen to the infomercial.

I know that I may be in the minority but I do like the illegal curve show. I find that they have a wide variety of guests and some of the weird stuff not relating to hockey doesn't make me want to switch the dial.

Ralph and Hustler are good. They can't talk just hockey all the time.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
My take...

The Big Show - it took a big hit when Richardson got canned. There was real chemistry there. Then when Leibl left it took another hit. I like Westwood and Rewicki has grown on me. Toth is annoying as hell. But, Toth is the best front man of the three. Whenever Westwood is in charge it stinks...so they need to find a better main guy to run things and bounce off the other 2. Huss or Ralph? Nah I don’t think either would work. The reason Richardson worked was because he was more of a pop culture guy who could go off on tangents that weren’t sports related and be funny instead of lame (a la Toth). Toth thinks hair band squealing is hilarious. Maybe that’s what they need is someone who isn’t specifically a sports guy.

The Roundtable - I think Kevin O is trying. He seems to have calmed down a little, but he generally has a real schmarmy presentation. He sounds like a pitchman all the time - like he’s doing schtick. He has a real bad habit of talking over his guests when he thinks he’s got a good one to get in.

Hustler & Rick - I just don’t think these two really mesh very well. Ralph doesn’t add anything to the proceedings. You wouldn’t really even notice if he wasn’t there. And I’ll take this opportunity to again ask that somebody other than old ashtray throat (Morency) be a regular guest. That guy is just brutal! I find myself actually yelling “shut up!” at the radio when he’s on...

The IC Show - I don’t know. It seems like amateur hour to me.

I really don’t know what the solution is for the station. They could fill some time with national hockey/sports shows instead of rerunning the local shows. No garbage like Rome please! There has to be a couple smart, entertaining sports shows in syndication out there!

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

I could not care less about the betting. I’d prefer a segment on auto sport. But as radio goes, the 6 pack is utterly dreadful. Toth’s idiotic “smack talk” is just sooooooooo bad.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I'm retired so while I'm having a coffee or tooling around my workshop in the morning, I'll tune in 1290 on the mornings after Jet and/or Bomber games. There can be some good discussions. However, if I hear Toth getting "the fever" one more time and Westwood referencing "poop" in one form or another, I'll scream.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
My biggest beef is really not the station's fault, but I can't stand football or baseball talk on a Jets game day. I want hockey all day. I have a short commute — don't want it to the wrong sport

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
For the life of me I can't see why people play it when there are real betting options available. But to each there own.
The better betting options are mariujana stocks.
And they need to put Rick ralph back on his own.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My biggest beef is really not the station's fault, but I can't stand football or baseball talk on a Jets game day. I want hockey all day. I have a short commute — don't want it to the wrong sport
Yeah I'm a hockey guy well above any other sport and really only pay attention to hockey talk. I give 1290 the 1st chance and as long as they talk Jets or other NHL information I hang in with them. As soon as they move off to another sport I go to the NHL network on satellite.

Reactions: Fairview

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I’m not necessarily “NHL only” but i’m very much local sport-centric. Jets, Moose, Bombers, Goldeyes...sure. NFL, NBA, Golf, Soccer? Not so much. For me the breakdown should be something like 70% Jets/NHL, 20% other local teams and then fill up that last 10% with the other stuff.

Oh, and on game days that Jets percentage needs to be higher.

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Yeah I'm a hockey guy well above any other sport and really only pay attention to hockey talk. I give 1290 the 1st chance and as long as they talk Jets or other NHL information I hang in with them. As soon as they move off to another sport I go to the NHL network on satellite.

My commute this morning was golfing, betting, and weinstein.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
lol, Westie seems a tad touchy wrt his status as a kicker! Some guy called in and made a slightly negative comment about his performance over his career which I'm certain was intended as a bit of good-natured ball busting and Westwood went off on him! "I was good enough to do it for 18 years man what are your sports credentials?" :D I think Toth was a little surprised...

Charon2000

Jun 22, 2011
Winnipeg
Does the Jets post game show have any call delay ability? After the Nashville game there was a barrage of prank callers. Two callers asked Kevin O how big his manhood was (they asked it in a much more crude fashion) and both times it made it on the air. The pranks got so bad they shut down the phone lines with half an hour to go in the show. Either they have no call delay ability or whoever operates it was completely asleep at the switch. Either way, it blows my mind.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
lol, Westie seems a tad touchy wrt his status as a kicker! Some guy called in and made a slightly negative comment about his performance over his career which I'm certain was intended as a bit of good-natured ball busting and Westwood went off on him! "I was good enough to do it for 18 years man what are your sports credentials?" :D I think Toth was a little surprised...

Sounds like something Avgard would do

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
lol, Westie seems a tad touchy wrt his status as a kicker! Some guy called in and made a slightly negative comment about his performance over his career which I'm certain was intended as a bit of good-natured ball busting and Westwood went off on him! "I was good enough to do it for 18 years man what are your sports credentials?"
C:\Users\WARREN~1.KRE\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
I think Toth was a little surprised...
Westwood's greater than thou demeanor is starting to annoy the living hell out of me. Anytime anyone calls out his view, or disagrees with him, he is unable to handle it, gives attitude or throws little fits. Westwood also seems to believe he is the voice of truth with all things hockey, when fact is, many listeners can probably school him in the sport. I have tweeted him on aspects of his input during the big show that complete bunk. He does not discuss your view and the differences, just gets annoyed that anyone would have the gall to have a differing opinion or view.

I heard what you are talking about, and the caller was joking around. Westwood got all self-righteous with him, and came off sounding like a complete DBag. I liked Westwood a few years back when he started the gig. He was down to earth and didn’t take himself to serious. Now, he is getting to the point where I cant listen to him anymore. His attitude towards Toth, when he has a differing point of view is pathetic.
You were a kicker Troy, your expertise in sports does not go beyond that, and just and FYI, you are out to lunch many times with your POV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad