Recalled/Assigned: Zykov on waivers (Claimed by Vegas)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Crap on Chia all you want here but the fact remains that on a team that is starving for scoring from anyone not named McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH, he was not seen as a solution by Hitch. Chia grabbed Wideman and Zykov and Hitch has no use for either guy. We are swimming with bottom 6 guys and AHL/NHL tweeners on the big club and on the farm. I wish Zykov all the best but when the coach has no trust in you then it's hard to get out of the dog house.
Hitchcock sees Lucic as a better solution than most of our wingers otherwise he wouldn’t be getting PP minutes or anything above 4th line/press box duty.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Crap on Chia all you want here but the fact remains that on a team that is starving for scoring from anyone not named McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH, he was not seen as a solution by Hitch. Chia grabbed Wideman and Zykov and Hitch has no use for either guy. We are swimming with bottom 6 guys and AHL/NHL tweeners on the big club and on the farm. I wish Zykov all the best but when the coach has no trust in you then it's hard to get out of the dog house.

Why would Zykov be in a doghouse in the first place?

Does anybody have any backstory? The only thing we know is he had passport difficulty crossing the border into Canada. Sucks as well that it limited his GP here. I tend to think he would have showed just what he showed in Carolina just last season. This guy has filthy talent and quite a shot. He wasn't used right here and has to be played with talent. Why pick him up and not put him in topsix? Especially with a Chiasson IR this would have been the ideal time to do it. There was no reason to waive Zykov, none. We succeeded in helping a divisional rival deal with an injury.

sigh

Reactions: Jamin and Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hitchcock sees Lucic as a better solution than most of our wingers otherwise he wouldn’t be getting PP minutes or anything above 4th line/press box duty.

That can be taken a few ways but right now are Rieder or Caggiula outplaying Lucic? Sadly the answer is no. Here's to hoping that Yamamoto gains some traction and that Jesse and Khaira continue to improve their games or it's more of the same.

Why would Zykov be in a doghouse in the first place?

Does anybody have any backstory? The only thing we know is he had passport difficulty crossing the border into Canada. Sucks as well that it limited his GP here. I tend to think he would have showed just what he showed in Carolina just last season. This guy has filthy talent and quite a shot. He wasn't used right here and has to be played with talent. Why pick him up and not put him in topsix? Especially with a Chiasson IR this would have been the ideal time to do it. There was no reason to waive Zykov, none. We succeeded in helping a divisional rival deal with an injury.

sigh

No idea. Hitch raved about his shot in practice but as we all know, practice and game situations aren't the same. I saw a player that was a poor skater but had decent hands and offensive instincts. IMO the most puzzling player handling has been Marody. Guy is killing it in Bako but gets no opportunities here when he's been up.

Guy kind of reminded me of a less physical Pakarinen. Pakarinen when given space had a howitzer of a shot, the problem is that in today's NHL there is less and less time to get your shot dialed in and off your stick.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
@Bryanbryoil I don't buy the poor skater thing in the first place. I don't think his skating is poor, average maybe. But some of his goals in Carolina and AHL are coming off the trailer, which seems a great fit here given how much Drai likes to hit the trailer. I mean almost perfect. We just didn't use him in that capacity and he didn't see 1 EV minute with Draisaitl or on PP with Drai. Specifically, I think this player could work with Drai. If not with McD.

I mean we constantly use our D, who can barely shoot the puck as trailers and we didn't setup or scheme Zykov there. I mean just look at game film in AHl and Carolina and you could see it was an option they were running.

Here it just seems like a lack of due diligence. actually blaming Hitch for this one.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
So dumb, they never even gave him a chance just like Aberg. Whatever
Meanwhile Rattie continues to be gifted opportunities despite doing little with it but he's a good Canadian boy so it's all good.
I wouldn't say Rattie has been given much of a chance between the injuries and playing bottom 6 minutes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s just more poor management, shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Its like a soap story. We pretend to be surprised, shocked, react with emotion. Without which following the Oilers would be boring and, well, just sad..

Can't speak for anybody else but I don't mind some creation of drama and excitement because following the team is no great shakes. At least we have McDrai to watch.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
@Bryanbryoil I don't buy the poor skater thing in the first place. I don't think his skating is poor, average maybe. But some of his goals in Carolina and AHL are coming off the trailer, which seems a great fit here given how much Drai likes to hit the trailer. I mean almost perfect. We just didn't use him in that capacity and he didn't see 1 EV minute with Draisaitl or on PP with Drai. Specifically, I think this player could work with Drai. If not with McD.

I mean we constantly use our D, who can barely shoot the puck as trailers and we didn't setup or scheme Zykov there. I mean just look at game film in AHl and Carolina and you could see it was an option they were running.

Here it just seems like a lack of due diligence. actually blaming Hitch for this one.

I hear you, however they haven't put Jesse in that kind of a spot either on the PP. The coach had access to the player and decided he wasn't a fit so the manager cut him loose, at least that's my take on it.

Rattie has been doghoused under Hitch for the most part. Spooner is the one being granted 9 lives and doing little with it.

I am in the minority but I like Spooner, I'd sooner have him with RNH than Lucic or Rieder right now. Spooner-RNH-Puljujarvi should be a line IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tbh I'm pretty surprised to see how ineffective Rieder has been this season. I swear he was always a factor when playing against him, and how apparently sought after he was as a UFA

He was decent before he got hurt but he is not a threat at all to score with his shot. He needs to be put on a checking line and played on the PK, no more top 6.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Tbh I'm pretty surprised to see how ineffective Rieder has been this season. I swear he was always a factor when playing against him, and how apparently sought after he was as a UFA

He's been a good 200foot player and tireless worker up and down the ice but just completely snake bit. Has hit 2 goal posts and completely struggling with confidence around the net. He can be a 15-20 goal guy here but not showing that presently. The injury hasn't helped either. Rieder goals come from around the net and often off rebounds or rushes. He's not getting a lot of those looks here yet. Still think he'll score if they keep going with him.

He scored a goal in Cologne. heh. That felt like a big goal but I'm german descent saying that ;)

Reactions: Oilhawks

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
He was decent before he got hurt but he is not a threat at all to score with his shot. He needs to be put on a checking line and played on the PK, no more top 6.
Absolutely, this is not a top 6 guy. He has speed but so did Marchant, and like Marchant is a bottom 6, pk type

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's been a good 200foot player and tireless worker up and down the ice but just completely snake bit. Has hit 2 goal posts and completely struggling with confidence around the net. He can be a 15-20 goal guy here but not showing that presently. The injury hasn't helped either. Rieder goals come from around the net and often off rebounds or rushes. He's not getting a lot of those looks here yet. Still think he'll score if they keep going with him.

He scored a goal in Cologne. heh. That felt like a big goal but I'm german descent saying that ;)

I have time for the player but he needs to be better. Both Tobias and Drake showed some really solid play and then injuries hit and they are shadows of their former selves.

Absolutely, this is not a top 6 guy. He has speed but so did Marchant, and like Marchant is a bottom 6, pk type

Still a valuable player if he's playing at his best.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Would like to see him on a line with Kassian. I find Kass has been the best player that just hasn't been able to produce.

Would be interested to see something like

Draisaitl - McDavid - Rattie
Caggiula - RNH - Puljujarvi
Rieder - Khaira - Kassian
Lucic - Brodziak - whoever

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I really think Kassian would do best with a shoot-first player on his line.

It's easy to forget given his player profile, but he's actually quite a good playmaker.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Zykov will do well in Vegas, just watch. They will know how to properly utilize him unlike the Oilers. He has NHL level skill.

It just sucks. This was the one pickup I was really excited about, just 23 years old too. This would have been the perfect time to give him a real shot with Chiasson going down. Oh well

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Zykov will do well in Vegas, just watch. They will know how to properly utilize him unlike the Oilers. He has NHL level skill.

It just sucks. This was the one pickup I was really excited about, just 23 years old too.
How com the team that drafted him, passed on getting him back twice?

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
It's a shame he was claimed; I'm sure they would have preferred that he squeaked through. However they shouldn't be surprised as he has an intriguing skill set. They had a month with him though. Obviously there was something they didn't like.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Would like to see him on a line with Kassian. I find Kass has been the best player that just hasn't been able to produce.

Would be interested to see something like

Draisaitl - McDavid - Rattie
Caggiula - RNH - Puljujarvi
Rieder - Khaira - Kassian
Lucic - Brodziak - whoever

Spooner should be in the "whoever" spot or in Rieder's spot.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It's a shame he was claimed; I'm sure they would have preferred that he squeaked through. However they shouldn't be surprised as he has an intriguing skill set. They had a month with him though. Obviously there was something they didn't like.

On the bright side it frees up a roster spot. I would've preferred that he cleared and then got hot in Bako and earned a recall.

Reactions: Shathar

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Meh, he was Russian. Always a long shot that we weren't going to totally bungle his handling. I hope he does well in Vegas, he has an interesting tool set.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad