Recalled/Assigned: Zykov on waivers (Claimed by Vegas)

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
this guy ain't a shooter.
5 games, 51 shifts and 35 mins of playing time and not 1 single shot on net.

Yeah, it doesn't matter if you're playing on the 4th line. You need to do something. What's being lost that is that 4th lines usually play against inferior competition. Why would you bump a guy to the top 2 lines if you can't produce a shot against weaker competition?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Asset is asset whether it was free or not. It's like someone giving you $10,000 and you decide to blow it off in one night instead of putting into the saving account and building something with it

5 games with limited time is not a good assessment for any player regardless of they're waiver wire or not.

A useless asset.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Why are people assuming this is the last we see of him in an Oiler uniform?

space321

May 11, 2011
here is where this board splits it's logic down the middle

this guy was brought in to create scoring away from the top guys you want him to play with

nearly anyone can score with McDavid, Leon and Nuge--oilers need more scoring away from those 3 and that is what they hoped this guy could do

I agree-he did not play with the top guys and the reason for that? that is not why he was brought in for--he was brought in for secondary scoring--which he did not provide

Same with Tobias Reider--Tobiad Rieder was brought in for secondary scoring as well and it was his injury that partly lead to claiming this guy--well Reider is now back and he plays a better two way game then Zykov. Reider has also shown more life and it sounds like Russell will be ready shortly--so someone had to go.

our latest losing streak started with the D men going down and now it looks like one is coming back--we are about to have too many D-men--but the way they go down--we may need them more then Zykov.

It was only a 5 game try out but it is up to the player to make the most of it and I admit I only watched two of his games and I think he is just not good enough against NHL D-men--many ahl scorers are like that

observation end

He might not be good enough, but 30 minutes TOI is hardly enough to come to that conclusion. What exactly do you expect him to show in his 8 shifts per game playing alongside Spooner?

According to hockey-reference, McDavid has 671 EVTOI this season, and scored 35 points. That's 3.1 points per 60 minutes or 1.55 points per 30. If McDavid had Zykov's ice time he'd score 1.5 points over that 5 games. And then we'd probably end up shitting on him because 1.5 points over 5 games is brutal.

The bigger problem is the rest of our useless players continue to get ice time despite showing zero results. Do you think Lucic is good enough against NHL dmen? What about Kassian? Those two continue to get 13-15 minutes ice time per GAME. Exactly how many wins have they contribute to? ZERO. Just looking at Kassian's game logs makes me want to puke.

space321

May 11, 2011

Who is? We picked him up to see if he can be a semi-useful winger, but waived him before giving him a shot with decent linemates. But here's the situation, the guy is 23, we're not developing him anymore. We needed to know what we had in this player, but 30 minutes TOI over 5 games doesn't do that imo.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, it doesn't matter if you're playing on the 4th line. You need to do something. What's being lost that is that 4th lines usually play against inferior competition. Why would you bump a guy to the top 2 lines if you can't produce a shot against weaker competition?

The guy had 18mins in his last 4 games here (out of only 5 played) Buried in bottomsix. With plugs that don't get many shots and don't score any goals. We're talking around 8 short shifts a night. While being told essentially not to get scored against and don't do anything dumb out there or your scratched the next game, again.

Meanwhile Spoonfed has 5 pts in half an NHL season while getting regular minutes and while even being in topsix at times as well as PP. But THAT guy gets toi because Chia traded Chia hockey cards for him.

Its actually a classic Chia trade. Him trading one player that didn't work out for another that didn't work out.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He might not be good enough, but 30 minutes TOI is hardly enough to come to that conclusion. What exactly do you expect him to show in his 8 shifts per game playing alongside Spooner?

According to hockey-reference, McDavid has 671 EVTOI this season, and scored 35 points. That's 3.1 points per 60 minutes or 1.55 points per 30. If McDavid had Zykov's ice time he'd score 1.5 points over that 5 games. And then we'd probably end up ****ting on him because 1.5 points over 5 games is brutal.

The bigger problem is the rest of our useless players continue to get ice time despite showing zero results. Do you think Lucic is good enough against NHL dmen? What about Kassian? Those two continue to get 13-15 minutes ice time per GAME. Exactly how many wins have they contribute to? ZERO. Just looking at Kassian's game logs makes me want to puke.

Yeah, people make a comment like "how come he didn't do anything without even realizing the guy had 30mins toi here buried in bottomsix spread through 5 games. Nobody produces that way. The average point production in our bottomsix this year would be sub 1pt/EV60mins. So being on par would be Zykov having half a point. Which somehow eluded him. (sarcasm) ;)

Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, people make a comment like "how come he didn't do anything without even realizing the guy had 30mins toi here buried in bottomsix spread through 5 games. Nobody produces that way. The average point production in our bottomsix this year would be sub 1pt/EV60mins. So being on par would be Zykov having half a point. Which somehow eluded him. (sarcasm) ;)
He can go join your boy Slepyshev and go barely be a third liner in the KHL ;)

Reactions: joestevens29

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
here is where this board splits it's logic down the middle

this guy was brought in to create scoring away from the top guys you want him to play with

nearly anyone can score with McDavid, Leon and Nuge--oilers need more scoring away from those 3 and that is what they hoped this guy could do

I agree-he did not play with the top guys and the reason for that? that is not why he was brought in for--he was brought in for secondary scoring--which he did not provide

Same with Tobias Reider--Tobiad Rieder was brought in for secondary scoring as well and it was his injury that partly lead to claiming this guy--well Reider is now back and he plays a better two way game then Zykov. Reider has also shown more life and it sounds like Russell will be ready shortly--so someone had to go.

our latest losing streak started with the D men going down and now it looks like one is coming back--we are about to have too many D-men--but the way they go down--we may need them more then Zykov.

It was only a 5 game try out but it is up to the player to make the most of it and I admit I only watched two of his games and I think he is just not good enough against NHL D-men--many ahl scorers are like that

observation end
Oh yeah cause Leon has done so much scoring away from Mcdavid. Anyone can score with Mcdavid and yet we are wasting an 8.5 million dollar player on that line? Zykov had literally no time to even carve out a niche here. Our record was like 4-1 before Hitchcock pulled him out of a winning line up just to get Cagguila back in and he proceeded to shit the bed and make plays that cost the team points. Than what Zykov got like 2 games before being waived played barely any minutes and having 15 plus minutes between shifts and people here act like he failed when it was basically impossible for him to exceed anyones expectations if thats how people view it now.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
People keep bringing up Aberg(which you are hinting upon) Aberg in the last 8 games has 1 g 1a and is averaging 18 minutes a night. HE has one good game in 6 to prop up his stats or two games in a row.

The Ducks like the Oilers are on a 4 game losing streak as well

Who would you like Aberg or Chaisson? We already the guy clicking for scoring with McDavid and Leon--we need players to score away from them
The guy leads the Ducks in goals take a second to think about how much worse the Ducks would be in the standings if you removed his production from that team.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

I think it's because they're expecting him to be picked up on waivers. Carolina is a good bet considering we grabbed him from them. But there is 7 other teams in front the Hurricanes. I'm pretty sure with his age and the fact he led the AHL in goals last season someone still takes a chance on Zykov.

I too am disappointed. I'm a Oilers fan. I want every player to succeed here.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The guy leads the Ducks in goals take a second to think about how much worse the Ducks would be in the standings if you removed his production from that team.

He is playing with Gets--Chaisson is getting his pts and goals here---Aberg is playing on the top line
Gets is the driver on that line not aberg and like I said he is streaky

space321

May 11, 2011
He is playing with Gets--Chaisson is getting his pts and goals here---Aberg is playing on the top line
Gets is the driver on that line not aberg and like I said he is streaky

Our wingers aren't streaky, but they also don't score at all

I don't think we really should be picky about streaky scorers, we can use another Chiasson

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think it's because they're expecting him to be picked up on waivers. Carolina is a good bet considering we grabbed him from them. But there is 7 other teams in front the Hurricanes. I'm pretty sure with his age and the fact he led the AHL in goals last season someone still takes a chance on Zykov.

I too am disappointed. I'm a Oilers fan. I want every player to succeed here.
It’s pretty rare for a guy to get waived twice and claimed both times. It has happened but it’s not super likely.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So dumb to waive him without ever even getting him a legit chance in the lineup. I thought he looked good in his limited shifts and on a couple of them he actually created some dangerous scoring chances. That's more than you can say for a lot of the forwards on this team.

And now we called up Yamamoto instead, who'd be much better off marinating in the AHL and learning the pro game there. Ahhhhhhhh, this organization sometimes :skeptic:

space321

May 11, 2011
So dumb to waive him without ever even getting him a legit chance in the lineup. I thought he looked good in his limited shifts and on a couple of them he actually created some dangerous scoring chances. That's more than you can say for a lot of the forwards on this team.

And now we called up Yamamoto instead, who'd be much better off marinating in the AHL and learning the pro game there. Ahhhhhhhh, this organization sometimes :skeptic:

Yup, and once Yamamoto stagnates because he's not ready for full time NHL, we'll be running him out of town. The cycle never ends.

Reactions: TB12 and Pointteen

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
People keep bringing up Aberg(which you are hinting upon) Aberg in the last 8 games has 1 g 1a and is averaging 18 minutes a night. HE has one good game in 6 to prop up his stats or two games in a row.

The Ducks like the Oilers are on a 4 game losing streak as well

Who would you like Aberg or Chaisson? We already the guy clicking for scoring with McDavid and Leon--we need players to score away from them

Why not take his whole season into account for Aberg? 33 GP, 11G, 8A, 19P
That would make him 5th in scoring, 1 point back of Chiasson. 6 points ahead of the next winger

For a team hurting for winger scoring, it more than worth criticizing.

God forbid we have a little depth and go beyond "the guy clicking for scoring with McDavid and Leon".
Nuge needs wingers too.

My point is letting players like Yamamoto (and even Puljujarvi) develop longer rather than rushing the recall is more beneficial to both the player and team.

Regarding Zykov who has had his fair share of experience in the AHL, we would at least have better answers on how he fits with the team if we tried him a prolonged top 6 role. I don't think we even played him enough to know what we have in the player do you?

Reactions: McCupofOil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad