Recalled/Assigned: Zykov on waivers (Claimed by Vegas)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lets be clear here. Zykov played only 5 games here. He was scratched far more games. He played a total of 30mins in those games, buried in the lineup. I think he got 2-3 topsix shifts his whole time here.

Take away the 12mins he got in his first game here, with no familiarity, and he only had 18mins in the remaining 4 games. This working out to an average of 8shifts/night. 2-3 per period in your rare starts. Virtually nobody could get untracked in that kind of toi.

The funniest thing is Zykov was on the ice so rarely half the time he was getting confused with Spooner. #23 vs #73. with the play by play being Spooner passes to spooner, no wait....

Reactions: ujju2

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think there may be a decent player there... well at least good enough to compete with about 7 or 8 other forwards on the Oilers for a spot.

It's too bad he hasn't got more of a look but the numbers game favours more established players so we won't find out if they might have another Chiasson level or even Caggiula level player there.

I thought he was a pretty solid, low risk gamble to pick up... being the best goal scorer last year in the AHL but hopefully he passes through waivers and they can see what he can do in the AHL and potentially be another asset they can call up at some point if he plays well down there.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
So stupid. A team starved for shooters doesn't give a shooter the opportunity to play with anyone who can pass the puck. As if we don't have 3 guys who all excel in that category.

Reactions: ujju2

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Or maybe just maybe these guys are useless and have lazy habits that all coaches can't stand
Didn't look lazy, at all. In fact the 4th line looked its best when it was Zykov-Spooner-Rattie. If Spooner was capable of beating a goalie one on one Zykov probably has atleast a few apples in his limited time here.

Reactions: Pointteen

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Didn't see him in practice, but I would think Hitch got enough of a look at him to get a good idea as to what he is, despite the lack of game exposure. But I would suspect they cut him loose for the same reasons he can't find any traction in Carolina - skating isn't up to snuff.

At any rate, no big deal. A no risk add, and a no risk loss.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Bet he gets picked up by a competent organization like the Ducks and flourishes.

Meanwhile we'll deploy the tactic of calling up one of our fringe prospects only just getting some traction at the AHL level and wedge them into the NHL lineup praying they're a solution instead of letting them develop for prolonged period of time.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So stupid. A team starved for shooters doesn't give a shooter the opportunity to play with anyone who can pass the puck. As if we don't have 3 guys who all excel in that category.

here is where this board splits it's logic down the middle

this guy was brought in to create scoring away from the top guys you want him to play with

nearly anyone can score with McDavid, Leon and Nuge--oilers need more scoring away from those 3 and that is what they hoped this guy could do

I agree-he did not play with the top guys and the reason for that? that is not why he was brought in for--he was brought in for secondary scoring--which he did not provide

Same with Tobias Reider--Tobiad Rieder was brought in for secondary scoring as well and it was his injury that partly lead to claiming this guy--well Reider is now back and he plays a better two way game then Zykov. Reider has also shown more life and it sounds like Russell will be ready shortly--so someone had to go.

our latest losing streak started with the D men going down and now it looks like one is coming back--we are about to have too many D-men--but the way they go down--we may need them more then Zykov.

It was only a 5 game try out but it is up to the player to make the most of it and I admit I only watched two of his games and I think he is just not good enough against NHL D-men--many ahl scorers are like that

observation end

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They brushed Aberg aside because Mclellan didn't like him, gave him no chance to continue with Draisaitl in the preseason so of course he failed playing with plugs in the bottom 6.

They pick Zykov up as a potential goal scorer and gave a revolving door of wingers opportunities on the top 2 lines yet Zykov never got a sniff. Yet in the same token, Rattie keeps getting opportunities on the top line despite doing little with it. It's just weird that they pick this guy up and give him no opportunity whatsoever. The whole Canadian thing is hyperbole, just frustration on my part.

Aberg was the worst RW in training camp among the NHL hopefuls. Rattie has hardly played on the top line, last night he got 2 periods because Chaisson was hurt. He has mostly spent time in the press box or on the 4th line. McDavid has IIRC played largely with Chaisson and Cagguilla after Rattie went down with injury early in the year.

Was surprised Zykov wasn't given much of a sniff on the top 2 lines as well but he is a waiver wire player. Was not going to make much of an impact either way.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Bet he gets picked up by a competent organization like the Ducks and flourishes.

Meanwhile we'll deploy the tactic of calling up one of our fringe prospects only just getting some traction at the AHL level and wedge them into the NHL lineup praying they're a solution instead of letting them develop for prolonged period of time.

People keep bringing up Aberg(which you are hinting upon) Aberg in the last 8 games has 1 g 1a and is averaging 18 minutes a night. HE has one good game in 6 to prop up his stats or two games in a row.

The Ducks like the Oilers are on a 4 game losing streak as well

Who would you like Aberg or Chaisson? We already the guy clicking for scoring with McDavid and Leon--we need players to score away from them

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Waiving Zykov is a waste of asset. Kind of what Chia is really good at

and what did we give up for him? it was a free asset that did not fit in and so you cut your loses

he brought in for secondary scoring not primary scoring--the math here for me is simple and I think it is a cop out posters keeping saying he should have played with the top guy--the top line is getting 2 goals a game--we need scoring from other lines--the top line needs no help--the other lines do and this guy was not the answer

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
and what did we give up for him? it was a free asset that did not fit in and so you cut your loses

he brought in for secondary scoring not primary scoring--the math here for me is simple and I think it is a cop out posters keeping saying he should have played with the top guy--the top line is getting 2 goals a game--we need scoring from other lines--the top line needs no help--the other lines do and this guy was not the answer
Asset is asset whether it was free or not. It's like someone giving you $10,000 and you decide to blow it off in one night instead of putting into the saving account and building something with it

5 games with limited time is not a good assessment for any player regardless of they're waiver wire or not.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Asset is asset whether it was free or not. It's like someone giving you $10,000 and you decide to blow it off in one night instead of putting into the saving account and building something with it

5 games with limited time is not a good assessment for any player regardless of they're waiver wire or not.

he was brought in for secondary scoring and struggled and Reider came back--comes down to the numbers game. Reider is better and the two way game--while not scoring he can play at both ends--something the other guy could not do

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Would've like to see him play with Connor, if even for a handful of shifts. But the move makes sense now that Khaira is cleared to play. Don't miss what you have until it's gone. Having JJ back must be a nice feeling for Jesse and Nuge, he's the glue for that line.

Last edited:

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
here is where this board splits it's logic down the middle

this guy was brought in to create scoring away from the top guys you want him to play with

nearly anyone can score with McDavid, Leon and Nuge--oilers need more scoring away from those 3 and that is what they hoped this guy could do

I agree-he did not play with the top guys and the reason for that? that is not why he was brought in for--he was brought in for secondary scoring--which he did not provide

Same with Tobias Reider--Tobiad Rieder was brought in for secondary scoring as well and it was his injury that partly lead to claiming this guy--well Reider is now back and he plays a better two way game then Zykov. Reider has also shown more life and it sounds like Russell will be ready shortly--so someone had to go.

our latest losing streak started with the D men going down and now it looks like one is coming back--we are about to have too many D-men--but the way they go down--we may need them more then Zykov.

It was only a 5 game try out but it is up to the player to make the most of it and I admit I only watched two of his games and I think he is just not good enough against NHL D-men--many ahl scorers are like that

observation end

I don't think so. Zykov hasn't been able to create chances for himself very well, mainly due to poor skating. He was never going to be a good bottom 6 player, too slow and shitty defensively. He is a trigger man, in a similar fashion to Chiasson. Except Chiasson is pretty decent defensively. Rieder is middle 6 player and was brought in for PK ability and some speed.

Playing him with Spooner and other plugs wasn't goign to get him any further than he got with Carolina.

I am not saying he should have been stapled to one of our 3 offensive players but they didn't even give him a chance. Only so much a guy can do playing with 4th liners getting 5 minutes a night.

Agreed that D men are coming back but we could have very well waived Garrison who is not an NHL Dman anymore. Easily been surpassed by Gravel and Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad