Zykov and a conditional fifth for Versteeg (No salary retained.)

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Versteeg's 33 points this season put him seventh on the Kings in terms of scoring.

Everyone blowing a gasket over this deal surely means he'll succeed in his role.

I wouldn't generalize it as everyone but there are a bunch of people that get all lathered up.

Haven't seen Zykov in person play but it's been noted on here and via a few other avenues that his progression is not going as expected. Now, is that due to injury or something else, time will tell.

Have no problem with this deal. Hope to see another piece added on defense today. Just hope it's not a guy like Kris Russell.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago

It's like he doesn't even want to be here :sarcasm:

rip versteeg

honestly though, i don't see how this isn't a win. Versteeg's not going to be like a HUGE impact addition, but he adds some additional scoring touch to the bottom 6 (or where ever Sutter's blender lands him) for pennies on the dollar, and we lost nothing of real value at this time. Zykov seems like he's been trending down for awhile compared to a lot of other guys in our farm system, and a 5th is practically nothing in my eyes.

TradeMadeMeSignUp

Jan 6, 2016
I'm on the boat that they didn't give up much but they also didn't get back much, I hope I'm wrong. 1 step closer to not seeing SHORE in the lineup, that's a big deal to me. Shore makes a case every game for himself to be benched, now he can be benched.

TradeMadeMeSignUp

Jan 6, 2016
People say the Hurricanes are the weakest Cup champions ever (which I find to be a laughable statement) and continue to discredit the Kings.

These people Shark fans? Idk how you can discredit the 14 run. Even the 12 run was just dominant. It's fun to be a fan of a hated team for being good. Ever since the Kings won the cup, every trade DL makes gets hated on and the main boards calls it a "fleecing" or "highway robbery" by the other GM.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I think his regression is misleading, as he's been dealing with a bum elbow most of the year.

Where are you getting this information from?

This was never mentioned by Stothers, Zyk, anyone inside the Reign locker room, the development staff, and Zyk never visibly had any thing on or around his elbow that would suggest soreness. This includes after the games when it would probably be sore.

Maybe they are just really really good at hiding it. Could happen. But absolutely zero people I have talked have said anything and there is zero evidence from my naked eye that suggests he had a "bum elbow"

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

This was never mentioned by Stothers, Zyk, anyone inside the Reign locker room, the development staff, and Zyk never visibly had any thing on or around his elbow that would suggest soreness. This includes after the games when it would probably be sore.

Maybe they are just really really good at hiding it. Could happen. But absolutely zero people I have talked have said anything and there is zero evidence from my naked eye that suggests he had a "bum elbow"

Most recently, today by STothers...

http://lakingsinsider.com/2016/02/29/valentin-zykov-to-carolina-hurricanes-kris-versteeg-trade/
Zykov, a rookie out of St. Petersburgh, Russia, had 7 goals and 7 assists in 43 games with the Reign. He did not travel with the team last weekend for a back-to-back against Texas due to an aggravated elbow injury, according to head coach Mike Stothers.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008

Check out the Reign thread, he's been having to drain fluid from his elbow.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
When the Kings can't resign Lucic, and Versteeg who the hell are they going to replace these guys with no. Plus they still are going to need salary cap space for Toffoli. If i was him i wouldn't take less than what Brown is getting. They need to get Dustin Brown off the books when the playoffs are over, and try to rework parts of the roster. Bring in some younger role players to lower the cap.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
The Kings need their prospects to pan out because if they don't their screwed. They don't have enough of them. Especially top 6 prospects.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
The Kings need their prospects to pan out because if they don't their screwed. They don't have enough of them. Especially top 6 prospects.

they have no top 6 prospects aside from Kempe as far as i'm aware, which is likely a big factor in why DL and company have expressed reluctance to throw more high picks for rentals this year

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I'm fine with the trade. It sounds like Zykov wasn't going to be in Kings plans so might as well get something for him.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
why would we get rid of Brown or Gaborik? who would you target and what else would you give up? it's really not worth it to **** with chemistry that much in the middle of the season, and I don't think it's worth it regardless unless we're in full-blown rebuilding mode.

getting anyone to take either of those guys means the Kings would have to sweeten the pot, and we're already pretty bare on prospects and picks, meaning they'd likely have to throw in additional roster players. I don't see what team would take on at least 7M of cap space for 2-3 3rd and 4th liners and still give us anything of value back.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I think it would help Brown if he wasn't the Captain anymore. Give it to Doughty or Kopitar. It embarrasses the team when your captain plays like Brown has. Look what happened with the Sharks when Pavelski was made C.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00