Zykov and a conditional fifth for Versteeg (No salary retained.)

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He was soft garbage as expected, ending up on the 4th line and a minus one.

Meh, I thought he was alright. I actually thought he tipped Pearson's goal at first, he went right to the net on the face-off and was a big reason that goal went in.

I don't think he had a whole lot to do with that ridiculous bounce on the 2nd goal. And he was right where he should have been for the first goal, Pearson was the one out of position who fell when he tried to recover.

He did look out of place because of his play style.

TradeMadeMeSignUp

Jan 6, 2016
But it has already been said about them.

Early returns are not positive. Let's hope against hope that he doesn't look lost in a big game tomorrow.

Don't expect it, but I'd love to eat crow.

I'm not sure what you expect, all I expect is a depth forward that will play 3rd or 4th line when Gaborik gets back. As long as he's better than Andreoff/Shore/Nolan, I'm happy with that. He had a game where he looked nervous and had a bad offensive zone penalty. We'll see what happens but I'm not expecting much to begin with.

TradeMadeMeSignUp

Jan 6, 2016
Frolov, Pushkarev, Voynov, Zykov, by now Dean must hate Russian players..

Let's not forget Lotkionov, Prokhorin, and Kitsyn. Let's just hope Alexander Dergachyov doesn't become another name on that list.

Who's the last Russian that worked out for the Kings? Zhitnik? I guess Voynov was working out before he put his wife through a tv.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Let's not forget Lotkionov, Prokhorin, and Kitsyn. Let's just hope Alexander Dergachyov doesn't become another name on that list.

Who's the last Russian that worked out for the Kings? Zhitnik? I guess Voynov was working out before he put his wife through a tv.

I'd say Frolov worked out fine given he lasted here for 7 seasons, it's just that the coaches got tired of him taking many nights off and by the time he became a UFA there really was no reason to bring him back.

Like you said with Voynov, he worked out fine, until he became a violent POS off the ice and has now ruined his career.

Kings also still Damir Sharipzyanov in the system.

TradeMadeMeSignUp

Jan 6, 2016
I'd say Frolov worked out fine given he lasted here for 7 seasons, it's just that the coaches got tired of him taking many nights off and by the time he became a UFA there really was no reason to bring him back.

Like you said with Voynov, he worked out fine, until he became a violent POS off the ice and has now ruined his career.

Kings also still Damir Sharipzyanov in the system.

Yeah, Frolov worked out but he fit the typical Russian mold. He could have been so much better.

My last memory (fitting I guess) of Frolov was his wraparound goal against the Canucks in the game 6 loss in 2010. I was at that game. Of course what I won't forget about that series is how the Kings were up 2-1 at home with a 1 goal lead in the 3rd period and Frolov didn't score on a breakaway and of course the Canucks came back and won.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I thought Versteeg looked decent in the offensive zone, and on the PP with Lecavalier and Lucic.

However, I thought he bobbled the puck more often than he didn't, which was irritating.

He was the screen on Pearson's goal.

But he was on the ice for 2 goals against.

Although he can't really be held responsible for either. (bad Scuderi pass/Pearson falling down and a Doughty deflection/weak shot on Quick.)

Mixed bag, pretty meh first game. But not awful.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought Versteeg had a pretty terrible first game but it's clear Sutter didn't really hate it so whatever. Seemed like the puck was bouncing for EVERYONE and for a guy like Versteeg, who plays a bit like Williams, that's a death sentence and it showed. I liked his offensive instincts and you can see the creativity, I think he can be a good depth forward until Gabby gets back (hopefully :( ) and we can go from there. I'm willing to give him more than 10 minutes before a public execution, but maybe its just me, heh.

I think Saturday will be the real test of what he's got.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As an aside, man, I REALLY liked VInny's game last night, that guy has playoff darkhorse series winner written all over him, like will do nothing of note for a few games then pop in 2 goals in a crucial game once we've worn an opposing bottom 6 down.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
As an aside, man, I REALLY liked VInny's game last night, that guy has playoff darkhorse series winner written all over him, like will do nothing of note for a few games then pop in 2 goals in a crucial game once we've worn an opposing bottom 6 down.

Vinny looks like he's always a threat to make something happen when he's on the ice, which is really refreshing compared to the days of just crossing my fingers and praying that Stoll wouldn't take an offensive zone penalty for doing something ****ing dumb

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Agreed regarding Vinny. He seems to always be creating opportunities in the offensive zone and setting up these great passes. Unfortunately, stone hand Lewis can't score on them. I can't wait until Gabbo is reunited with Vinny on the third line. I envision the lines to look like this when he comes back:

Lucic-Kopitar-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Versteeg
King-Lecavs-Gaborik
Brown-AA-Lewis/Clifford

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Versteeg on the 4th line with Benders like Clifford and Shore lol. And you expect him to gel with the team. Explain again why Sutter is not a problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->