Zykov and a conditional fifth for Versteeg (No salary retained.)

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
The only reason why i may have a problem with this deal is that Lombardi could have dangled Zykov for someone with better skill. Perhaps bend Benning over for Vrbata and Hamhuis.

Vancouver wants a high pick+prospect for Hamhuis, at least that's what was reported in regards to blackhawks interest in him and price too high.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Vrbata is hurt and really hasn't done well at all this year. Pass on him. Hamhuis alone would probably cost at least Zykov.

Of the remaining available forwards, Versteeg was a solid choice. Nice trade.

Again, i'm not against it; just wondering what else could have been available.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I'm sure Stempniak's asking price was way too high, Versteeg is a fine alternative. He's been in championship winning scenario's and will add RW depth.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Zykov didn't figure into the immediate and future plans of the team, and according to Andy Tonge and Jerome Berube, Zykov hasn't really shown much progression.

I think the Kings also view some of their junior prospects like Mistele, Amadio and Watson as guys who may have surpassed him in their organizational charts.

I'm not really torn over losing Zykov, it's not like they dealt Kempe.

Interested to hear what the conditions are for the draft pick.

If zykov has stalled mistele has REALLY stalled. At least Zykov managed to make AHL at 20, unlike mistele who is back in junior as an overager.

mattgkg

Jan 16, 2015
zykov took too many selfish penalties and has a pretty awful elbow injury that is keeping him from training at all due to the constant draining. could be a steal if he never pans out.

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
I've never really been that crazy about Versteeg, and from what I have been hearing he is kinda washed up, but we will see. Every time Dean has made a trade that I hated, they went on to win the cup (I did not want Carter due to his attitude in Columbus, and I didn't really want Gabby since he was so injury prone). This year, Dean has now made one trade that I hated at the time (Never liked Lucic until now), and I'm not too crazy about the Versteeg trade. If the trend continues, we will be winning another Cup! Lol

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Zykov has 7 goals and 14 points in 43 games in the AHL. I'd say those numbers are concerning and raises a red flag that he may have regressed.

Stats are decieving. His usage has been really sketchy. Not much powerplay time at all, gets generally 3rd line minutes, with JST and Cresc. Not exactly powerhouses offensively. Night I tracked him he was playing around 12 minutes.

So, it's really a chicken/egg sort of thing. Was he not scoring cause he wasn't playing much? Or was he not playing much cause he wasn't scoring?

Stothers pointed out his defensive zone and neutral zone stuff on more than one occasion as things they were "Working on" with him. He's a heck of a skater, and might have the best puck handling skills 1v1 on the current Reign team. But those kinds of things aren't THAT important to the Kings organization, whereas structure, and defensive work are. Good move for everyone really. Kings capitalize on value, Zykov goes somewhere that might better suit his skillset.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think his regression is misleading, as he's been dealing with a bum elbow most of the year.

He also had stagnated in production since his rookie year in the Q. Even if he has had injury issues this year, he just hasn't adjusted to additional attention or more difficult competition.

Zykov's biggest trait is his competitiveness. He just never quits on the puck. His skillset never really wowed me, though, and his production since getting drafted has regressed every year.

It's a good trade for both teams. Kings get a 3rd liner who can play now and pay a prospect who COULD be a 2nd liner, but more than likely would be a 3rd liner.

But with Mersch, Kempe, Amadio, Zykov was falling down the depth chart in prospects.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
2012 CARTER
2014 GABORIK
2016 VERSTEEG

Which one is not like the others? Can hope that the fax machine is jammed and can't
get the documents in until the deadline passes...1 in 2 million chance, maybe..but that's still a chance.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Good luck w/ Versteeg mates. He wasn't lighting the place up here but I thought he performed admirably here. Like Sekera he seemed like the kind of player that a team going for a cup/playoff run looks for. :cheers:

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
2012 CARTER
2014 GABORIK
2016 VERSTEEG

Which one is not like the others? Can hope that the fax machine is jammed and can't
get the documents in until the deadline passes...1 in 2 million chance, maybe..but that's still a chance.

Change Versteeg to Lucic.

Having said that, I think Versteeg will do well here for the kings.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I've been a fan of Versteeg for a while. Always thought it'd be cool to have him on the Kings. Seems like a great guy. Haven't seen him play a game in years though.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
2012 CARTER
2014 GABORIK
2016 VERSTEEG

...how about we let him play a few games first? Didn't people say the same garbage about Vinny?

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Zykov has 7 goals and 14 points in 43 games in the AHL. I'd say those numbers are concerning and raises a red flag that he may have regressed.

I'm ok with the trade but you do know he has had some injurys that has slowed him. I think he will turn out to be a decent 3rd liner just not the top end talent as first thought.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
I'm just disappointed in Gaborik. I suppose it's his off year that he has every other due to whatever it is. I am torn on if I'd be cool with the Kings trading him in the offseason to free space.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Good luck w/ Versteeg mates. He wasn't lighting the place up here but I thought he performed admirably here. Like Sekera he seemed like the kind of player that a team going for a cup/playoff run looks for. :cheers:

Cheers. I hope Zykov works out for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad