Zykov and a conditional fifth for Versteeg (No salary retained.)

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
lisa dillman ‏@reallisa 5m5 minutes ago
Per @lakingsinsider on Zykov/conditional pick being return for Versteeg. Another detail: Condition based on LAK playoff success & GP.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
This. I don't see this as an upgrade to be honest and he doesn't play physical...

Depth to bottom 6, has more offensive touch than them, not every player needs to be super physical, adding bit of offense to bottom 6 isn't worst thing.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
Zykov's been injured with a hernia and an infected elbow. Hardly means he hasn't panned out.

Get tossed.

No one is saying he's a bust, but he's definitely not progressed as the team would have liked, and Mersch passed him on depth chart making him expendable, as been saying Kempe already not going anywhere, so Zykov is one dealt.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Zykov didn't figure into the immediate and future plans of the team, and according to Andy Tonge and Jerome Berube, Zykov hasn't really shown much progression.

I think the Kings also view some of their junior prospects like Mistele, Amadio and Watson as guys who may have surpassed him in their organizational charts.

I'm not really torn over losing Zykov, it's not like they dealt Kempe.

Interested to hear what the conditions are for the draft pick.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
That's probably fine. Zyk is a good player, but this system would probably kill his offensive potential. Good for the Kings to perhaps jump on moving him now versus waiting too long and seeing his value decrease.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I think Zykov has been a healthy scratch lately. Was pretty sure he would be involved in any trade. Kings still have cap space. Wonder if they're done. Probably.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
If you compare to what the Canes got in return for Staal, and what they got for Versteeg, they DEFINITELY got the better deal from us, for what they gave up.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Zykov will probably develop nicely once he gets that elbow sorted out, but that doesn't help us win waiting for him.

Also wondering if this meant there was a good chance Porks was coming over, we'll see.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Also, I don't really care who it was we gave up, as long as its not Kempe.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
You guys are forgetting Versteeg's greatest asset. He can rap at the Kings' Cup parade in June.

lol.

But seriously, Zykov isn't a guaranteed asset and the management wasn't sure about his viability in the NHL, so they added a decent vet with excellent playoff experience. He will definitely help us in some way, just gotta wait and see by how much. I'm uneasy about the deal, but trust our management with making the call, I don't watch the kid every day so just have to sit back and see how it all plays out.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
The only reason why i may have a problem with this deal is that Lombardi could have dangled Zykov for someone with better skill. Perhaps bend Benning over for Vrbata and Hamhuis.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The only reason why i may have a problem with this deal is that Lombardi could have dangled Zykov for someone with better skill. Perhaps bend Benning over for Vrbata and Hamhuis.

Meh, but then you have to add much more to it. In this scenario, we get a veteran winger without breaking the bank, giving up a high pick, or giving up a roster player. We added really good playoff experience and depth without giving up anything considerable for a playoff contender.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

How do you know he didn't and the Nucks weren't interested.

Every organization has different needs and different views on others teams players/prospects.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Zykov has 7 goals and 14 points in 43 games in the AHL. I'd say those numbers are concerning and raises a red flag that he may have regressed.

I think his regression is misleading, as he's been dealing with a bum elbow most of the year.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010

Vrbata is hurt and really hasn't done well at all this year. Pass on him. Hamhuis alone would probably cost at least Zykov.

Of the remaining available forwards, Versteeg was a solid choice. Nice trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad