Confirmed Trade: Zibanejad for Brassard Part II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Uh. Krejci - Bergeron - Kelly - Peverley down the middle with Seguin hanging out in there also.

Ottawa can't match that.

Plus, they had a d-core with Boychuk, Seidenberg, Stuart and Kaberle who were all playing in their prime underneath Chara.

Ottawa can't match that.

I could see Anderson going on a run like Thomas.

Honestly, it doesn't matter.

We've seen the past few years, the playoffs are an extended game of rock-paper-scissors. It's all about matchups, and luck. Stay healthy, and have a system the opposition can't counter, and you're golden.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Name the last team to win without a legitimate #1 centre it doesn't happen often if at all

Ottawa has a budget restriction that is $5-10M below the cap in any given season. They will not tank for high picks.

They will not win the Cup within the current restrictions no matter who their centers are. They could however make the ECF's and that would essentially be their Cup, given the handicaps that they impose on themselves.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What I don't get is where the notion is coming from that Zib can be a good center in the NHL? He is out of place at center. Would have a much brighter future on the wing.

Last edited:

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
How about it's a deal that works for both sides. I really don't understand why a winner has to be crowned.

Exactly. As a Rangers fan, I like the deal, but it seems like a win for the Sens too. I can't believe how much people overvalue the 2nd round pick we received, which has really marginal value compared to the players involved (2nds get traded for rental role players every trade deadline).

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Honestly, it doesn't matter.

We've seen the past few years, the playoffs are an extended game of rock-paper-scissors. It's all about matchups, and luck. Stay healthy, and have a system the opposition can't counter, and you're golden.

Basically this. Heck, look at the d-core of the team that almost beat that very same Bruins team in the conference finals that year.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Ottawa has a budget restriction that is $5-10M below the cap in any given season. They will not tank for high picks.

They will not win the Cup within the current restrictions no matter who their centers are. They could however make the ECF's and that would essentially be their Cup, given the handicaps that they impose on themselves.

We were contenders in the post-Yashin, pre-Spezza (aka between having elite center's) era with a more precarious ownership situation in a non-cap league. The impact of Melnyk's financial situation is severely overhyped. You build a good enough core, pay them and fill the ranks with some smart depth signings and you can compete even with the large markets of the league.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We were contenders in the post-Yashin, pre-Spezza (aka between having elite center's) era with a more precarious ownership situation in a non-cap league. The impact of Melnyk's financial situation is severely overhyped. You build a good enough core, pay them and fill the ranks with some smart depth signings and you can compete even with the large markets of the league.

The Melnyk situation is almost comically overhyped. He's a cost conscious owner, but he's never once let a star player walk because of money with the exception of Alfie, which was a mess up from top to bottom.

Spezza's time here was done, it wasn't about money (we offered him a contract extension, no one can possibly understand why), Heatley was a fool and did us a favour, Chara was Muckler not knowing the salary cap and how it was gonna work. Recently - and this clearly can't be stated enough - Melnyk has not cheaped out once. Anderson, MacArthur, Turris, Karlsson, Ryan, Methot, he hasn't lost one player because of money.

Sometimes it's annoying for Sens fans, because there's an internal budget that leaves us 5-7 million below cap, but for the most part, we're quite lucky he insists on his GMs being smart with their money. We've dodged a ton of bullets, including Clarkson and really only have one questionable contract (Ryan).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Name the last team to win without a legitimate #1 centre it doesn't happen often if at all

Boston is the only team that comes to mind - and while I'm not a fan of Krejci as a #1, they had amazing center depth with 2 very good centers with a great supporting cast.

That said, I don't think you need a great #1C - as long as you have very good depth and a very good supporting cast. Not sure OTT has the right pieces to do that, but I think this is a move in the right direction.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A third pair defenseman is marginal for any team, and it's not as if Ottawa suddenly got Lundqvist or Price in the net. These changes are not going to transform a team from outside the playoffs to contention.

Also, Brassard is NOT a 1C. He dominates crap players more than most, but isn't great against the stars. That assignment almost always went to Stepan, while Brassard could take on easier opponents. Make him your 1C, and he'll struggle terribly.

I don't think anyone thinks this changes the team into a contender. But I think most look at this roster and see a playoff team. A lower seed for sure, but still a playoff team. Whether they can make any noise once they get there will depend on how things go and who they face. But them going on a run isn't inconceivable.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I get why the Sens did it, but I'm not sure it was the right move. Zibby probably could use a change of scenery, and Brassard is an upgrade, but I think that 2nd is probably in the 30's. Certainly not in the 50's.

Hope it works out.

It's a 2018 2nd. I think it'll be late 40s or early 50s. I highly doubt it would be early 40s or even in the 30s.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The Melnyk situation is almost comically overhyped. He's a cost conscious owner, but he's never once let a star player walk because of money with the exception of Alfie, which was a mess up from top to bottom.

Spezza's time here was done, it wasn't about money (we offered him a contract extension, no one can possibly understand why), Heatley was a fool and did us a favour, Chara was Muckler not knowing the salary cap and how it was gonna work. Recently - and this clearly can't be stated enough - Melnyk has not cheaped out once. Anderson, MacArthur, Turris, Karlsson, Ryan, Methot, he hasn't lost one player because of money.

Sometimes it's annoying for Sens fans, because there's an internal budget that leaves us 5-7 million below cap, but for the most part, we're quite lucky he insists on his GMs being smart with their money. We've dodged a ton of bullets, including Clarkson and really only have one questionable contract (Ryan).

Agreed. I distinctly remember a comment from him about how for a few years they spent to the cap and didn't get anywhere (or make the playoffs?). And he's come to realize that spending smarter is better then just spending money. Besides, if you look at the last two moves he's made (Phaneuf and Brassard), he's saved 4.5m this year in real dollars and has a better team for it, and will be paying 10.5m and 10m in salary for Dion and Brass the next 2 seasons. I know some people hate Dion, but in a supporting role, he's fine, and spending 10m on those two players is smart money (however you want to allocate it). The 12m cap hit sucks a little more, but as OTT isn't usually a cap team, I don't think that will be an issue.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
What I don't get is where the notion is coming from that Zib can be a good center in the NHL? He is out of place at center. Would have a much brighter future on the wing.

As a sens fan I agree with this completely

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I can't believe how much people overvalue the 2nd round pick we received, which has really marginal value compared to the players involved (2nds get traded for rental role players every trade deadline).

I agree and can't see how people are using this to say that it tips the scale in the Rangers favor.

It's a 2nd round pick in a 2018 lol. That's like almost 2 full years away before you even get to make the pick, never mind the time it's going to take to develop the actual prospect...

The Rangers and the Sens both got what they wanted. I feel like it's very comical to suggest that the Sens came out behind in this trade when they are actively trying to become a better team, and they did exactly that.

Just because they didnt become instant contenders with this move doesnt mean that moving up in the standings is a bad course of action. Hfboards would have you believe otherwise though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Boston is the only team that comes to mind - and while I'm not a fan of Krejci as a #1, they had amazing center depth with 2 very good centers with a great supporting cast.

That said, I don't think you need a great #1C - as long as you have very good depth and a very good supporting cast. Not sure OTT has the right pieces to do that, but I think this is a move in the right direction.

Depending on how you feel about Bergeron Boston is up for debate and even if you include Boston thats 1 team in nearly proving the original point that being it's damn near impossible to do withoug a stud down the middle

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I get why the Sens did it, but I'm not sure it was the right move. Zibby probably could use a change of scenery, and Brassard is an upgrade, but I think that 2nd is probably in the 30's. Certainly not in the 50's.

Hope it works out.

:laugh:

I highly doubt the Sens 2018 2nd will be in the 30's.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Anything can happen especially in the east where there are a lot of teams who are considered avg

I would never have thought the pens would win going into this season with their wingers goaltenders and defensemen but they did

There is so much parity in the league

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
:laugh:

I highly doubt the Sens 2018 2nd will be in the 30's.

It may appear to the outside non-Sens (pun semi intended) fan that the Sens haven't made much of an upgrade (you know new GM, coaching staff, Top-4 (Phaneuf), Top-6 (Brassard))..but this team is definitely trending upwards, especially since it's core is one of the youngest in the league and keeps getting better each year.

This team is playoff bound as early as this coming season.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Idk who won this deal. At first i thought the rangers won it but the more i think about it the more im not sure. The rangers are in win mode now but with ths trade i dont think there as good as they were before the trade. I think in the long run it benefits them. Getting second round pick was a slick move. All i can say is my ranger fan friends arent too happy which i think shows how valuable brassard was to them.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I don't think the Rangers are in win-now mode anymore.

I'd say they're in 'quick re-tool and try making the playoffs while doing so' mode, kinda like the Sens were from 2011 to 2015.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Boston had it. Krejci played like a #1 that playoff and Bergeron did aswell. Im not a fan of Bos at all but that team was deep as hell and the right players stepped up when they needed to.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
It may appear to the outside non-Sens (pun semi intended) fan that the Sens haven't made much of an upgrade (you know new GM, coaching staff, Top-4 (Phaneuf), Top-6 (Brassard))..but this team is definitely trending upwards, especially since it's core is one of the youngest in the league and keeps getting better each year.

This team is playoff bound as early as this coming season.

Florida loaded up after taking the division.
Tampa has kept Stammer and everyone else to make another run at the division. While retooling with youth, Boston just added Backes who might have been the best UFA to hit the market this year.
Price will surely play and single-handedly win more games this year, regardless of anything else Montreal has done.
Buffalo and TML are infusing with high end youth, ranked 3rd and 4th in prospects by HockeysFuture. Plus neither team cares about how much they're spending on anything else to be better.
Ottawa traded Brassard for Zibanejad to get slightly better.

Sorry but with HFs ranked 21st best prospect pool, no major imports via UFA, and missing the playoffs 2 of the past 3 years. It's going to take more than adding their 3rd coach in 4 years to make this team a playoff contender and likely won't happen quickly at all.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Tampa has kept Stammer and everyone else to make another run at the division. While retooling with youth, Boston just added Backes who might have been the best UFA to hit the market this year.
Price will surely play and single-handedly win more games this year, regardless of anything else Montreal has done.
Buffalo and TML are infusing with high end youth, ranked 3rd and 4th in prospects by HockeysFuture. Plus neither team cares about how much they're spending on anything else to be better.

Sorry but with HFs ranked 21st best prospect pool, no major imports via UFA, and missing the playoffs 2 of the past 3 years. It's going to take more than adding their 3rd coach in 4 years to make this team a playoff contender and likely won't happen quickly at all.
You dont think adding a guy like Macarther who played 4 games last season helps ??Guy was a a 55 to 60 point player for us ,add in a healthy Turris and you are underrating us ,big time.Fld is going to be Colorado version number 2

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick

+Healthy Turris
+Healthy MacArthur
+Full season of Phaneuf
- Cowen
- Weircoch
- Cameron

Lightyears more impactful than addig a overrated, overpaid FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad