Confirmed Trade: Zibanejad for Brassard Part II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Yeah, but from a business standpoint, the Rangers have a pretty fair case for compensation, whether or not they care about the money is irrelevant. And they gave up the better player, whether or not he's older is again, irrelevant, they'd want compensation.

We did give up the better player but not by alot. Ott fans talking down on Zib and thinking Brass is alot better have no clue. Brass is an offence first center who plays like a winger in his own sone. Struggles defensivly which was very clear when Nash got injuried. He isnt horrible defensivly but not good either. He isnt that much better than Zib and Zib is 6 years younger. Its not irrelevant that he is older? So if NYR traded Brass for Jagr it would be irrelevant that Brass has 7 years left of his career and Jagr might retire after this season? Mcdavid for Benn, irrelevant that Benn has 6 years left in his prime but Mcdavid has 15? Its extremely relevant that he is younger because NYR can easily get 10+ years out of him before he is out of his prime. Brass 4 years if they start to slow down at 33.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
NYR played with Girardi and Staal playing tons of minutes all year, let that sink in for a moment. Girardi might be the worst defensemen in the NHL! And he has a cap hit of 5,5 mill a year... We had Brass-Hayes down the middle with Stepan out and we sucked. Brass was useless defensivly without Nash and our team was a mess during that time. Nash played thru injuries and scored 36 in 60, Turris 30 in 57. . Pretty identical situation except Nash scored 42 goals the season before. Turris has never scored more than 26. What im trying to say is that everyone has injuries and its a dumb excuse. As much as Ott lost an important player, so did NYR and so did alot of other teams. Our captain played 73 games. Our second best D in Klein played 69, Nash 60, Stepan 72 etc. It happens every season to tons of teams.
When Ott made the playoff the year before Hammond came out of nothing and played like the best goalie in the league. Thats alot more luck than you beeing "unlucky" with a couple injuries.... I like Ott and watch them alot because im a huge Karlsson fan but using injuries as an excuse is just dumb. I would love to see Karlsson and Brass go deep in the playoffs but stop with the injury excuses. Its just dumb because Ottawa`s situation this season wasnt anything worse than anyone elses.

He's not even remotely close to being the worst defensemen in the NHL. He is used in situations he shouldn't be used in, and he's over paid. A ****** contract for a guy that shouldn't be on any first pairing unit.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He's not even remotely close to being the worst defensemen in the NHL. He is used in situations he shouldn't be used in, and he's over paid. A ****** contract for a guy that shouldn't be on any first pairing unit.

Plz tell me what he is actually good at? Horrible down low, useless skater, cant make a pass to save his life, no offense, absolutely horrible possesion numbers. He has never been very good, he just played in a system(Torts) where defensemen just stood infront of the net hoping they could Block the shot and that the forwards scored on the rush. He is not close to beeing a second pair guy, he is a #6 at best. I wouldnt want him on the team for min salary. He brings absolutely nothing to the team. Mcdonagh 47% possesion this season. Girardi 42% possesion this season. Mcdonagh 55% possesion without Girardi. Girardi 38% possesion without Mcdonagh. Girardi is the biggest anchor in the league. I like him off the ice, seems like a great guy but he is not a good hockey player at all.
Mcdonagh-Klein
Staal-Mcilrath
Skjei-Holden
Girardi isnt better than any of them....

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not enough said about how strong Zibanejad was to close out this season.

If he shows up in shape and motivated the Rangers are going to be very happy with the trade.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Plz tell me what he is actually good at? Horrible down low, useless skater, cant make a pass to save his life, no offense, absolutely horrible possesion numbers. He has never been very good, he just played in a system(Torts) where defensemen just stood infront of the net hoping they could Block the shot and that the forwards scored on the rush. He is not close to beeing a second pair guy, he is a #6 at best. I wouldnt want him on the team for min salary. He brings absolutely nothing to the team. Mcdonagh 47% possesion this season. Girardi 42% possesion this season. Mcdonagh 55% possesion without Girardi. Girardi 38% possesion without Mcdonagh. I like him off the ice, seems like a great guy but he is not a good hockey player at all.
Mcdonagh-Klein
Staal-Mcilrath
Skjei-Holden

So he is the worst defenseman on our team. Doesn't mean he is the worst in the NHL (although his play least season at times probably put him in contention). He will bounce back this year as he won't be playing top pairing minutes with a cracked knee cap but not even close to enough to justify his contract.

Last edited:

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Not enough said about how strong Zibanejad was to close out this season.

If he shows up in shape and motivated the Rangers are going to be very happy with the trade.
Yeah, and getting him away from Ryan will do him WONDERS. Seriously, what an anchor Bobby is!

MarcusKane*

Feb 4, 2013
Yep their first line center and their top line LW ,wonder how that works for those teams ??My guess would be not very well :shakehead

good teams wouldn't have Clarke Macarthurr on their first line to begin with. I mean i'd take him on my second line and i like him as a player, but lets be real if your team is counting on clarke macarthur you have other problems.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
So he is the worst defenseman on our team. Doesn't mean he is the worst in the NHL (although his play least season probably put him in contention). He will bounce back this year as he won't be playing top pairing minutes with a cracked knee cap but not even close to enough to justify his contract.

I mean anyone Who has watched NYR consistently the last 4 years will know how much he has declined, and he has declined a little every year. Blaming it on injuries is wrong imo. He already showed tons of sign that he was declining the season we lost the final. He turned the puck over so we lost game 4 or something in OT. Already tons of talk about his bad possesion numbers, his decline etc but he has been hidden in a great group of players that managed to hide his weaknesses unless you really looked for it and broke the games down play for play. He should thank Hank and Mcdonagh for that crazy contract he got....

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
good teams wouldn't have Clarke Macarthurr on their first line to begin with. I mean i'd take him on my second line and i like him as a player, but lets be real if your team is counting on clarke macarthur you have other problems.

Our top line LW is Hoffman.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I mean anyone Who has watched NYR consistently the last 4 years will know how much he has declined, and he has declined a little every year. Blaming it on injuries is wrong imo. He already showed tons of sign that he was declining the season we lost the final. He turned the puck over so we lost game 4 or something in OT. Already tons of talk about his bad possesion numbers, his decline etc but he has been hidden in a great group of players that managed to hide his weaknesses unless you really looked for it and broke the games down play for play. He should thank Hank and Mcdonagh for that crazy contract he got....

This is all OT, but I love the concept of saying you shouldn't blame injuries and then giving an example of how badly he played when he had an injury (2014 Final).

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Yeah, and getting him away from Ryan will do him WONDERS. Seriously, what an anchor Bobby is!

It's very much the other way around. They are both streaky as hell, but Bobby has at least shown great chemistry with other players on the team.

Mika has never gelled with anyone on Ottawa. Hopefully he finds someone on the Rangers that he can develop some chemistry with.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Nash, Stepan, Mcdonagh, Klein etc got injured for NYR
Malkin, letang, bonino etc for Pens
Subban, Price, Gallagher etc for Habs

You are bringing up two teams with very few injuries when tons of other teams had injuries to important players. And if you had a little more injuries than other teams on average? So what? Thats part of it and its not like it only happens to you. Malkin missing 30 games is a bigger loss than a reg top 6 missing 60 games because of how good Malkin is. You can twist it in all kinds of directions. You arent the only ones with injuries, its dumb to complain about it.

A quick count of NYR's T6F / T4D adds up to a mere 65 games missed. That's not 144 plus and extra 30 games that Turris played like crap in. That's not even close to comparable, which is probably why you're being so non-chalant about injuries... your favorite team's stars stayed healthier than average. Mine faced over twice as many MGL as ever should have been expected.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Plz tell me what he is actually good at? Horrible down low, useless skater, cant make a pass to save his life, no offense, absolutely horrible possesion numbers. He has never been very good, he just played in a system(Torts) where defensemen just stood infront of the net hoping they could Block the shot and that the forwards scored on the rush. He is not close to beeing a second pair guy, he is a #6 at best. I wouldnt want him on the team for min salary. He brings absolutely nothing to the team. Mcdonagh 47% possesion this season. Girardi 42% possesion this season. Mcdonagh 55% possesion without Girardi. Girardi 38% possesion without Mcdonagh. Girardi is the biggest anchor in the league. I like him off the ice, seems like a great guy but he is not a good hockey player at all.
Mcdonagh-Klein
Staal-Mcilrath
Skjei-Holden

Girardi was one of the worst D in the league last season, but I don't think he is the worst defenseman in the league. If AV uses him on the 3rd pair and he has a partner who can skate, I think he can at least be serviceable.

And the bolded reminded me of a nice pass he made that applies to this thread:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
ya hoffman is technically top line but macarthur still plays good amount.

Clarke MacArthur 2014-2015 17:00
Mike Hoffman 2014-2015 14:33

Those are the stats from when Hoffman was a rookie...

He played more last year, and he'll play even more this year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We did give up the better player but not by alot. Ott fans talking down on Zib and thinking Brass is alot better have no clue.

I agree. Its a fair trade for both teams for many reasons. It helps Ottawa and it helps NYR. Zib is a good young player. One of the things many young players struggle with is becoming more consistent. I see no reason why Zib will not continue to progress and his production isn't far off right now.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
NYR played with Girardi and Staal playing tons of minutes all year, let that sink in for a moment. Girardi might be the worst defensemen in the NHL! And he has a cap hit of 5,5 mill a year... We had Brass-Hayes down the middle with Stepan out and we sucked. Brass was useless defensivly without Nash and our team was a mess during that time. Nash played thru injuries and scored 36 in 60, Turris 30 in 57. . Pretty identical situation except Nash scored 42 goals the season before. Turris has never scored more than 26. What im trying to say is that everyone has injuries and its a dumb excuse. As much as Ott lost an important player, so did NYR and so did alot of other teams. Our captain played 73 games. Our second best D in Klein played 69, Nash 60, Stepan 72 etc. It happens every season to tons of teams.
When Ott made the playoff the year before Hammond came out of nothing and played like the best goalie in the league. Thats alot more luck than you beeing "unlucky" with a couple injuries.... I like Ott and watch them alot because im a huge Karlsson fan but using injuries as an excuse is just dumb. I would love to see Karlsson and Brass go deep in the playoffs but stop with the injury excuses. Its just dumb because Ottawa`s situation this season wasnt anything worse than anyone elses.

73 games? Dear god how did the team survive for 9 entire games? That's just worshipful resilience displayed by the Rangers for nearly 1/9th of the season. Seriously. Ottawa lost 2/3rds of its top line, including its only first line center for all but 30 games (Turris played injured, but that just made things worse). It does not compare to losing a key player for a few games here and there.

But I'm late to this conversation, and don't know what started it. It's obvious to me that the Rangers suffered from something this season, and that they were a better team to start off with.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
We did give up the better player but not by alot. Ott fans talking down on Zib and thinking Brass is alot better have no clue. Brass is an offence first center who plays like a winger in his own sone. Struggles defensivly which was very clear when Nash got injuried. He isnt horrible defensivly but not good either. He isnt that much better than Zib and Zib is 6 years younger. Its not irrelevant that he is older? So if NYR traded Brass for Jagr it would be irrelevant that Brass has 7 years left of his career and Jagr might retire after this season? Mcdavid for Benn, irrelevant that Benn has 6 years left in his prime but Mcdavid has 15? Its extremely relevant that he is younger because NYR can easily get 10+ years out of him before he is out of his prime. Brass 4 years if they start to slow down at 33.

Not all players are created stylistically equal. They don't have the same handedness either.

Ottawa fans can correct me if I'm wrong since they see way more Sens games then I do, but it looks like good chemistry has been established with the Hoffman-Turris-Stone line.

It's Bobby Ryan that has to get going. He's gone from a perennial 30-35 goal-scorer in Anaheim to a perennial 18-23 goal-scorer since arriving in Ottawa. Zibanejad and Ryan were not a good fit stylistically. The worst thing the Sens could've done is keep going back to a bad fit expecting a different outcome.

Brassard has a good track-record playing with a goal-scorer. Rick Nash is one season removed from 42 goals, and that's what the Sens are hoping to achieve with this trade vis-a-vis Ryan:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=479&withagainst=true&season=2014-16&sit=5v5

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Not all players are created stylistically equal. They don't have the same handedness either.

Ottawa fans can correct me if I'm wrong since they see way more Sens games then I do, but it looks like good chemistry has been established with the Hoffman-Turris-Stone line.

It's Bobby Ryan that has to get going. He's gone from a perennial 30-35 goal-scorer in Anaheim to a perennial 18-23 goal-scorer since arriving in Ottawa. Zibanejad and Ryan were not a good fit stylistically. The worst thing the Sens could've done is keep going back to a bad fit expecting a different outcome.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=479&withagainst=true&season=2014-16&sit=5v5

You're 100% right.

Ryan DOES need to get going. He was the anchor of that line and brought Zibanajad down.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You're 100% right.

Ryan DOES need to get going. He was the anchor of that line and brought Zibanajad down.

Whatever you need to tell yourself....

Ryan found excellent chemistry with Turris, and was only split up from him to try to spread out the offence once Spezza left.

Zibby has never found chemistry with anyone on the the Sens. Not even Stone or Hoffman.

Was it everyone else that was weighing down Mika?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad