Confirmed Trade: Zibanejad for Brassard Part II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1993 Canadiens.
1995 Devils.
2011 Bruins.

Good examples although captain Kirk Muller could be viewed as a legit #1C 94pts (37g 57a)
Unbelievably he was the 13th highest scoring Center and 28th overall ---how things have changed.
2011 Bruins are a very good example.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I like this trade for Ottawa. I think they gave up too high of a pick, but a 3rd probably doesn't get the deal done. So they gave in and gave up a good pick. If it's in the later 50's, who cares? Really like Brassard, gives Ottawa a great middle 6 center with some upside still. Zib's could become better than Brassard, but right now, the Sens got the better player. It may flip in a few years, but this is good for the Rangers to get younger and the Sens get a great player.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Good examples although captain Kirk Muller could be viewed as a legit #1C 94pts (37g 57a)
Unbelievably he was the 13th highest scoring Center and 28th overall ---how things have changed.
2011 Bruins are a very good example.

Yeah. 94 points is awesome and all that. Still. We're essentially talking about Joe Pavelski, who... while he's awesome... isn't a franchise center.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
sequin had 22 pts

Bergeron and Krejci ... are proof that its not just about the points

Bergeron 57
Krejci 62

But its not just about 2 guys or 1 guy either.

You know, it's interesting with those players in regards to 2011. Neither have been consistently in the 70 point range in the regular season. Both are 62 per 82 for their careers. In the 2011 playoffs, Bergeron had 20 in 23 and Krejci had 23 in 25.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Yeah, no. Seguin is a franchise C, but wasn't performing like one in 2011. Bergeron and Krejci are great in their own rights, but not franchise centers. I'll admit this is debatable, since a lot of people consider Bergeron to be one. I don't.

Ofc Seguin wasnt performing like one in 2011. He was 19!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ok that's almost 40 years ago. You just proved my point that being you don't win without a guy down the middle that you know is the guy.

Ottawa is better today than they were before the deal but they still lack that true #1 stud at centre.

Boston. No superstar center, 2 high quality centers. KInda like how Ottawa is shaking up.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
But can they get a historic playoff performance from Anderson?

It's possible. Anderson saves his best for the playoffs. If you aren't familiar with his past playoff performances you should look into it.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm familiar with him being garbage after the first round.

So the switch just goes off in the second round?

Unfortunately he has only made it to the second round once, and he shouldn't be blamed for that. In that series Ottawa was completely outclassed by the penguins, Anderson didn't stand a chance.

It's too bad Anderson hasn't had the chance to play for a contender, he is one hell of a goalie and hasn't received half the recognition he deserves.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Superstar defenseman, deep forward core, and a streaky goalie that got hot at the right time.

That could as easily be Ottawa as it was Boston.

Uh. Krejci - Bergeron - Kelly - Peverley down the middle with Seguin hanging out in there also.

Ottawa can't match that.

Plus, they had a d-core with Boychuk, Seidenberg, Stuart and Kaberle who were all playing in their prime underneath Chara.

Ottawa can't match that.

I could see Anderson going on a run like Thomas.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Superstar defenseman, deep forward core, and a streaky goalie that got hot at the right time.

That could as easily be Ottawa as it was Boston.

Thomas was one of if not the best goalie in the NHL for 5 years in which he won 2 Vezina's. The only thing that Ottawa's current roster can match on that Boston team is their #1D.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ottawa is closer to being a contender then most think..
An experienced bottom pair D (Quincey?) and some solid goaltending from Andy and its not unrealistic to think they could win a few rounds.

Hoffman-Brassard-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Paul/Dzingel-Kelly-Neil
Pyatt

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Quincey-Wideman
Boroweicki

Anderson
Hammond

Thats a pretty under rated roster right there. Especially with the east wide open.

A third pair defenseman is marginal for any team, and it's not as if Ottawa suddenly got Lundqvist or Price in the net. These changes are not going to transform a team from outside the playoffs to contention.

Also, Brassard is NOT a 1C. He dominates crap players more than most, but isn't great against the stars. That assignment almost always went to Stepan, while Brassard could take on easier opponents. Make him your 1C, and he'll struggle terribly.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Solid trade for both teams. Very happy that the Rangers just got much weaker down the middle, although this trade is still positive for them because they got few good young pieces, and some cap savings. As a rival kind of surprised that they traded Brassard instead of Stepan. Always been more impressed by Brassard, and i would have thought Stepan would have gotten a better return, as he seems slightly overrated by some.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I like this trade for Ottawa. I think they gave up too high of a pick, but a 3rd probably doesn't get the deal done. So they gave in and gave up a good pick. If it's in the later 50's, who cares? Really like Brassard, gives Ottawa a great middle 6 center with some upside still. Zib's could become better than Brassard, but right now, the Sens got the better player. It may flip in a few years, but this is good for the Rangers to get younger and the Sens get a great player.

I get why the Sens did it, but I'm not sure it was the right move. Zibby probably could use a change of scenery, and Brassard is an upgrade, but I think that 2nd is probably in the 30's. Certainly not in the 50's.

Hope it works out.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
... I think that 2nd is probably in the 30's. Certainly not in the 50's.

If our 2nd rounder in 2 years is still in the 30's, that means we will have somehow got WORSE over the next 2 years. I mean, this season sucked, and our 2nd rounder was in the 40's.

I can't possibly see how that happens, barring injury or other catastrophe. You have to be an extreme pessimist about the Sens going forward to expect that. Even if we're an borderline average team by then, like 4th-5th-6th in the East, then that's in the high 40's or low 50's.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Sens have a budget so they made a choice... they could afford either or the following options:

3 years of Brassard (who is a local and may stick around)
+
Ceci locked up long term
+
Hoffman locked up long term

Versus

Hoffman for 1 year
+
Zibanejad locked up Long term
+
Ceci on a bridge deal

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
A third pair defenseman is marginal for any team, and it's not as if Ottawa suddenly got Lundqvist or Price in the net. These changes are not going to transform a team from outside the playoffs to contention.

Also, Brassard is NOT a 1C. He dominates crap players more than most, but isn't great against the stars. That assignment almost always went to Stepan, while Brassard could take on easier opponents. Make him your 1C, and he'll struggle terribly.

The other significant additions to the roster from this season are...

- Turris (injured in December)
- MacArthur (missed the whole season)
- Phaneuf (acquired late season)

the team saw around 50 healthy games from these three players combined last year. You add those three guys to any team and it makes a measurable difference.

Brassard is a good fit for 2C on Ottawa. A healthy Turris is the clear 1C.

spg2000

Mar 2, 2013
Uh. Krejci - Bergeron - Kelly - Peverley down the middle with Seguin hanging out in there also.

Ottawa can't match that.

Plus, they had a d-core with Boychuk, Seidenberg, Stuart and Kaberle who were all playing in their prime underneath Chara.

Ottawa can't match that.

I could see Anderson going on a run like Thomas.

I'm not arguing with your overall point, but just to clarify that Stuart was shipped out in the Peverley trade, so he wasn't on the team for the Cup run. Bruins traded Wheeler AND Stuart for Peverley and it leads directly to a Stanley Cup - what a world.

Kaberle definitely wasn't who the Bruins thought they were trading for, on that run but he was a decent depth player for them and it let them sit guys like Shane Hnidy who didn't really belong on the ice at that point.

Also I'm surprised that there are still arguments going on about Bergeron being a franchise center. He might not put up as many raw points as some other centers, but his overall game is extremely strong. If you look at his complete game, I'm happy putting his line out there against any other center in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad