Confirmed Trade: Zibanejad for Brassard Part II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Brassard + 2nd ;)

Anyways I think Rangers win the trade lol still.

Atleast Ottawa gets dem salary savings

Decent possibility. The thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that Ottawa is far from a contender, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade for an older player, even if he's better defensively at the moment. Unless they honestly think Zibanejad has peaked.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I think this is a good trade for both teams. They accomplished what they needed to.

Ottawa gets the better more established player that helps them get back to the playoffs. I have them as the 3rd best team in the ATL right now and Brass is money in the playoffs. Ottawa got themselves a hell of a player. Don't want to waste Karlsson's prime years. And they still have a bunch of young players and borderline top prospects to make up for Zibber.

For the Rangers this was a no-brainier. We were and still should be desperate for young players. We just got our best young player, if not our most valuable asset under the age of 25. Which is key considering we probably have the worst farm in the entire league.

With or without Brassard we are likely not contenders entering 2016-17. At least with this trade it shows there is a plan, a direction and an obvious desire to get younger. It just sucks that one of few players who wasn't a part of a rather large problem had to be the one to go.

That 2014 team has been totally dismantled. And Sather chose to keep the two worst players in Staal and Girardi.

But while we are it we might as well trade Zuccarello and Klein as well. They're not part of the problem either, but the longer we wait to trade them, the older they get. The more they depreciate. No point in waiting 2-3 seasons until we totally bottom out.

On paper I still think we're the best team in the East entering this season besides the obvious elite teams (Pit, Wash, TB and FLA). But we are not good enough to win the Cup. And then within 3 seasons we could very well be the worst team in the Metro, if not the East. Taking into consideration how most teams should/could surpass us, but things don't always go according to plan.

So the more young players the better.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Decent possibility. The thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that Ottawa is far from a contender, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade for an older player, even if he's better defensively at the moment. Unless they honestly think Zibanejad has peaked.

Ottawa strangely IS in a compete now phase. The core of the team is Karlsson, who is only under contract for three more years. If ownership cheaps out and wastes his prime years, he could walk for nothing. Pushing the team to compete quickly shows a commitment to Karlsson, and maybe helps keep him around for another contract.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think the Sens win right now. Rangers end up trading Zibby mid-season 2017-2018. And the second is used in a trade package. Because that's what we would do.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Ottawa is closer to being a contender then most think..
An experienced bottom pair D (Quincey?) and some solid goaltending from Andy and its not unrealistic to think they could win a few rounds.

Hoffman-Brassard-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Paul/Dzingel-Kelly-Neil
Pyatt

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Quincey-Wideman
Boroweicki

Anderson
Hammond

Thats a pretty under rated roster right there. Especially with the east wide open.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Team on the decline? We had one bad year. Our core is young. Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Buchnevich, McDonagh... We have I think 3 guys over 30. Yes. We are SOOO old and declining

I just want to respectively address this.

It's not that you're old, it's that two of your top players (Nash and Lundqvist) are getting old and are suffering from a decline, and those guys are hard to replace. Then you have the fact that guys like Girardi and Staal have declined as well.

I'm not saying you're doomed, I actually really like this trade for you guys. But a re-tool is necessary to avoid becoming the Canucks. It seems your management is fully aware though, so you should be good. And like you said, you have lots of good young players and you just added one too.

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
An experienced bottom pair D (Quincey?) and some solid goaltending from Andy and its not unrealistic to think they could win a few rounds.

Hoffman-Brassard-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Paul/Dzingel-Kelly-Neil
Pyatt

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Quincey-Wideman
Boroweicki

Anderson
Hammond

Thats a pretty under rated roster right there. Especially with the east wide open.

I don't know... I'm not a Sens expert, but for me, those offensive lines are not "contender" material. Turris had a very disapointing season last year, same goes with Ryan (even if it was not as bad). I really like Brassard and Stone and Hoffman, but the real firepower comes from Karlsson anyway.

Not a bad team, but even if I wouldn't put any money on it, I wouldn't be suprise if they even miss the playoff.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
This is a trade of two organizations that have a very different evaluations of Zibanejad. I think you have to tend to trust Ottawa's evaluation of him to be honest.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I don't know... I'm not a Sens expert, but for me, those offensive lines are not "contender" material. Turris had a very disapointing season last year, same goes with Ryan (even if it was not as bad). I really like Brassard and Stone and Hoffman, but the real firepower comes from Karlsson anyway.

Not a bad team, but even if I wouldn't put any money on it, I wouldn't be suprise if they even miss the playoff.

Turris got off to a great start, and then got hurt in early December and tried to play through it. When that proved to be a horrible idea, they shut him down.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Hoffman-Brassard-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Paul/Dzingel-Kelly-Neil
Pyatt

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Quincey-Wideman
Boroweicki

Anderson
Hammond

Fair point, it definitely does look like a playoff team. I just don't think it's up there with the big boys yet (although I suppose trading for Brassard is a step in that direction). Beefier than I remember it being, though, for sure.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Dont like this move for the sens. Brassard is obviously a great player and easily a top 6 centre but the team isn't ready to compete for a cup. Moves like this are only going to delay the process of competing for a cup. Reminds me a lot of the Canucks situation where management has some solid pieces but is unwilling to rebuild the team properly. Don't get me wrong, Brassard is a good player but this is one of those teams that will most likely be a consistent 7-8 seed. Not build well enough for a deep run, but not poor enough to end up at the bottom. Hopefully management gets more depth guys and fills the rest of their holes otherwise this is a pointless trade.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
MacArthur-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Puempel/Dzingel-Kelly-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Claesson/Boro-Wideman

Anderson/Hammond

At center we got two high end #2's, a high end #3 thats a defensive beast that just put up 2nd line numbers, and faceoff/PK specalist on the 4th line.

On wing we have four players that can score 50+ points and 20+ goals. Hoffman can score 30 goals. Stone could reach 70 points.

Offense has six players that can score 50+. Four or five that can reach 60 or slightly more.

The 3rd line has a strong combo of Smith-Pageau. They bring defense, grinding, faceoffs, and goal scoring. Add Lazar or Dzingel to that combo for more speed. If Lazar breakouts, thats a seriously solid 3rd line.

4th line meh.

The defense has a great top 4 but weaker bottom pairing. Karlsson 28mins. Phaneuf 23mins. Methot 22mins. Ceci 20mins. Wideman 12mins. Boro/Claesson 12-15mins.

Ceci has been underrated on HF lately. He's a legit #4 dman that can PK and brings a good even strength offensive game.

PK being:

Methot-Phaneuf
Boro/Claesson-Ceci

Anderson always going back and forth each season being amazing or average. Last season he was average. Expect a great season from Anderson. Hammond was also pretty good in the 2nd half of last season.

Last season the biggest biggest fault was special teams. The worst combined PK and PP. Between Kelly, Phaneuf, a healthy Turris+MacArthur and a new coaching staff, the PK should be greatly improved. The PP finally has a left handed center, a good one too. Again, the new coaches should know how to use players properly on the PP. Hoffman will actually be used right.

Also, Karlsson.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Indeed you are no sens expert. Turris was having a great season, had 22 points in first 25 games then suffered a high ankle sprain which he played through. Then managed 8 points in his next 17 but failed to register a single point in his finals 15 before being shut down for the season. So after the injury he had a total of 8 points in 32 games that's why his production took such a massive hit.

Group Chat Legend*

I just want to respectively address this.

It's not that you're old, it's that two of your top players (Nash and Lundqvist) are getting old and are suffering from a decline, and those guys are hard to replace. Then you have the fact that guys like Girardi and Staal have declined as well.

I'm not saying you're doomed, I actually really like this trade for you guys. But a re-tool is necessary to avoid becoming the Canucks. It seems your management is fully aware though, so you should be good. And like you said, you have lots of good young players and you just added one too.

wrote it all for me, exactly what I was gonna say.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa strangely IS in a compete now phase. The core of the team is Karlsson, who is only under contract for three more years. If ownership cheaps out and wastes his prime years, he could walk for nothing. Pushing the team to compete quickly shows a commitment to Karlsson, and maybe helps keep him around for another contract.

Wrong. The core consists of Stone, Turris, Brassard, Hoffman (maybe), Pageau, Phaneuf, Methot, Ceci, Anderson and Karlsson. Those are the building blocks, the rest are depth players. Karlsson is the franchise player, which is perhaps what you meant?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Wrong. The core consists of Stone, Turris, Brassard, Hoffman (maybe), Pageau, Phaneuf, Methot, Ceci, Anderson and Karlsson. Those are the building blocks, the rest are depth players. Karlsson is the franchise player, which is perhaps what you meant?

Ottawa has good players, but without Karlsson team would not even think about competing.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Dont like this move for the sens. Brassard is obviously a great player and easily a top 6 centre but the team isn't ready to compete for a cup. Moves like this are only going to delay the process of competing for a cup. Reminds me a lot of the Canucks situation where management has some solid pieces but is unwilling to rebuild the team properly. Don't get me wrong, Brassard is a good player but this is one of those teams that will most likely be a consistent 7-8 seed. Not build well enough for a deep run, but not poor enough to end up at the bottom. Hopefully management gets more depth guys and fills the rest of their holes otherwise this is a pointless trade.

I don't think we can handle more than one more depth forward and one more depth D-man - if that. And those moves can come mid-season. They'll try Lazar on the third line RW with 20 goal guy Smith and 19 goal guy Pageau and if he doesn't cut it, I bet they'll do something. Not sure if guys like Nick Paul or Ryan Dzingel can play the right side...wouldn't want to bank on it.

I'd be surprised if they didn't also add a veteran D-man to go with Boro and Wideman so they can alternate playing those two. I wanted Polak badly...but we all know where he settled on.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa has good players, but without Karlsson team would not even think about competing.

....uh, yeah, that goes for most of the franchise players out there.

EDIT: he's my favourite player and I'm not sure I agree...I think the Sens would be in trouble if Karlsson magically disappeared on opening night and nothing was gotten for him, but if we traded him - hypothetically, of course, and the return was substantial, this team would immediately have ridiculous depth. Would it be enough to offset the loss of the best offensive D-man of the generation? Probably not, but it wouldn't cripple us - depending on the trade, obviously. But to pretend that Karlsson being 'gone' and not replaced is a fool's game, because...he's not.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is a strange move for Ottawa, this is a move a contender makes but Ottawa is not a contender nor are they all that close Ottawa needs a #1 centre not another #2 also they took on a ton of cap zibby makes 2.6 million Bassard makes. Million pet for 3 more years.

I won't say they aren't better they are but that doesn't mean this is the right move.

I think this id the wrong guy to bring in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad