Confirmed Trade: Zibanejad for Brassard Part II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
You're 100% right.

Ryan DOES need to get going. He was the anchor of that line and brought Zibanajad down.

They both had streaks where they were unstoppable and both had long streaks of being invisible. There's no one achor there, which you would know if you watched all the time.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
We did give up the better player but not by alot. Ott fans talking down on Zib and thinking Brass is alot better have no clue. Brass is an offence first center who plays like a winger in his own sone. Struggles defensivly which was very clear when Nash got injuried. He isnt horrible defensivly but not good either. He isnt that much better than Zib and Zib is 6 years younger. Its not irrelevant that he is older? So if NYR traded Brass for Jagr it would be irrelevant that Brass has 7 years left of his career and Jagr might retire after this season? Mcdavid for Benn, irrelevant that Benn has 6 years left in his prime but Mcdavid has 15? Its extremely relevant that he is younger because NYR can easily get 10+ years out of him before he is out of his prime. Brass 4 years if they start to slow down at 33.

It's as much about brassard being better at this moment and a better fit for ottawa, as it is about how frustrating zibanejad has been for us. I was never a huge fan of his, but I was very frustrated watching him suck fir long stretches, then be amazing, then suck.

Culture change needed and he was a good place to start.

Add in the contracts, the risk that zibanejad never puts it all together to that and you can see why the Rangers wanted and got a 2nd.

Basically ottawa paid the 2nd for an upgrade today and a culture change going forward.

As for cutting down zibanejad, I think he'll be good if he focuses and this trade will help, so we'll see.

KreiderHouseRules*

It's as much about brassard being better at this moment and a better fit for ottawa, as it is about how frustrating zibanejad has been for us. I was never a huge fan of his, but I was very frustrated watching him suck fir long stretches, then be amazing, then suck.

Culture change needed and he was a good place to start.

Add in the contracts, the risk that zibanejad never puts it all together to that and you can see why the Rangers wanted and got a 2nd.

Basically ottawa paid the 2nd for an upgrade today and a culture change going forward.

As for cutting down zibanejad, I think he'll be good if he focuses and this trade will help, so we'll see.

This is spot on.

I can tell you as a NYR fan, you're getting an incredible player. He's going to make magic with Bobby Ryan. And he elevates his game in the playoffs and has some of the best celebrations too. Great team guy. Great player. Loves the slapper on the partial breakaway. Short-side roof job. You will not be disappointed.

And as a NYR fan, I'm very excited for Zibanejad because he's still young enough to reach his full potential or close to it, and even if he stays a 45-50 point player, we still got a lot younger and cheaper for similar production.

I'm very excited to see Zibanejad used in the Ovechkin/Stamkos spot on the PP. Can any OTT fans tell me if he was used there enough? And anything else about him? Thanks and good luck! You have a very good young team and Karlsson is a Hall of Famer already. Absurd.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This is spot on.

I can tell you as a NYR fan, you're getting an incredible player. He's going to make magic with Bobby Ryan. And he elevates his game in the playoffs and has some of the best celebrations too. Great team guy. Great player. Loves the slapper on the partial breakaway. Short-side roof job. You will not be disappointed.

And as a NYR fan, I'm very excited for Zibanejad because he's still young enough to reach his full potential or close to it, and even if he stays a 45-50 point player, we still got a lot younger and cheaper for similar production.

I'm very excited to see Zibanejad used in the Ovechkin/Stamkos spot on the PP. Can any OTT fans tell me if he was used there enough? And anything else about him? Thanks and good luck! You have a very good young team and Karlsson is a Hall of Famer already. Absurd.

:cheers:

Agree with both you and Spezdispenser.

On the topic of Zibby on the power play.. yes he has a wonderful one timer, and has been used in that spot, but his accuracy is really terrible with it.

I remember in one of his first preseason games against Boston him scoring one of the most beautiful one timer goals Ive seen in recent memory, and obviously thought it was a sign of things to come.

But truthfully we've seen what feels like maybe a handful of those at best over the course of his entire career.

He also tends to bobble the puck and can be frequently cited as the guy who lost the puck on the PP. The Sens PP was God awful though, and Mika certainly wasn't the biggest reason why.

I just personally feel he's a much better player at even strength, when the games going north and south.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This is spot on.

He's got a beautiful one timer, especially when fed from the point to the half wall. That's a big part of his skill set imo, another being a near lock in the shootout.

Listening to his interview the other day, he's upset and that's a big plus for the Rangers. This might be the motivation needed for him to come into camp with his motor already warmed and ready to go.

I think AV will quickly use him with wingers who like to carry the puck in and make plays, which will also benefit him greatly.

I was never a huge fan, but if he puts it all to go, youll be very pleased. Not to mention he and Nash will be a handful.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
:cheers:

Agree with both you and Spezdispenser.

On the topic of Zibby on the power play.. yes he has a wonderful one timer, and has been used in that spot, but his accuracy is really terrible with it.

I remember in one of his first preseason games against Boston him scoring one of the most beautiful one timer goals Ive seen in recent memory, and obviously thought it was a sign of things to come.

But truthfully we've seen what feels like maybe a handful of those at best over the course of his entire career.

He also tends to bobble the puck and can be frequently cited as the guy who lost the puck on the PP. The Sens PP was God awful though, and Mika certainly wasn't the biggest reason why.

I just personally feel he's a much better player at even strength, when the games going north and south.

Yeah, that's another good point, he needs a shock collar for when he deviates from the north/south game, because he was built for that.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Mika has a powerful one timer but it doesn't end up in the back of the net. They were talking about the day he was traded and it was mentioned it has been suggest to him that he should take a little off it for the sake of accuracy. It's something I'm sure he will improve on. He isn't much of a threat right now on the PP, though he can be useful around the net.

There were times he reminded me of Spezza with less vision and puck skills but the way he would skate through the middle of the ice just brought back some memories. Also I'm pretty sure he picked up the fake slapper coming down the right wing from Spezza. Not that you should expect anything close to Spezza but after years of watching both there were similarities in their games. One more thing, his first NHL goal was a slapshot on the PP from the same spot Spezza scored many.

Yeah, and getting him away from Ryan will do him WONDERS. Seriously, what an anchor Bobby is!

Hmmm.

I think he owes a big thanks to Bobby, who set him up for quite a few goals. Of the 41 Mika has scored in the past two season Ryan assist on 21 of those, 18 being primary assists. There was a lot of easy goals coming from a Bobby Ryan pass. On the other hand Zibanejad assisted on 12 of Bobby Ryan's 40'goals with 5 of them bing primary assists. I'm sure Zibanejad will do fine away from Ryan but to call Ryan an anchor is absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
I think Zibanejad will do a "Silfverberg" whit the Rangers. He is one of the most promising Swedish forwards right now, good draft-job by Ottawa and now they trade him for a more established Canadian NHL-er like they did Silfverberg-Ryan. Can't blame Ottawa, I think that Zibanejad was a good fit in that city though. He scored the gw-goal against Russia in the jwc final in Ottawa and all

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
73 games? Dear god how did the team survive for 9 entire games? That's just worshipful resilience displayed by the Rangers for nearly 1/9th of the season. Seriously. Ottawa lost 2/3rds of its top line, including its only first line center for all but 30 games (Turris played injured, but that just made things worse). It does not compare to losing a key player for a few games here and there.

But I'm late to this conversation, and don't know what started it. It's obvious to me that the Rangers suffered from something this season, and that they were a better team to start off with.

Macarthur is not a top line player. Top 6 yes but Hoffman, Stone and Ryan Are more important than him. You would have called Stone, Ryan and Hoffmann top line wingers if they got injured.
How is it different that Nash was injured the same amount as Turris. You lost one top 6 winger for the whole season and Turris for 30 games. Nash 30+ games, malkin 30+ games etc. It happens. No reason to cry about it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Whatever you need to tell yourself....

Ryan found excellent chemistry with Turris, and was only split up from him to try to spread out the offence once Spezza left.

Zibby has never found chemistry with anyone on the the Sens. Not even Stone or Hoffman.

Was it everyone else that was weighing down Mika?
Dont bother ,it doesnt matter what the Sens do it will never be right to him:nod:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
good teams wouldn't have Clarke Macarthurr on their first line to begin with. I mean i'd take him on my second line and i like him as a player, but lets be real if your team is counting on clarke macarthur you have other problems.
His last full season with Kyle Turris he had 28 goals and 58 points,Hoffman is the team top line winger .

But Kyle and Mac work so very well together at both end of the rink .It wouldnt surprise me if they get paired up again .Saying the team hasnt missed him or shouldnt have as much is kinda dumb TBH .Any team would miss a forward like that

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I see Zbad's ceiling as a 60-65 point two way C.

I guess that's what a lower end 1C is.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Macarthur is not a top line player. Top 6 yes but Hoffman, Stone and Ryan Are more important than him. You would have called Stone, Ryan and Hoffmann top line wingers if they got injured.
How is it different that Nash was injured the same amount as Turris. You lost one top 6 winger for the whole season and Turris for 30 games. Nash 30+ games, malkin 30+ games etc. It happens. No reason to cry about it.

So Montreal should have finished 2nd in the conference again? They did have a Hart Trophy winning goalie, should have been easy.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'd be real happy with that if he were to become a consistent 60 point player.
We know at least he can get to 50 ,so its entirely possible .I have called this a win/win deal,it really works from both sides:handclap:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Any chance the Rangers move him to wing? I think he'd be great as a winger.

I doubt it, but it probably depends on other guys on the roster. If Hayes takes a step or three forward and looks like a #2 center, then I could see them trying it. Right now though, I don't see any way Zib starts as a wing with the Rangers (they need someone to replace Brassard--Hayes hasn't shown he can do it yet, and Miller has been playing as a wing for quite a while now).

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
A center scoring 65 points last season would've been 11th best in the league. Right between Giroux and Stamkos.

Lower end?

I mean Turris had 64 points just two seasons ago and people consider him a low end 1C.

Still, I think that's Zbad's peak. I don't think he'll reach those totals in consecutive seasons. Even 60 points might be a stretch. We'll see.

Reactions: Halla

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
Bumping just to roll around on the floor of this thread for a while.

Whatever question marks were around Zibanejad in his time in Ottawa have turned into big fat exclamation points.

I liked Brassard. I liked Zuccarello and Stepan too but I always felt, under the surface, that those three players specifically were not enough of something to take the Rangers all the way. They were too nice. Or something. The team had a soft core. It seems they only started playing tougher after they lost in the finals to the Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad