Rumor: Zetterberg’s contract to Tampa

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kuch and Stamkos have a combined cap hit of $18M, if they both miss 18 games out of 56, it clears $5.8M of cap space. If they miss half the season (28 games), then it clears $9M.

So yes, it does if they both miss about 5 - 6 weeks. If they miss significantly more than that, they would actually have space for a TDL acquisition.

I know they have some good players, but I hope Point is ready for this if it does happen. Man is he going to be a targeted player within our division. I would run him every chance you got as the Wings if the plan is to shelf those two for cap/injury issues and play defensive first hockey. I think they can do it and still win because of Vasy and the top 4 D-man in Tampa. But it is a grinding style of hockey until they can get both back probably.

Coleman can play up the lineup if needed though as can a few of the other guys. Still this hurts them and isn't the ideal way to get to cap compliance at all.

Also our same awful deal for them can be on the table next year where they already have 73 million committed to 13 players and the cap isn't going up from 81.5. That is without Cirelli's and Cernak's new contracts, they are basically pushed up against the cap once you start figuring those likely figures in with 15 players.

Having to figure out which talent to get rid of though are days I miss. Hopefully in five years we are moving on from legit hockey players and making tough decisions like Tampa, that is the nature of the cap.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I know they have some good players, but I hope Point is ready for this if it does happen. Man is he going to be a targeted player within our division. I would run him every chance you got as the Wings if the plan is to shelf those two for cap/injury issues and play defensive first hockey. I think they can do it and still win because of Vasy and the top 4 D-man in Tampa. But it is a grinding style of hockey until they can get both back probably.

Coleman can play up the lineup if needed though as can a few of the other guys. Still this hurts them and isn't the ideal way to get to cap compliance at all.

Also our same awful deal for them can be on the table next year where they already have 73 million committed to 13 players and the cap isn't going up from 81.5. That is without Cirelli's and Cernak's new contracts, they are basically pushed up against the cap once you start figuring those likely figures in with 15 players.

Having to figure out which talent to get rid of though are days I miss. Hopefully in five years we are moving on from legit hockey players and making tough decisions like Tampa, that is the nature of the cap.
They can be mediocre for half a season and still make the playoffs when Stamkos and Kuch return. Heck, they won the Cup without STamkos, so the only player they'd be missing is Kuch.

They will offload players to Seattle after the season. TJ and at least one other player. It's almost guaranteed.

Seattle takes a couple of salary dumps from TBL and MAF from LGK (in a trade), and they actually have a legit team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That's kind of high-flying scenarios, when Stamkos is informed to be full healthy.

If Kucherov is injured, then he is, but you still have to return and then make cap space.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's fantasy world.
Fantasy world is expecting TB to do a big trade with the Wings. When is the last time the Wings were involved in a big trade or UFA signing?

Stall and 2nd to eat $3.2M?
Fabbri for DLR?
Nielsen?

Rebuilds are done through drafts in the cap era, so expect a couple more years of boredom. Maybe they sign an aging vet on a short term contract next offseason to help the kids. I think Malkin (2022) would be hilarious....

What's also fantasy is expecting any of the TB players to waive their NTC to come to Detroit. I will change my username to ButtKraken if that happens. That's how sure I am.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Would you add Vatanen or Hamonic to the Wings D?

No.
I would have before Merril, Staal and Stecher.
Not now.
Hamonic wouldn't play here anyway.

My priority on defense this year Cholowski. He's got to play enough for Detroit to have a good enough idea about whether he's worth protecting/keeping.
Same with Lindstrom, at some degree.
I'd like to see Cholo play 50 games and Lindstrom play at least 20-25.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Don't be too sure on that front ... Rocks and I are friends ... our kids played together a few times in spring hockey ... these guys still play online video together ... again don't be so sure of yourself ... it may be unlikely but far from NO ... did you know Steve Y is da main reason why Tampa drafted Anthony while others in that org wanted to wait further down da draft

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Don't be too sure on that front ... Rocks and I are friends ... our kids played together a few times in spring hockey ... these guys still play online video together ... again don't be so sure of yourself ... it may be unlikely but far from NO ... did you know Steve Y is da main reason why Tampa drafted Anthony while others in that org wanted to wait further down da draft

I guess it's possible
2020%20RFA%20Offer%20Sheet%20Compensation_0.png

You could offer 3x$4,3M... and only have to give up a second.

What are the chances your very high 2nd round pick becomes cirelli? Not too high.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No.
I would have before Merril, Staal and Stecher.
Not now.
Hamonic wouldn't play here anyway.

My priority on defense this year Cholowski. He's got to play enough for Detroit to have a good enough idea about whether he's worth protecting/keeping.
Same with Lindstrom, at some degree.
I'd like to see Cholo play 50 games and Lindstrom play at least 20-25.
Lindstrom is playing for sure, they pulled him back from the SHL.

Cholo isn't getting 50 games in a 56 game season unless DDK gets injured again. Both will play full time after TDL, they probably split time with Staal until then. Merrill plays both sides, and I'm pretty sure Stevie promised Stech and Merrill playing time.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Would Cirelli sign the sheet?
I bet he would for $5M+/5yr. or thereabouts, though I wouldn't wanna pay the picks @ that rate, so $4.3 as alluded to earlier is my max unfortunately. Other teams not in danger of losing (high 1sts) NSH for instance have the cap, could've stole Cirelli instead of resigning Granlund, though I believe they still can. TB is so vulnerable right now, I wonder what the hold up with Cirelli was? (it's kinda moot now with Cernak & the other D just signed).

I'm sure he was priority #1 after Serg. Odd how it played out.
Welcome to DET Mr. Cirelli, here's your $4.3M/4yrs w/NTC.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I bet he would for $5M+/5yr. or thereabouts, though I wouldn't wanna pay the picks @ that rate, so $4.3 as alluded to earlier is my max unfortunately. Other teams not in danger of losing (high 1sts) NSH for instance have the cap, could've stole Cirelli instead of resigning Granlund, though I believe they still can. TB is so vulnerable right now, I wonder what the hold up with Cirelli was? (it's kinda moot now with Cernak & the other D just signed).

I'm sure he was priority #1 after Serg. Odd how it played out.
Welcome to DET Mr. Cirelli, here's your $4.3M/4yrs w/NTC.

He can't get a NTC with that contract.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
He can't get a NTC with that contract.
thanks for the correction, good catch.

Haula to NSH 1.75/1yr

Volkov, Ruutta, Joseph & Cernak all signed leave TB vulnerable to Cirelli OS.

Come on Yzerman, we need a Christmas miracle, get us Cirelli for $4.3 (2nd).

EDIT: the latter part didn't age well, see post #227.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad