Rumor: Zetterberg’s contract to Tampa

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
If Yzerman was unwilling to pick TJ up off of the waiver wire for free I would think the deal would involve more than just Zs contract going back. Maybe TJ + 3rd for Z or something like that?!

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
After thinking about it, Zs contract is only worth like 1m cash for 1 year. I doubt this changes the value of TJ at all. It could just be Steve doing everything he can to get the Illitichs on board and maybe getting as much value he can from Tampa.

Reactions: MBH

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Redeeming a valuable asset we lost to retirement? It's like both cause and solution. To varying degrees.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If Yzerman was unwilling to pick TJ up off of the waiver wire for free I would think the deal would involve more than just Zs contract going back. Maybe TJ + 3rd for Z or something like that?!

Umm, try like at least a 1st coming our way. No way Detroit does this without big prize coming back, as we have no reason at all to deal Z. They want him, cause they can park him on LTIR.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nope i'd still want Tampa's 2021 1st round pick and their Goalie prospect Hugo Alnefet at worse.

I would also probably want Raddish or Foote on top of this.

For this to make sense we are going to agree to do this pretty late in the process. Because Tampa will want to sign the deal with Cirelli after they house Zetterberg on LTIR I think is the intention here. He can sign for 6 million long-term at that point or they can bridge him and Cernak with some of the money.

I think Yzerman has been trying to figure out a way to pry Cernak. It is a nice attempt but I don't see it happening. Still Yzerman is putting the screws to Tampa here, which I like. Interested in what the return is, but I am starting to believe there is simply too much smoke around Tampa and us right now that something isn't happening in the next month.

A big contract on LTIR is becoming key to Tampa's strategy to figure out this year at least, by the way with a flat cap we have another low real money contract with a decent LTIR after we pay him his bonus next year. With Frans we might actually be able to do this kind of exact deal two years in a row assuming he can be talked into LTIR for the final year, which after he is probably scratched most of this year I am thinking he will.

Johnson still has a lot of term. I think he can help the group, I would certainly leave him exposed to Seattle though. He makes too much for what he is. We need to get a pound of flesh, I don't think there are very many teams that can help right now. We need to hammer this leverage, 31 million profit Ilitch and the might of the O6 brand, we need to take advantage of what is unfortunately happening in the world. We are a have in this reality, we cannot let this opportunity pass us by.

Last edited:

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan

For this to make sense we are going to agree to do this pretty late in the process. Because Tampa will want to sign the deal with Cirelli after they house Zetterberg on LTIR I think is the intention here. He can sign for 6 million long-term at that point or they can bridge him and Cernak with some of the money.

I think Yzerman has been trying to figure out a way to pry Cernak. It is a nice attempt but I don't see it happening. Still Yzerman is putting the screws to Tampa here, which I like. Interested in what the return is, but I am starting to believe there is simply too much smoke around Tampa and us right now that something isn't happening in the next month.
Agreed. The Wings are in a unique situation where they can take on money and have an asset that can let a cap-strapped exceed the cap by a fairly meaningful amount. Obviously if the Wings are trading Z for TJ+ getting Cernak back would be ideal, but I highly, highly doubt Tampa would do that. So I think it will be a 1st+Foote+something. Foote was an Yzerman pick all the way, so snagging him makes a certain kind of sense.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

A big contract on LTIR is becoming key to Tampa's strategy to figure out this year at least, by the way with a flat cap we have another low real money contract with a decent LTIR after we pay him his bonus next year. With Frans we might actually be able to do this kind of exact deal two years in a row assuming he can be talked into LTIR for the final year, which after he is probably scratched most of this year I am thinking he will.

Johnson still has a lot of term. I think he can help the group, I would certainly leave him exposed to Seattle though. He makes too much for what he is. We need to get a pound of flesh, I don't think there are very many teams that can help right now. We need to hammer this leverage, 31 million profit Ilitch and the might of the O6 brand, we need to take advantage of what is unfortunately happening in the world. We are a have in this reality, we cannot let this opportunity pass us by.

A first, Foote, the goalie and Tyler Johnson?
I'd be happy with the first.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
A first, Foote, the goalie and Tyler Johnson?
I'd be happy with the first.

I don't think we get all of it, but I think that is what we should be trying. Tampa is in trouble and while playing hardball could get another team involved I am not sure we are not the only one sitting there with a boat and a life vest so to speak.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't think we get all of it, but I think that is what we should be trying. Tampa is in trouble and while playing hardball could get another team involved I am not sure we are not the only one sitting there with a boat and a life vest so to speak.

If I've learned anything, it's that teams are rarely in as much trouble as we want them to be. There's almost always someone offering a better escape hatch.
If Yzerman demands too much, we might never get that first - let alone 2 prospects.

Reactions: DatsDeking

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If I've learned anything, it's that teams are rarely in as much trouble as we want them to be. There's almost always someone offering a better escape hatch.
If Yzerman demands too much, we might never get that first - let alone 2 prospects.

who cares?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad