Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
With the stories out there that the Bruins may go with 11 forwards and 7 defensemen next game, I get the feeling Chara is going to try to play. The 7th dman gives them a safety net if he can't continue or isn't able to really be effective. Just a guess on my part though, but that's the sense I get.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You posted ESTOI with zero context, as if it means anything. I mean ****, Chara and McAvoy play together, so their numbers are going to be similar regardless. What exactly does posting random ES goals against numbers do other than show that the guys playing around the same are on the ice for similar ES goal totals? And how does that relate to the 2 gaffes he had last game?

Did Schwartz not ice the puck only to have Tarasenko beat Chara down the ice to negate it, despite being way behind him to start with? Was that not what kicked off the first goal? Second goal, why would Pasta blindly dump a puck to open space behind the net like that? You cannot be serious in suggesting Chara wasn't supposed to be there. And even if he wasn't, like I already pointed out earlier, what did he do when the puck was turned over? He certainly didn't play defense.

I just can't believe how far some people will go to excuse a guy's miscues. It's okay. He's human, he makes mistakes. It's okay to look at the good and the bad and draw your opinions from everything instead of just taking the info that backs your opinion. You should try it some time.

Monday wasn't his best game, but gun to my head: do they have a better chance of winning 2 out of 3 with or without him -- I say with.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
He shouldn't play. His health is more important.

That said, he's crazy enough to play. That's the dedication he has to the game. A reason why he'll go down as one of the best captains in NHL history. Win it for Z.

I'm no doctor, but I'm guessing that his broken jaw isn't going to get worse. It just becomes an issue of how much pain he can deal with and how playing may affect his healing.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
If he’s out I feel it’s something bigger than a broken jaw. Chara isn’t missing a SCF game for a broken jaw.

I’m not buying into too much of what the ex NFL player’s sources tells him about Chara.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
stepan can play with a broken jaw. z can def do it.
no way z's was as bad as roenicks for a while back.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Blues Scoreboard Flashed ‘Bleed Blue’ As Zdeno Chara Skated Off — Coincidence?

As Chara skated off the ice in the second period, the Blues’ video board operator might have abused his privileges. Again, we stress “might.”

Check out this note from The Boston Globe’s Dan Shaughnessy:

“In the fourth minute of the second, Brayden Schenn’s shot rode up the stick of Chara and hit him near the mouth. The 6-foot-9-inch captain went down like a sawed-off Sequoia, dropping face-first to the ice.

“After a whistle stopped play, Chara got up and skated off, leaving a pool of blood behind. The videoboard over center ice flashed ‘Bleed Blue.’

“Classy.”

How could the video operator time it so perfectly when the injury happened so quickly? Searching for a story it seams.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
with a broken jaw, Id be surprised if he isnt out there with a cage. "just" a pain threshold thing at that point

Again, it's critical for D to communicate on ice, and Z apparently does a great deal of this. If it's painful to say a single word, that's a problem, and very much a potential liability.

Unfortunately, this is the kind of break the Blues have been looking for. My sense is that they will do everything in their power to run the B's out of their own building. The Bruins are going to need seven defensemen.

I'm as sentimental as the next hockey fan, but putting Z out there right now would be foolish.

It's a tough call. I would hope that some here don't hold the attitude that the injury is "not that serious" or that Chara can simply strap on a cage. Not that easy.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
I guess the good news if he does play is players likely can't reach his head during hits. If they do, it should be a very clear penalty that will put a target on their back.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
the number of people qualifying a broken jaw with it’s JUST a broken jaw is laughable.

Obviously it’s all relative, but none of us would be able to do a desk job 2 days removed from breaking our jaws. Can it be done? Of course. But to say “just” a broken jaw is ridiculous.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
the number of people qualifying a broken jaw with it’s JUST a broken jaw is laughable.

Obviously it’s all relative, but none of us would be able to do a desk job 2 days removed from breaking our jaws. Can it be done? Of course. But to say “just” a broken jaw is ridiculous.

Damn straight. I’d still be in the hospital begging for morphine.

Hell most guys here would be out of commission with common cold.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
This is probably the big Z”s last shot at another cup,hope he can get back to play to win it all,if not hope the rest of the Bruins can get it done without him.

member 96824

I break my jaw? The boss isn’t seeing me for 6 years

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
With the stories out there that the Bruins may go with 11 forwards and 7 defensemen next game, I get the feeling Chara is going to try to play. The 7th dman gives them a safety net if he can't continue or isn't able to really be effective. Just a guess on my part though, but that's the sense I get.

But would Chara playing tomorrow be in the team’s best interest? I’m not convinced that it is.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

That's what I'm hearing, if "just" a bit. The guy has an effing busted jaw.

"Get out there, wimp!" *You* do it, jerk.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
But would Chara playing tomorrow be in the team’s best interest? I’m not convinced that it is.

A point made previously. If he can't play effectively because of the jaw, he really shouldn't be out there. Neither should Gryz.

Which leaves the Bruins contemplating difficult decisions as to who they ice. Again, I would go with 7 D.

The Blues will do everything, everything possible to win tomorrow night. They will seek to knock as many out of the game as possible.

The Bruins can't be left -- again -- fatigued, out of position, hemmed into their own zone -- with 5 D.

It's not all about the D, but to me, that will be the main focus. If the Bruins ice fewer than 7 D, I think they're cooked.

I"d love to be wrong.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

That's almost like saying " it's just a concussion" or "just a broken face"

Reactions: Lady Rhian

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I guess the good news if he does play is players likely can't reach his head during hits. If they do, it should be a very clear penalty that will put a target on their back.

I would hope so, but Berube might get mad at the refs

...we wouldn't want poor Berube to get upset

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
From the vibes I got from Cassidy's presser I'd say Grizz is in , Chara is out. A broken jaw is a significant injury. I think it would slow down an already slow player, probably unwise to play Chara.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
From the vibes I got from Cassidy's presser I'd say Grizz is in , Chara is out. A broken jaw is a significant injury. I think it would slow down an already slow player, probably unwise to play Chara.

With a fishbowl on his head too

A defensemen has to play with swivel on his head and constantly has to set up plays, so I don't think it's wise to put him in

Knowing what kind of warrior Chara is and always has been, I wouldn't be surprised if he's trying hard to convince the doctors and coaching staff to let him play

It might work if he was dressed as the 7th D-man and just played on PK's, but what's the point

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Given that it seemed like any other shot block (nasty, but in the end just a bloody lip and your bell rung), this should be a complete non-story. But I assume the video guys have different sequences set to play at the push of a single button.

How could the video operator time it so perfectly when the injury happened so quickly? Searching for a story it seams.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree this makes so much sense

I hate paying home owners insurance and auto but when you need it and have it, it can save you personal ruin

Kampfer is D insurance

Backes 9 minutes on a garbage second line is not worth risking Grzelcyk, Krug or any other D getting hurt

If I look out and see only 6 D before the faceoff- well that’s me slumped in my seats

Simple - tough to hit speed and transition

The best game of the playoffs was the Carolina game when no Chara the 6 man D was a transition machine

****all this Vaakanainen talk makes me think I’m not the only one thinking this ****

I don’t blame the Blues for hitting to hurt - they are so close the goal is right there and that means to accomplish it is proven

You counter it - Bruce 7 bleeping D unless God visited you and assured you all 6 you dress have no health issues

With Backes out it also gives Krejci fresh looks and he probably wakes up

If not Backes then Acciari and out Backes on 4th line

Personally I take Backes out

Let’s see what happens

I’m ready - give me 2 hours I can be in my seats if they want to start at 9 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad