Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Couldn't agree more with you Michael. Spot on. And it's not meant as a criticism of the guy. It's meant as just being honest.

Of course you agree Lonnie!!! Shall I explain why? :laugh:

people who say hes not a difference maker in a good way dont understand hockey. the coaches understand. both our coach and their coach. people who know hockey understand. some fans might not but they are rather irrelevant. I feel sorry for those fans who are missing one hell of a great player wind down his career with us

...because if it doesn't fit your argument, then they are irrelevant.

GMAGDFB

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
perfect no... an overwhelming net positive yes

but if people want to dwell on his negatives they can. the team will keep paying him and the coach will keep playing him and his plus minus will continue to be outstanding and other teams players will keep hating the matchup and his teammates will keep being very happy they got him on their side

but some fans can try to focus on the occasional mistake if it makes them happy

dom... not sure what to say... but if you think chara cant play now you are wrong too. im going to guess you just misunderstood what I said because I dont honestly believe you are on that side of the coin

Reactions: LSCII

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What I'm trying to say is that you can certainly appreciate the good he does, but you have to also realize the negatives he brings now that he's really slowed down. He's not a top pairing guy at this point. He's not.

I dont know, who exactly said this (Ray Bourque, Chelios, ... really dont know), but it was like: "Everybody makes mistakes. In every game. The point is, to make more goodies as mistakes."

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I dont know, who exactly said this (Ray Bourque, Chelios, ... really dont know), but it was like: "Everybody makes mistakes. In every game. The point is, to make more goodies as mistakes."

Absolutely. That's the name of the game. Mitigate mistakes and maximize good plays. The challenge here though is that some folks act like Chara is the same guy from 8 years ago. He's not. He makes a lot more mistakes now than he did and most are tied back to the decline in his skating ability. I'm fine giving him credit for the good plays he makes too, but I also think it's fair to say he f***ed up if and when he f***s up. The same people who act like he's that guy from 8 years ago seemingly cannot be honest with themselves about this though.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Add Tarasenko to the list of those affected by the Chara Flu these playoffs.

But I'm sure it's just a coincidence that all these scorers disappear against him

Reactions: BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Add Tarasenko to the list of those affected by the Chara Flu these playoffs.

But I'm sure it's just a coincidence that all these scorers disappear against him

Again, you can give him all the credit in the world for the good he does. I'm certainly not saying to ignore that. What I am saying is that it's also fair to give him criticism if he makes a mistake.

In terms of Tarasenko, the guy is a streaky player. He's got 2 goals in 3 games against Boston to this point. He had 3 vs the Sharks, 3 vs Dallas, and 2 vs the Peg, so I'd say he's on track to do what he's done through this playoff run, no? Doesn't seem like he's doing anything other than what he's typically done, so I don't get why you'd attribute something to Chara that isn't really there?

But again, this is the dynamic I'm talking about here. Giving him credit for shit that he hasn't done and ignoring it when he makes a miscue. A complete lack of objectivity and logic.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Chara is still a beast... and a very effective player. Question is how long can he keep it up? With the way he takes care of himself he could easily have several more good years. Is 45 possible? Absolutely.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
me too, I can`t recall ever seeing a player get hit with the puck on that part of the body and it start bleeding like that. Was a more than a little worried until I heard/read he`s fine other than a few stitches
I kept looking for bone when I saw the blood. My kid has had her wrists broken so many times from that exact stupid move. I assumed break from start and blood made me think it snapped and broke skin. Was so happy to hear it was just cut.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
J
Chara is still a beast... and a very effective player. Question is how long can he keep it up? With the way he takes care of himself he could easily have several more good years. Is 45 possible? Absolutely.
Judging by his contract I'd say he's deciding one year at a time himself.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It seems like multiple people are reporting that it's a broken jaw.

Sure seems like he won't be back. That really sucks, but I still think we can win. Next man up...Kampfer?

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Unfortunate result. But has been one of the biggest offenders of just tossing the puck out or just slamming it around the boards

Reactions: Dr Hook

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I had surgery n was laid up 12 weeks with busted jaw.If he gets it wired he is done.I had no issues breathing b4 surgery but it was sore .If he could handle the pain it could be done.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I had surgery n was laid up 12 weeks with busted jaw.If he gets it wired he is done.I had no issues breathing b4 surgery but it was sore .If he could handle the pain it could be done.
“Yeah....I played beer league and once had root canal so I know what it is like to be Chara who is twop dog and a future hall of famah that is a complete beast.”

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The dressing room is quiet. The rink is full of tension. Chara has been at the rink long before anyone else on the team. The doctors have met with him. Cassidy has given his thoughts. The Causeway giant has decided.

The team files into the dressing room. Players arrive slowly in small groups wondering what the results are. Chara stands alone, stoic in front of the logo he has grown to love.

His speech begins. The words he says are difficult to say not because his jaw is wired shut and each line causes pain but rather the duty he feels for his teammates, one in particular. Words that seem to be arriving too early for his liking or anticipation. Fate has a way of doing that.

The players see he is holding his jersey with pride. They know he wants to put it on with them and finish the war with his brothers. Only then do they realize it isn't his jersey. It's #37.

The only item that was from his jersey is now Bergeron's. No one speaks a word above his forced syllables. No one shares the moment with the press or media afterwards but the gravity of his words is met by the thousands at the garden on Thursday night as Chara waives the flag higher than it has ever been waived before.

Patrice Bergeron leads the Boston Bruins onto the ice as the roof explodes on Causeway with the C sewn proudly onto the front.

Game on.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It seems like multiple people are reporting that it's a broken jaw.

Sure seems like he won't be back. That really sucks, but I still think we can win. Next man up...Kampfer?

I'll say it again (if I didn't say it in this thread): the Bruins had better play 7 D. They will be swamped, lost and tired with 5. This game is it, especially if Chara is unable to play.

The main point will be defending. Period. They can get the odd goal, the unpretty goal. I doubt many picture perfect goals will be forthcoming.

If they can't defend -- if they're dominated physically, unable to get the puck out of their own end, and lose the all important board battles -- they're going to lose.

Sorry. Call 'em as I see 'em.

Reactions: goflyakite

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I don’t think he’s playing game 5. That said, hopefully it’s a rallying point for the guys. Win it for the big guy.

I think he is done for the playoffs

Jaw problems for the rest of his life is not worth the risk

Chara has done a ton. Win for the big guy

Reactions: goflyakite

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
im not 100% convinced that Chara doesnt play in Game 5. there are various degrees of fractures of the jaw. some obviously more painful than others. If its a "simple" fracture of the mandible, i expect a medicine loaded Chara to start in game 5.

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
He shouldn't play. His health is more important.

That said, he's crazy enough to play. That's the dedication he has to the game. A reason why he'll go down as one of the best captains in NHL history. Win it for Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad