Player Discussion Zdeno Chara - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So to continue the Chara conversation- I still am not convinced I want him re-signed. I know it's a minority opinion here, but it is what it is. That said, he has looked like a different player the past few games. Still slow, but looks a bit faster and also has looked more agile. Even his passing, while still not very good, has done better. I've always liked him on the PK and down low- he is still tops when defending against a grind game along the boards. And I did choose Carlo in the poll that was posted, but last night watching the game I was thinking that if it came right down to a game on the line situation, Chara still inspires more confidence in me than Carlo. I don't know, I am conflicted here :laugh:

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Carlo is young and good and getting better. Z is old and good but will be getting slower. But I love him and 33 will hanging from the rafters

Last edited:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I would be interested to see Chara's workout program this summer. Dude takes so much pride in his craft that, combined with his knowledge that he is getting older, he is likely going to push harder than ever to maintain his fitness and skill.

Z is a big reason the Bs defensive numbers are so good. Ol dude still has something left in the tank. There are a lot of star players in the league that hate to face him to this day because he shuts them down most every time. The playoffs cannot get here soon enough. I cannot wait to see what a Bs healthy d-corps, led by Chara, can do this year.

Reactions: BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I would be interested to see Chara's workout program this summer. Dude takes so much pride in his craft that, combined with his knowledge that he is getting older, he is likely going to push harder than ever to maintain his fitness and skill.

Z is a big reason the Bs defensive numbers are so good. Ol dude still has something left in the tank. There are a lot of star players in the league that hate to face him to this day because he shuts them down most every time. The playoffs cannot get here soon enough. I cannot wait to see what a Bs healthy d-corps, led by Chara, can do this year.

He's managed to slow the decline pretty well, I agree. There is nothing ultimately he or anyone can do about age, though (don't we all know it! :laugh:). What I DON"T want to see is him out there looking awful on a night to night basis. Not from the standpoint of winning games, but because he was such a great player in his prime. No one wants to see Muhammad Ali vs Larry Holmes with Big Z

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
He's managed to slow the decline pretty well, I agree. There is nothing ultimately he or anyone can do about age, though (don't we all know it! :laugh:). What I DON"T want to see is him out there looking awful on a night to night basis. Not from the standpoint of winning games, but because he was such a great player in his prime. No one wants to see Muhammad Ali vs Larry Holmes with Big Z
Agreed. Fortunately for Z he is still a top-pairing player on a great d-corps and is still dominant in his own end. As long as he is still effective he should be in the lineup. Hopefully he knows when to hang em up. Who knows when that will be. Some folks have been predicting his demise yearly now for several years running.

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
underrated part of his game is being the safety net back there.

a big reason McAvoy looks so great flying around the ice and being so active offensively is because he can take risks. He knows if he gets caught up ice, its fine because he has Chara back there covering up

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

a big reason McAvoy looks so great flying around the ice and being so active offensively is because he can take risks. He knows if he gets caught up ice, its fine because he has Chara back there covering up

So long as he can get back in time which is a 50/50 proposition :laugh: (sorry, I couldn't resist)

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
What is more amazing Chara at his age playing hockey or Brady playing football at his age?
I guess both have found the secret

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I mean I think he also knows the whole team will be back there. This team does not allow many odd man rushes and hasn't for a very long time.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Late to the news, and I know it's not a popular opinion, but THE CAPTAIN'S STAYING

WOOO I'm happy anyway. I love this guy. If even only a handful of the youngsters learn from him and take his drive and commitment into their own work ethics, can you imagine what kind of team this would turn out to be?

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
Next season, put him 4th line wing. Forget his defense. Park him in the offensive zone as a screen. It worked for 3 months on the PP a few years ago. He's too slow to keep up with emerging forwards.

Or don't, whatever.

Reactions: Krupp

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I'm trying to picture Chara wreaking havoc as a winger.

I'm not gonna lie, that'd be a lot of fun to watch him drive into other opposing defensemen in corners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad