Speculation: Zawaski: Hawks have Puljujarvi "on their radar"

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I don't know what's the case with Perlini so i won't say nothing on him because i don't have opinion.
But Puljujarvi clearly isn't that good if you remember how good he was 2016 U20 WJC's in Helsinki.

Being honest Puljujarvi's MVP tournament in 2016 U20 WJC's fooled NHL GM's.
Only Jarmo Kekalainen knew how immature and raw Puljujarvi was too bad Chiarelli and Oilers didn't knew that.

Even Teuvo Teravainen had his problems in Blackhawks so if TT didn't work so well as hoped how Puljujarvi then ?
Yes TT was good 2015 stanley cup finals and has developed a lot after that trade to Carolina.

I'm not so hopeful with Puljujarvi.
And in my opinion Toews and Kane deserve better teammate than immature nature child Puljujarvi.
That's why i think trading for Puljujarvi is mistake.

There is possibly something tell-tale to why Finnish-GM Keikolanen of CBJ's passed on picking him #3. You think he would have had lots of connections to home-land info, reports on his character, readiness for pro level, etc.
He chose Dubois &looks like a winning prediction and proper choice for them for sure.
Pulju may be just stuck in his development and is more ready now to adjust, work hard and find a new level of compete and show his skills?? Albeit I believe he needs this in a new setting, new organization, new team. Could it be Chi'-town? And if he can learn the English language 50% better!

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I bet Perlini scores 30 goals IF he plays with McJesus. On another line, he's skating around like a chicken without its head.

Except we saw glimpses of Perlini at his best playing with Strome and Cat last season. I reckon he could score 20+ goals if JC re-unites that trio and sticks with it.

Of course the line would need to be responsible without the puck which is a concern.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'd 100% agree with you on that. You stole the words right out of my brain.
I bet even James Neal might net 30 goals playing with McDeJesus , which he has a chance of!? Mind you Neal was a pure solid goal-scorer for 10 seasons so not much of an outlier there. Just bringing up how "dead-panned, cement-hands" he was in CGY last year. McJesus', like Crosby could turn most semi-offensive skilled shooters into high-end scorers, even middling 3rd liners!

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Except we saw glimpses of Perlini at his best playing with Strome and Cat last season. I reckon he could score 20+ goals if JC re-unites that trio and sticks with it.

Of course the line would need to be responsible without the puck which is a concern.
With the Hawks, Perlini has to play with Cat & Strome OR Kane. I don't think Perlini would work with even Toews.

Perlini needs smart / skilled forwards who can attract defenders to allow him to use his speed and hard shot in open ice. If he gets space, Perlini is dangerous. As for his defense, he has all the ingredients to be a good defender. Unfortunately, it's either his head or motor that prevents him from doing so. That can be fixed ... but he has to want to be a better defender.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

^^^
I'd rather stick with Perlini at this point, but the Hawks are short on RH shots, Puljujarvi and Perlini are similar prospects, and JP is 2 years younger. If it was a straight up deal I'd have no qualms.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
With the Hawks, Perlini has to play with Cat & Strome OR Kane. I don't think Perlini would work with even Toews.

Perlini needs smart / skilled forwards who can attract defenders to allow him to use his speed and hard shot in open ice. If he gets space, Perlini is dangerous. As for his defense, he has all the ingredients to be a good defender. Unfortunately, it's either his head or motor that prevents him from doing so. That can be fixed ... but he has to want to be a better defender.
If Kane and Toews were playing on the same line, would Perlini work with them?

This gives some interesting T9 line possibilities, should Dach make the team:

8-19-20
11-77-88
12-17-92

That would be a little interesting.
The only issue is that 2 of those lines have the potential to be god awful defensively.
Honestly, it's really hard to set up the Hawks lines where one isn't really bad on D.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If Kane and Toews were playing on the same line, would Perlini work with them?

This gives some interesting T9 line possibilities, should Dach make the team:

8-19-20
11-77-88
12-17-92

That would be a little interesting.
The only issue is that 2 of those lines have the potential to be god awful defensively.
Honestly, it's really hard to set up the Hawks lines where one isn't really bad on D.
My hope is Saad finally figured it out. A motivated Saad is good on both ends and would fit well with Toews. Unfortunately, I think Saad does much better playing against the 3rd line / lesser DMen. If he plays with Toews, he'll go against the opponents top line. That's the issue.

AgentMacklin

Jun 17, 2019
A smaller, finesse player who is rather weak along the boards and has trouble burying the puck is not JC's type of player. At 24 years, time is still on his side but Sikura will (quite soon) need to be a helluva lot better to stick with Hawks. Personally, I'd like to see Stan use him as trade bait.
That's why I said Sikura needs to bulk up if he is to get better.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Always a concern and sheltered minutes required with regard to opposing line playing against, and defensive-zone. Only way to learn, grow and find your best is trial, learn from errors, continually teach, instruct coverage positioning and practice it with your line. Coaches must identify, instill duties, awareness, and instruct. Players have to enact and take on the responsibility personally, own it along with bringing their offensive best.
Tough call on if you find 3 younger players who gel and produce and outplay their opponent with play-driving, puck possession, do you hold them back and split them up to learn ,with more seasoned vets/ pros, the defensive responsibility side? May hold-back a potential power-line and team success overall suffers; or, letting youngster--line produce and grow together, while scoring regularly they are or team is still being out-scoredand not as successful in the win column. Conundrum of the hierarchy of team!

AgentMacklin

Jun 17, 2019
Jesse Puljujarvi's stubborn streak has not just been in evidence around the negotiating table: 9 Things

After reading this its pretty clear this guy shouldnt be on anyones radar.

Its so bad teammates are telling the coaches they dont want to play with him.
Wow. If that report is accurate then I want to Hawks to stay the hell away from Puljujarvi. A young player struggling is one thing, but not listening to coaches and teammates is just straight up asinine and makes it impossible for a team to help the player reach his potential.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Jesse Puljujarvi's stubborn streak has not just been in evidence around the negotiating table: 9 Things

After reading this its pretty clear this guy shouldnt be on anyones radar.

Its so bad teammates are telling the coaches they dont want to play with him.

Probably best Hawks stay well-clear of this guy! Let some org. like Fla Panthers
get him and maybe go after Laine in WPG, stock-piling Finns. Could create a
A positive environment comfortable for all the young Finns.
Good for B-hawks would be: - No more Laine in yourdivision to defend against more often and in play-off early round battles; - and staying of clear of "enigma" Puljujarvi likely is!

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Probably best Hawks stay well-clear of this guy! Let some org. like Fla Panthers
get him and maybe go after Laine in WPG, stock-piling Finns. Could create a
A positive environment comfortable for all the young Finns.
Good for B-hawks would be: - No more Laine in yourdivision to defend against more often and in play-off early round battles; - and staying of clear of "enigma" Puljujarvi likely is!
The best Finn athlete in Chicago plays basketball (sorry Maatta). The Hawks have not been lucky with Finns recently.

If you're a hockey player, nationality shouldn't matter. Everyone should know the language/culture of hockey. As for off the ice, I understand one might get lonely ... but as a pro, you work through it.

When teammates publicly question your "motivation," that's a serious issue.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I just don’t see the need for this player. With what we currently have.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
There is possibly something tell-tale to why Finnish-GM Keikolanen of CBJ's passed on picking him #3. You think he would have had lots of connections to home-land info, reports on his character, readiness for pro level, etc.
He chose Dubois &looks like a winning prediction and proper choice for them for sure.
Pulju may be just stuck in his development and is more ready now to adjust, work hard and find a new level of compete and show his skills?? Albeit I believe he needs this in a new setting, new organization, new team. Could it be Chi'-town? And if he can learn the English language 50% better!

Kekalainen isn't stupid he really knew something about Puljujarvi what other GM's didn't.
And sure he has contacts in Finland.

I doubt Puljujarvi gets better on that where he's now.
Yes injuries are hold him back that's one reason why he isn't developed much.

But it's not a explanation on that why Pulju still can't speak English.
Even 10 yrs kid learns English in 3 yrs if he wants to and he has motivation to study it.

Puljujarvi finished school and all studies immediately after junior high school.
And now it looks like it was a bad mistake.

If Puljujarvi's game didn't progress so well in Oilers how it'll progress in Blackhawks then?
Puljujarvi didn't found chemistry with McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins.
So how he'll found it with Toews and Kane then ?

Puljujarvi didn't understand nothing on that what McLellan and Hitchcock tried to explain him.
Thanks for that to language barrier which didn't help or make things easier.

If Puljujarvi had big troubles to understand McLellan's and Hithcock's advises
how difficult that'll be with Colliton then.

Edit
Maybe this article gives some perspective.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

DeBrincat should never be the most defensively responsible player on any given line.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Oilers brought Jesse to Nhl too soon. He has not had any chance playing top 6 and power play, and although he's a pretty good defensive player, he does not want to play on bottom six. He'll rather go to Europe.

Last season his hip slowed him down. Also seems like he did not get along with some teammate(s).

I believe he could really benefit from chance of scenery, and still become a really good player.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Stay away from any player who is more focused on picking their nose with their tongue than what's happening on the ice.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
If the stubbornness reports are true, then yes, stay away from him. Let him go back to Europe and hopefully mature. I still like his talent but if a player isn’t willing to do the things that will make him successful, there’s no helping him. Playing a year or two in Europe could be really good for him.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Wow. If that report is accurate then I want to Hawks to stay the hell away from Puljujarvi. A young player struggling is one thing, but not listening to coaches and teammates is just straight up asinine and makes it impossible for a team to help the player reach his potential.

I certainly don't want the hawks to have Puljujarvi on their radar, but that article is clearly a puff piece. Even if there's a solid amount of truth to it, it didn't seem credible.

Likely, pool party has attitude issues and also Edmonton didn't do him any favors.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I certainly don't want the hawks to have Puljujarvi on their radar, but that article is clearly a puff piece. Even if there's a solid amount of truth to it, it didn't seem credible.

Likely, pool party has attitude issues and also Edmonton didn't do him any favors.
Didn’t read anything like a puff piece. Raised and explained quite a few points, with examples and interviews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad