Speculation: Zawaski: Hawks have Puljujarvi "on their radar"

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Perlini and Puljujarvi are similar in one respect which is both seem to not have the fastest chip set between the ears. They both seem to not process the speed of the NHL game enough to become more than what they have shown so far. They both have NHL skill sets but if they're not able to deploy those skills in a consistently structured basis - they can't be relied upon to be a part of a contending team. Maybe I've misread one or both of them which is entirely possible given I've not seen either one play a whole lot - but that's my initial impression of them.
That's accurate. The problem with both guys and the Hawks situation is that if they don't make the team, they have to go on waivers. They'd surely get claimed. That being said, good organizations take chances like the Hawks did with Strome, Perlini and Nylander. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Rundblad is a good example of when it doesn't.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well we for sure got Strome out of the Schmaltz trade and Perlini was only ever going to be a bonus. If he busts and/or we lose him on waivers I don’t think it’s a major loss or major slight on Bowman

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
This trade would be bad mistake.
Puljujarvi's game and communication didn't work due to langue barrier with McDavid and Draisaitl.
So how it can work with Toews and Kane?

Puljujarvi has been in NHL 3yrs and still he doesn't speak English almost at all.
McLellan and Hitchcock tried everything with Puljujarvi but nothing didn't work.
So you don't need to be a fortune teller to realize the fact it won't get better with Colliton either.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
This trade would be bad mistake.
Puljujarvi's game and communication didn't work due to langue barrier with McDavid and Draisaitl.

So how it can work with Toews and Kane?
I can't understand how's possible Puljujarvi has been in NHL 3yrs and still he doesn't speak English almost at all.
McLellan and Hitchcock tried everything with Puljujarvi but nothing didn't work so it won't get better with Collison either.
How hard is finding open ice when everyone follows McJesus?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How hard is finding open ice when everyone follows McJesus?

How Puljujarvi can be so stupid that he didn't even learn English in 3 NHL seasons?
Puljujarvi has probably lowest hockey IQ to all Finnish NHL players.

Or why else is he pretty close to be next Nail Yakupov.
Yes it's not only language barrier and low hockey IQ why Puljujarvi is close to being bust.

Last edited:
Reactions: clydesdale line

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
How Puljujarvi can be so stupid that he didn't even learn English in 3 NHL seasons?

Yes it's not only language barrier and low hockey IQ why Puljujarvi is close to being bust.
Perlini isn't much better except for the language things. He's pretty hockey stupid himself.

Reactions: Race Bannon

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

And Yakupov spoke better English as the years went on. I'm not gonna day it speaks to his lack of overall intelligence, but the kid has been in NA for 3+ years now and is still no better now than he was at 18. To me, that's screams lack of drive (or want to get better).l and it shows on the ice. I bet Panarin will speak better English than him a year or two from now at this rate.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Perlini isn't much better except for the language things. He's pretty hockey stupid himself.

I don't know what's the case with Perlini so i won't say nothing on him because i don't have opinion.
But Puljujarvi clearly isn't that good if you remember how good he was 2016 U20 WJC's in Helsinki.

Being honest Puljujarvi's MVP tournament in 2016 U20 WJC's fooled NHL GM's.
Only Jarmo Kekalainen knew how immature and raw Puljujarvi was too bad Chiarelli and Oilers didn't knew that.

Even Teuvo Teravainen had his problems in Blackhawks so if TT didn't work so well as hoped how Puljujarvi then ?
Yes TT was good 2015 stanley cup finals and has developed a lot after that trade to Carolina.

I'm not so hopeful with Puljujarvi.
And in my opinion Toews and Kane deserve better teammate than immature nature child Puljujarvi.
That's why i think trading for Puljujarvi is mistake.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
And Yakupov spoke better English as the years went on. I'm not gonna day it speaks to his lack of overall intelligence, but the kid has been in NA for 3+ years now and is still no better now than he was at 18. To me, that's screams lack of drive (or want to get better).l and it shows on the ice. I bet Panarin will speak better English than him a year or two from now at this rate.

Yes that's true.
The good thing is that Puljujarvi is still young so he has time to figure out those issues.
But that how Jesse and his agent did that public trade request was a terrible mistake.

Usually GM decides who gets traded and who doesn't not RFA player and his agent.
So it's not surprise why Oilers isn't got any serious trade offers of Puljujarvi.

If Stan Bowman decides trade Perlini and Sikura for Puljujarvi it's his decision and only he carries the risks too.
It's very easy to be after smart and say Puljujarvi should have played 2 or 3 years to SM liiga and come later to NHL.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I wouldn't hate this trade but I wouldn't love it either. I'm not big on Perlini or Sikura but Puljujarvi is a huge gamble. I think he was rushed and not properly developed but there are legit questions about his maturity.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I wouldn’t mind a Poolparty trade. I like him personally. I thought I read somewhere that he barely played with McDavid. If true, this idea that he failed with McDavid is wrong. He’s young, had injuries, and played on a bad Edmonton team with no other Finns (something that I think gets overlooked). For Perlini, I would be happy. Even Perlini and a slight plus. Perlini and Sikura for Poolparty and a lesser prospect would also work for me. Having said that, I think he goes to Montreal if they get Laine.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
My honest take is that I think Puljujärvi is worth a 3rd round pick and Perlini is worth a 4th round pick.

Puljujärvi has a motor but his skating is too angular (not sure if it's the correct word). He can't do stop-and-go skating. Sometimes I question his hockey IQ.

Perlini doesn't have a motor. Their shot is pretty much equal, their speed is equal. Both lack hockey IQ. Perlini is better skater overall.

Puljujärvi is way younger and may benefit coming to elite organisation. You can't teach will, Perlini doesn't have it. Maybe Jesse does when he gets out of Oilers?

I'd do Perlini for Jesse swap. Nothing more. It would probably mean that Nylander won't start in NHL and neither does Dach which I prefer.

I would consider Perlini for Pulju straight up to. The decision should be based on projection of fit and a spot opening for each. How does it unravel on paper?
Who looks the better option considering their skill-set? Having gotten Nylander, the need for another young euro-star RW'er maybe redundant...Or may prove wise? How did Perlini fair overall in this system, this org last season should give answer to his potential this season. If deemed to be in the outside of a role, than consider moving him for Puljujarvi if available, doable.
Interesting option, proposal.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
The only reason to do this deal is if they're having a hard time coming to terms on a deal with Perlini. I agree with this. However, Puljujarvi was battling injuries last year so I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt.
I do wonder how much of PoolParty's issues are due to Edmonton's crap player development.
A very good point, looking in from the outside. Edmonton has not faired well with many a high-end draft pick developing to their potential, orsticking around long term. So very probable a Change of environment, team spirit and system could prove valuable to his rising to potential. Maybe he could out-dual Laine head on in division match-ups and do his part to help push Hawks above the rival Jets again!?

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
So much potential but people aren’t willing to trade can’t finish Sikura and I show up once a year Perlini? Come on peeps. It will be a fun thread to bump once the trade happens. Bring it home Stan.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I thought I read somewhere that he barely played with McDavid
Mostly played with Nugent Hopkins this past season, but played the majority of the 2017-18 season with McDavid.

So only managed to get 20 points with McDavid which is bad, and then the following year tanked even further with Nugent Hopkins who is a perfectly competent linemate.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So much potential but people aren’t willing to trade can’t finish Sikura and I show up once a year Perlini? Come on peeps. It will be a fun thread to bump once the trade happens. Bring it home Stan.
Sikura was just snake bit. At least he's effective at literally everything aside from scoring whereas Perlini goes completely invisible. Sikura plays a good 2 way game and always has a positive influence on the play. He synergizes with his linemates whereas Perlini handicaps his line.

Reactions: Styles

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Mostly played with Nugent Hopkins this past season, but played the majority of the 2017-18 season with McDavid.

So only managed to get 20 points with McDavid which is bad, and then the following year tanked even further with Nugent Hopkins who is a perfectly competent linemate.

He's only played 16 minutes or more 5 times in his career. The number is even lower if it's 17 minutes or more (2). For a shit team like the Oilers have been, that is pretty poor developing of a player. Honestly, Ottawa should be a team who should take a chance and trade for him. Give the kid top 6 minutes and see if he becomes anything (I mean hell, they're playing another poor hockey sense of a player in Duclair big minutes so...).

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014

He’s definitely competent but they played with Lucic and Caggiula most of the time. Not exactly a great line. He also didn’t play much PP time and when he did it was 2nd PP. I think if he added some strength, he could be a solid player. He’s also only 21. If it was Perlini for him, I’d be happy with that.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
I have said that the best place for Pulju in Nhl is Chicago and it only depends on Colliton, he is good to explain how he want the play.
Its seems that everybody in Edmonton say to each other that Pulju have to learn english and how he should play but nobody say it to him.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I would consider Perlini for Pulju straight up to. The decision should be based on projection of fit and a spot opening for each. How does it unravel on paper?
Who looks the better option considering their skill-set? Having gotten Nylander, the need for another young euro-star RW'er maybe redundant...Or may prove wise? How did Perlini fair overall in this system, this org last season should give answer to his potential this season. If deemed to be in the outside of a role, than consider moving him for Puljujarvi if available, doable.
Interesting option, proposal.
Gumby, you're an Oilers fan, right? I can tell you right now that you'd get the most out of Perlini stapling him to McDavid's wing and never moving him from there. He's going to be hella streaky, but the production will happen. If they try to play him in the bottom 6 you'll get nothing. Perlini has to be carried by top talent, and bottom 6 talent isn't enough to carry him. He has talent himself but he's 100% a passenger on any line. Stick him with McJesus and Drai and you'll be glad you made that deal.

AgentMacklin

Jun 17, 2019
I would be happy to acquire Poolparty and give him a shot providing the main piece going the other way is Zach Smith.

Sikura improved as last year went along and ended the season as a guy whose only real issues were that he was small and couldn't buy a goal. If he bulked up this offseason he could be due for a breakout.

I see Perlini as someone who still has room to develop into a good complementary scorer if he figures out how to become more consistent and engaged away from the puck, and am willing to give him another 20 games or so before trying to move him. I could see swapping him for Puljujarvi in a 1-for-1 deal, but only if the Hawks coaching and scouting staff think they'll be able to get more out of Pulju than Perlini.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I would be happy to acquire Poolparty and give him a shot providing the main piece going the other way is Zach Smith.

Sikura improved as last year went along and ended the season as a guy whose only real issues were that he was small and couldn't buy a goal. If he bulked up this offseason he could be due for a breakout.

I see Perlini as someone who still has room to develop into a good complementary scorer if he figures out how to become more consistent and engaged away from the puck, and am willing to give him another 20 games or so before trying to move him. I could see swapping him for Puljujarvi in a 1-for-1 deal, but only if the Hawks coaching and scouting staff think they'll be able to get more out of Pulju than Perlini.

A smaller, finesse player who is rather weak along the boards and has trouble burying the puck is not JC's type of player. At 24 years, time is still on his side but Sikura will (quite soon) need to be a helluva lot better to stick with Hawks. Personally, I'd like to see Stan use him as trade bait.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Gumby, you're an Oilers fan, right? I can tell you right now that you'd get the most out of Perlini stapling him to McDavid's wing and never moving him from there. He's going to be hella streaky, but the production will happen. If they try to play him in the bottom 6 you'll get nothing. Perlini has to be carried by top talent, and bottom 6 talent isn't enough to carry him. He has talent himself but he's 100% a passenger on any line. Stick him with McJesus and Drai and you'll be glad you made that deal.
I bet Perlini scores 30 goals IF he plays with McJesus. On another line, he's skating around like a chicken without its head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad