Speculation: Zawaski: Hawks have Puljujarvi "on their radar"

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

In Zawaski's latest mailbag, he insinuated that the Hawks have been kicking the tires on Puljujarvi and that if a deal happened, it would be toward the end of training camp. He thinks that Perlini and Sikura could be enough to get the job done, and that a deal could happen because Perlini and Sikura are unlikely to make the team.

Reactions: d rake

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Who was it besides me that said they'd trade Perlini for Puljujärvi straight up a while back?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm not a big fan because he is literally Perlini but at least Puljujärvi is like 2-3 years younger.
yeah, but why trade away Perlini and Sikura for what essentially is a dumber version of Perlini?? Perlini skates better and has a better shot..Pool Party has had compete issue questions, IQ question marks, etc..I think we have enough question mark players as is..if you bring this guy in, he will FAIL in a bottom 6 role, so no f***ing reason to do so unless you plan on playing him with Toews and Kane...and at that point, why the hell did we get Nylander then?? and Kubalik...

Reactions: Mrfenn92

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
yeah, but why trade away Perlini and Sikura for what essentially is a dumber version of Perlini?? Perlini skates better and has a better shot..Pool Party has had compete issue questions, IQ question marks, etc..I think we have enough question mark players as is..if you bring this guy in, he will FAIL in a bottom 6 role, so no ****ing reason to do so unless you plan on playing him with Toews and Kane...and at that point, why the hell did we get Nylander then?? and Kubalik...

Believe me AD I am right there with you but at least Puljujärvi has shown flashes in big stages (I still can't get his World Juniors out of my head). I don't think his hockey sense is as poor as Perlini personally (even though it is bad). He is much more skilled as a player. The main question with him besides hockey sense is he just had double hip surgery. But that isn't a death sentence.

Reactions: jls24

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
At a certain point you have to acknowledge that high 1st round busts might end up remaining as such.
Once lucky .. twice .. well super lucky ( maybe ) but three times lucky ? most likely no sir-ee!
The optimist in me however will never say die ... so roll the dice Stan!! If the spirit moves you.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I get it from Stan's perspective in getting all the lottery tickets you can. Me personally, I'd rather trade Perlini (and Sikura) for whatever pick(s) you can get and just ride with what you have.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Believe me AD I am right there with you but at least Puljujärvi has shown flashes in big stages (I still can't get his World Juniors out of my head). I don't think his hockey sense is as poor as Perlini personally (even though it is bad). He is much more skilled as a player. The main question with him besides hockey sense is he just had double hip surgery. But that isn't a death sentence.
if we didn't just get Nylander and Kubalik I would be fine with it, I just see no reason to bring this guy in with as many question marks as the guys we would be trading away. I don't hate the kid, I just know what he needs to succeed and that is top 6 linemates and minutes..I honestly don't think he can crack the top 6 with what we have to justify the trade...I am all for players like this just don't see it honestly..

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Please god let him be wrong.

Edit - looking back a minute after i said this this may be an overreaction. If the hawks think they can develop him better than the oilers be my guest. It looks like his issues arent the oilers but his own abilities. I just hope if they go after him they dont give anything of significant value up.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Hell no on Pulju, guy couldn’t cut it next to McDavid what makes anyone think he will succeed anywhere else? I would rather have Perlini and Sikura AINEC.

Get picks for guys like Perlini and Sikura if your gonna trade them, we need to recoup some after the Shaw trade anyway

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
if we didn't just get Nylander and Kubalik I would be fine with it, I just see no reason to bring this guy in with as many question marks as the guys we would be trading away. I don't hate the kid, I just know what he needs to succeed and that is top 6 linemates and minutes..I honestly don't think he can crack the top 6 with what we have to justify the trade...I am all for players like this just don't see it honestly..
Yeah, I wanted them to take a shot on Alex Nylander and Puljujarvi but both is just overkill. The only upside to this is that Puljujarvi can be sent to the AHL while Perlini can't, and Sikura is older and has been passed up here. Nylander has much more upside than Puljujarvi IMO but Puljujarvi fits the mold of getting bigger and heavier, should he learn to use his 6-4 frame.
The Hawks have a huge numbers game issue right now, but if they can make this deal as long as Puljujarvi knows it's likely he's going to the AHL and has to work his way to an opportunity with the Hawks it's fine. If he's going to continue to pout idk what the point is, and I'd rather trade the pair for a 2nd/3rd.

If the Hawks could have grabbed Nylander for Perlini and Sikura that would have been preferable because Jokiharju was a hefty price to pay for Nylander.

Last edited:

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I don’t really care for Sikura or Perlini so I’d be fine with it. I don’t think JP would make the Hawks but it’s not a bad idea to build with a young core in Rockford too. Who knows maybe the kid hits his potential. I’m willing to risk a Perlini to see.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I'd want an add if it's for both Sikura and Perlini. I'd love to get Puljujarvi though. I think he develops into a really good player if he gets out of Edm asap.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
I would much rather have Puljujarvi over Perlini because I know for a fact Perlini isn’t good here, but I think Sikura is way too much to add on to that.

Also agree with anyone who has said it would be better to move those pieces for picks if that is an option.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Give me Pool Party over two picks we can get for Perlini and Sikura...
It's tough, because both PoolParty and Nylander might pout if sent to Rockford. That wouldn't be the way to do the reclamation project thing. They're way too deep at F to do this and both would have to play in the top 6. Where does that leave Kubalik? They'd have too many forwards that need top 9 minutes and 10 guys for 9 spots, if you include Dach or Kurashev as the 3C. It would force Shaw to 3C and Kubalik to the 3rd line.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
It's tough, because both PoolParty and Nylander might pout if sent to Rockford. That wouldn't be the way to do the reclamation project thing. They're way too deep at F for to do this and both would have to play in the top 6. Where does that leave Kubalik? They'd have too many forwards that need top 9 minutes and 10 guys for 9 spots, if you include Dach or Kurashev as the 3C.

Its a good problem to have because the picks Sikura and Perlini might fetch a.) wont help for a while and b.) might not help at all...Just roll the dice and see what happens imo...Its not like Smith and Carpenter have to play...if Puljujarvi tears it up and say Shaw is forced to a fourth line role then thats a great problem

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don’t really care for Sikura or Perlini so I’d be fine with it. I don’t think JP would make the Hawks but it’s not a bad idea to build with a young core in Rockford too. Who knows maybe the kid hits his potential. I’m willing to risk a Perlini to see.
Just a note, Puljujarvi is not waivers exempt. If he isn't good enough to make the Hawks, he would have to pass thru waivers.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad