Zadorov comments on Mackinnon’s training, leadership style

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I can't believe MacKinnon is getting more hate than Kane right now.
Both are rumours, but one guy is doing it to try and push the team to win the cup, and the other guy is spending all his money on himself instead of his family.
just sprained my eyes rolling them too hard

kane already has a second thread where every single post is pillorying him while this thread involves lots of discussion about diet and leadership

equating this MacKinnon "hate" with the Evander hate is silly

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Diet stuff is weird. But I'm a big believer in CICO /macros, so a coke or a donut here or there is negligible imo.

Blowing up on a guy after he misses a pass by inches is a dick move. Blowing up on a guy after he misses a pass by inches and you refused to adjust so you can emphasize he f***ed up is c**t tier. Hope they win, he'll end up with nothing but a long list of people who hate his guts otherwise. What was that Scotty Bowman anecdote? "We hated him 364 days of the year, on the 365th day we got our rings". I think this, or Jordan or Djokovic or Brady etc is more "we tolerate you because you win" than "this attitude is necessary to winning", ie Crosby, Bird/Magic, Federer.
Crosby is pretty nuts about stuff, especially with linemates. Probably not to MacKinnon's extent but it's there. Part of the reason Kessel never played with Crosby at 5v5 for any extended period of time. Crosby trains with MacKinnon most of the off-season, they both have compounds next door to each other in Nova Scotia. Bird was also a pretty nuts competitor but it was before the fitness craze. There have been guys who've won a ton while being more easy-going such as Shaq or Magic.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Bird was also a pretty nuts competitor but it was before the fitness craze.

I mean, Bird was taciturn, folksy, stoic, had a "compete level" seldom seen even at the pro level of any sport. But I don't think he was a guy who'd blow-up at teammates routinely because their practice passes were slightly off.

Edit: but yeah, of the guys I listed Bird was much more similar to Brady/Djokovic/Mack, I just don't think he was THAT level of abrasive. Could easily be wrong though

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Love all the people hating on this. The NHL is the 1% of the 1%. If you want to be the best of the best, you gotta go hard to the paint.

I'm even happier to have him on the Avs after reading this.

PM88RU

Dec 24, 2020
Moscow, Russia
Leadership comes in different shapes and forms. Merely because people are different and react differently to situations. There's no such thing as a magic formula or manual when it comes to winning at the elite level for the simple reason that you can't control everything that happens through out the journey to 100%. But you can try improving your chances in order to win something by inserting demands on your surrounding.

I wouldn't expect people to understand McKinnon's mentality when it comes to expectations of his teammates because of several reasons. However, there's one thing that could get someone to perhaps come closer to understanding the mentality of a player like McKinnon.

"Why wouldn't you invest as much or 1% less if I invest this much and make all these sacrifices in order for us to have a chance at winning the ultimate prize?"

Players of extreme talent don't always understand that certain players can't do what they're doing and vice versa. That's why some of the best players never become good coaches in all of sports. But there's another important factor to weigh in here. Great teams often have great players who're extremely focused on a quest and they're often the 1% that are prepared to aim that extreme focus on the final goal. But that also means you're going to burn out people.

A lot of it has to do with how you work as an individual and how you're raised as well. Some people develop into something completely different - others stay the same through out. And sometimes a harder approach is very good if you're looking to achieve your goals.

Well, lead by example, and be respected by players for that extra efforts and sacrifices that you give. All the greatest players did that. In his mid 30s Jagr stayed at practice more than any other team member. So did Datsyuk, Crosby, Kucherov, Kane and many many others.

The problem is that you just can't MAKE others follow your way, that's not the way leadership works.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I was a fan of MacKinnon until i read about what happened with him screaming at teammates and somebody pointing out Makar was nervous playing with him... ....I don't like guys who intimidate people...I don't care what their accomplishments are....That's why i never liked guys like Jordan , Kobe , and Messier....Would rather lose without them than win with them to be honest....

I definitely prefer guys like Dirk, Nash, Steph Curry, Stamkos and Bergeron....All champions (Nash the only one without a ring) and much more likeable....

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey Banana

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
This has become "Snowflake-Thread"pretty quickly...Hilarious. :joker:

A guy, who talks too much and who cares more about his lifestyle than playing hockey (one reason he gets traded again) gives an interview in russia and some dudes on this board go nuts....

Either is MacKinnon abusing Rookies, nor is he forcing any personal diet on other players... C´mon, calm down.

MacKinnon seems to be like this dude:

For clarification: It seems MacKinnon has Ronaldo as his role model.

Especially for you, @Albatros ;)

Hat-sein-100.jpg

Last edited:

Burnaby Schmo

Jan 23, 2021
Love all the people hating on this. The NHL is the 1% of the 1%. If you want to be the best of the best, you gotta go hard to the paint.

Jealous as a Canucks fan after reading this.

Imagine someone who wants to win so badly he'll risk his own desire for delicious food and relaxation to turn himself into a machine. and moreover, risk being outed at a time when being this kind of person is seen as "toxic."

I mean it's one thing going nuts over day-to-day stuff, but professional hockey is truly special, and I admire and respect MacKinnon for leaving it all out there. You guys are very lucky.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This has become "Snowflake-Thread"pretty quickly...Hilarious. :joker:

A guy, who talks too much and who cares more about his lifestyle than playing hockey (one reason he gets traded again) gives an interview in russia and some dudes on this board go nuts....

Either is MacKinnon abusing Rookies, nor is he forcing any personal diet on other players... C´mon, calm down.

MacKinnon seems to be like this dude:

Hat-sein-100.jpg
If he was like Ronaldo then everyone would be hopping on him as well. Theres nothing wrong with either player because they're devoted to being the absolute best in both sports

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Hey man, there is still a thing called being kind to others. The 1% of the 1% know what it takes to play in the league. If some want to eat a few freakin donuts here and there it's fine. It's not like they are eating trash 7 days a week, chugging beer and then going out to play like the players before his time. lol. And even if he is like that, why be an a-hole? It's pointless. Dude is being like a mother hen or something and it's cringe af.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think the most confusing thing about this story is how his best friend on the team for ages was Tyson Barrie, who isn't exactly known for his fitness regime.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
And even if he is like that, why be an a-hole?

Maybe because one wants to win while another one thinks he plays beer-league? :dunno:

And I´m pretty sure when someone wants to eat a "donut", he does it. :laugh:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Av's are close, but its a team game like no other where big stars have been shut down in the playoffs.

MaK said it best himself: i havent won shit yet.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I think the most confusing thing about this story is how his best friend on the team for ages was Tyson Barrie, who isn't exactly known for his fitness regime.

Hypocrisy is part of tyranny.

:sarcasm:

No, but he probably is more relaxed than the quotes let on. Especially the practice passing thing made him sound like a maniac. I'm sure similar things have happened but the quote, or rather the translation, made it sound like he had a hissy fit every day.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I agree the documentary definitely exaggerated certain things. I do think that Jordan's own ego got in the way of success. A double edged sword. Without that need to be the best, he would have never succeeded, but he also had a desire to outshine everyone, including his own teammates.

One thing I will say about MacKinnon, unlike Jordan, MacKinnon did take a salary discount to build a better team.
Jordan actually was grossly underpaid for the majority of his Bulls career, until the last two or so seasons. Never complained about it, though $50m in endorsements per year (give or take) certainly helped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad