Zadorov comments on Mackinnon’s training, leadership style

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It's overstated too. Rodman and Pippen loved Jordan, and as much as that "he and Steve Kerr got in a fight at practise!" thing gets overblown, the part that gets left out is Jordan called Kerr immediately after practise to apologize.

Jordan wasn't much of a yeller either. Nor do I recall anything about him throwing pasta sauce out of the training facility or something, lol.

Jordan was more if you did not come to compete at practises he would weed that out and go after you. If you weren't mentally tough, he'd eat you alive in scrimmages/drills. You had to have mental toughness or you'd get eaten alive by him.
I agree the documentary definitely exaggerated certain things. I do think that Jordan's own ego got in the way of success. A double edged sword. Without that need to be the best, he would have never succeeded, but he also had a desire to outshine everyone, including his own teammates.

One thing I will say about MacKinnon, unlike Jordan, MacKinnon did take a salary discount to build a better team.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Leadership comes in different shapes and forms. Merely because people are different and react differently to situations. There's no such thing as a magic formula or manual when it comes to winning at the elite level for the simple reason that you can't control everything that happens through out the journey to 100%. But you can try improving your chances in order to win something by inserting demands on your surrounding.

I wouldn't expect people to understand McKinnon's mentality when it comes to expectations of his teammates because of several reasons. However, there's one thing that could get someone to perhaps come closer to understanding the mentality of a player like McKinnon.

"Why wouldn't you invest as much or 1% less if I invest this much and make all these sacrifices in order for us to have a chance at winning the ultimate prize?"

Players of extreme talent don't always understand that certain players can't do what they're doing and vice versa. That's why some of the best players never become good coaches in all of sports. But there's another important factor to weigh in here. Great teams often have great players who're extremely focused on a quest and they're often the 1% that are prepared to aim that extreme focus on the final goal. But that also means you're going to burn out people.

A lot of it has to do with how you work as an individual and how you're raised as well. Some people develop into something completely different - others stay the same through out. And sometimes a harder approach is very good if you're looking to achieve your goals.

A bit too wordy.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I agree the documentary definitely exaggerated certain things. I do think that Jordan's own ego got in the way of success. A double edged sword. Without that need to be the best, he would have never succeeded, but he also had a desire to outshine everyone, including his own teammates.

One thing I will say about MacKinnon, unlike Jordan, MacKinnon did take a salary discount to build a better team.
Eh. MacKinnon didn't turn into current MacKinnon until the 2017/18 season. When he signed his contract he had followed a Calder Trophy year with 38 points in 64 games and 52 points in 72 games.

He didn't really take a salary discount. He just happened to turn into a damn good player a couple of years after he signed his contract, which made it a bargain for Colorado.

Reactions: surixon and McNuge

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Just out of morbid curiosity...chickpea pasta reviews...

"Yuck - i can't give it away (really) - first I tried passing it off to my son and his wife and they had the same reaction . It just stays sitting on the way down. I tried. Maybe it's my digestive system as I'm a senior - but I couldn't cope with the heaviness of it. I bought the variety box so tried a number of different possibilities. Nothing like good old fashioned fattening pasta"

"I believed with all the buzz maybe I expected too much. It was hard to tell whether was cooked, so I cooked a little bit more which made the pasta very mushy, it looked almost like a "weird paste" after awhile. I have to agree with someone that said it tastes like a wet cardboard. " I'll try again since I bought too many boxes... I'll let you know"

"To me, this is nothing like real pasta: wrong taste (really, really wrong) and wrong texture. I love chickpeas, falafel and hummus, so I thought this would be a good choice for getting more protein into our vegetarian diet. Nope. Can't eat it. A lot of people like it but let me suggest getting one box to try before stocking your pantry."

"Your product is probably good and good for you but personally Ii didn't like the taste. I donated to the food bank. Sorry."

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Just out of morbid curiosity...chickpea pasta reviews...

"Yuck - i can't give it away (really) - first I tried passing it off to my son and his wife and they had the same reaction . It just stays sitting on the way down. I tried. Maybe it's my digestive system as I'm a senior - but I couldn't cope with the heaviness of it. I bought the variety box so tried a number of different possibilities. Nothing like good old fashioned fattening pasta"

"I believed with all the buzz maybe I expected too much. It was hard to tell whether was cooked, so I cooked a little bit more which made the pasta very mushy, it looked almost like a "weird paste" after awhile. I have to agree with someone that said it tastes like a wet cardboard. " I'll try again since I bought too many boxes... I'll let you know"

"To me, this is nothing like real pasta: wrong taste (really, really wrong) and wrong texture. I love chickpeas, falafel and hummus, so I thought this would be a good choice for getting more protein into our vegetarian diet. Nope. Can't eat it. A lot of people like it but let me suggest getting one box to try before stocking your pantry."

"Your product is probably good and good for you but personally Ii didn't like the taste. I donated to the food bank. Sorry."
Peak offseason post right here.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's overstated too. Rodman and Pippen loved Jordan, and as much as that "he and Steve Kerr got in a fight at practise!" thing gets overblown, the part that gets left out is Jordan called Kerr immediately after practise to apologize.

Jordan wasn't much of a yeller either. Nor do I recall anything about him throwing pasta sauce out of the training facility or something, lol.

Jordan was more if you did not come to compete at practises he would weed that out and go after you. If you weren't mentally tough, he'd eat you alive in scrimmages/drills. You had to have mental toughness or you'd get eaten alive by him.
I've read a ton of stuff on Jordan, and the Jordan Rules is a great book. Your last paragraph is really up for interpretation. If you want to view Jordan positively and as a winner, he was weeding out the weak. If you want to view Jordan as an asshole, he basically was a bully who would step down to if someone stood up for themselves. Jordan was notably hard on certain teammates like Bill Cartwright and Will Perdue. Jordan was also noticeably petty, and would insult guys for things outside of basketball. He's still the greatest NBA player of all-time, but he's a very flawed human being.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If he pays a personal chef $100 k a year, then that chef should be cooking to his tastes around the clock. Pushing it on others is weak. Maybe get them to try it or something, but I would be ordering whatever the hell I wanted everyday.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Eat whatever you want, just work out and keep stuff in moderation. I don't care that he eats kale spinach and all that other health food stuff, but the results are not his fault. Mack will win a cup soon, but diet doesn't factor to winning lord stanley

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
And water is wet. Of course he can be an A-hole. It's pretty obvious in the way he carries himself sometimes. And if you haven't ever noticed it well then I don't know what to tell you. It's funny because he does all this stuff, is a huge jerk and then you have laid back Mcdavid who mops the floor with him. lol

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Diet stuff is weird. But I'm a big believer in CICO /macros, so a coke or a donut here or there is negligible imo.

Blowing up on a guy after he misses a pass by inches is a dick move. Blowing up on a guy after he misses a pass by inches and you refused to adjust so you can emphasize he f***ed up is c**t tier. Hope they win, he'll end up with nothing but a long list of people who hate his guts otherwise. What was that Scotty Bowman anecdote? "We hated him 364 days of the year, on the 365th day we got our rings". I think this, or Jordan or Djokovic or Brady etc is more "we tolerate you because you win" than "this attitude is necessary to winning", ie Crosby, Bird/Magic, Federer.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
ridley seriously is an underrated WR the more i think about it. that dude is the core of atlanta's offense. He did that after eating junk? Good stuff

The thing is, eventually you can't outrun bad eating habits. It catches up to you no matter how much you exercise. But he's young enough so it doesn't matter. Yet.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The thing is, eventually you can't outrun bad eating habits. It catches up to you no matter how much you exercise. But he's young enough so it doesn't matter. Yet.
Agreed. But as long as you do stuff in moderation, you'll be fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad