Zadorov comments on Mackinnon’s training, leadership style

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jordan actually was grossly underpaid for the majority of his Bulls career, until the last two or so seasons. Never complained about it, though $50m in endorsements per year (give or take) certainly helped.
Getting his full salary from Reinsdorf doing his attempt to make the MLB didn't hurt either.

Top NBA players are grossly under-paid relative to the revenue sharing for the on-court impact and off-court marketability due to where the max contract rate sits at (it's been removed a bit with the super-max). Now, it is hard to say anyone who makes 40m a year is underpaid. But, relative to the financial realities of the NBA they are. It is why so many players get handed max contracts. The upper-middle and middle-tier players are dramatically overpaid. The NBA has been like that for ages. It's almost impossible to quantify what a fair contract for Jordan, Magic and Bird would be in retrospect due to how responsible they are for the league's growth and overall increase in franchise values league wide.

Reactions: zombie kopitar

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I agree the documentary definitely exaggerated certain things. I do think that Jordan's own ego got in the way of success. A double edged sword. Without that need to be the best, he would have never succeeded, but he also had a desire to outshine everyone, including his own teammates.

One thing I will say about MacKinnon, unlike Jordan, MacKinnon did take a salary discount to build a better team.

It wasn't until Jordan's last Bulls contract he made max money (believe it was around $30-35 million/year).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
5iny18.jpg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Some of it, especially the food part, seems a little extreme to me. Your hockey captain should not be deciding what players can or cannot eat. If he becomes vegan will he try and force the whole team to be vegan? Chickpea pasta sucks just like cauliflower pizza "dough". It's about moderation and generally eating well most of the time. Having a slice of pizza or a small serving of pasta with a white sauce is not going to kill your health or ability to play the game. Makes him look more like a control freak than anything, I mean yelling a teammate for a slightly off pass? Come on.

Reactions: Nemesis Prime

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You probably need a solid person in between MacKinnon and the team to ease tensions. That more than X and O's is why Phil Jackson was able to work with Jordan and Kobe (Tex Winter actually handled the X and O's of the triangle offense). Not everyone on a team is going to perform optimally being yelled at for a misplaced pass in practice or being told what they can and can't eat. I'm sure Phil Kessel's regime drove someone like Crosby nuts but Phil helped him get two cups, or I'm sure Rodman's antics drove MJ nuts. You aren't going to find 23 high-end hockey players who all respond to this approach. Is it good to have a leader who sets the tone? Yes. He clearly cares and wants to win, but it can also drive people nuts over a 9 month period.

Yes, all of this. It's also much easier for someone who is fanatical to have their influence positively felt over an NBA team with something like 9-10 players in a rotation. Self-investment, high standards, competitiveness, intensity are all, clearly, virtues. There's nothing to criticize anyone for. Knowing how to get the best out of your teammates, and having the flexibility & awareness that requires, is also a virtue.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Av's are close, but its a team game like no other where big stars have been shut down in the playoffs.

They actually showed up in that crucial game 5 against Vegas until 2 of our sweds made bonehead plays and the now traded Graves thought he is the next Al McInnis......

They even erased a 3-1 deficit and took Dallas to Game 7 with Hutchinson in net the year before....
So it´s not all bad. Vegas big stars were shut down by Montreal and Vancouver... So, it happens.

Our biggest problem is that we cant hold a lead even if our lives depend on it.

But you´re right: He hasn´t won shit so far. That´s reality.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Some of it, especially the food part, seems a little extreme to me. Your hockey captain should not be deciding what players can or cannot eat.

He is not the captain of this team. And i doubt he can decide what his teammates can eat or not. Come on, these are grown-up men. There is a translated story in a russian newspaper form a guy who loves to talk and half the board goes crazy.....You know what, every single GM in the NHL would kill to have such a guy on his team.

The more "hate" MacKinnon gets, the more i like him and the fact that he is on my team. :snide:

And, of course, we get some funny memes and vids... At least something. :laugh:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He is not the captain of this team. And i doubt he can decide what his teammates can eat or not. Come on, these are grown-up men. There is a translated story in a russian newspaper form a guy who loves to talk and half the board goes crazy.....You know what, every single GM in the NHL would kill to have such a guy on his team.

The more "hate" MacKinnon gets, the more i like him and the fact that he is on my team. :snide:

And, of course, we get some funny memes and vids... At least something. :laugh:
Ohh I like him as a player on the ice but if any of that is true it is insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad