Zadina

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I can't wait til we have MoJesus, the human wrecking ball patrolling the D & N-zones.
Yeah, but I hope his shoulder holds up to the NHL. He's going to be in some big collisions the way he plays.

When he injured his shoulder this season, someone mentioned that he had a prior injury and was wearing a brace of some sort. Looks like he missed some time couple of seasons ago with a shoulder injury.

Seider A Strong German Defenseman

The article is kinda funny, read what they said about his physicality, lol.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yeah, but I hope his shoulder holds up to the NHL. He's going to be in some big collisions the way he plays.

When he injured his shoulder this season, someone mentioned that he had a prior injury and was wearing a brace of some sort. Looks like he missed some time couple of seasons ago with a shoulder injury.

Seider A Strong German Defenseman

The article is kinda funny, read what they said about his physicality, lol.

"He's not overly physical, but he's tough enough both along the boards and in front of the net." I'll settle for "tough enough" lol.

I think it'll take exactly 1 game (vs. each opponent), maybe even 1 period for opposing fans of each team to not only take notice of him, but develop their hatred/jealousy.

By the time we play all 31 teams, we'll have 31 fan bases ready to storm the castle.

Can't wait for MoZilla aka MoJesus to wreak havoc & let loose the dogs of war.

que Mick laughin' it up!

Reactions: Tetsuo

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's whiffed or taken poor shots on many opportunities.

He wasn't even playing well positionally until a few games ago. He's starting to get it now that he's playing with Larkin and Fabbri. Missed a good opportunity today but it was a tough bouncy pass.

If Larkin can set up Fabbri, he can set up Zadina. He just needs to be in the right place.
I think it only feels like "so many opportunities" because this team gets so few opportunities. Broken plays, pucks not in his wheelhouse, PP shots with slow puck movement (with the goalie square to the shot).
Should he have scored 2 or 3 more goals with the chances he's had? Probably.
But until this team is actually creating more chances than the other team, outshooting teams, and still losing.. I don't think the finishing ability of our players is the biggest problem.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think it only feels like "so many opportunities" because this team gets so few opportunities. Broken plays, pucks not in his wheelhouse, PP shots with slow puck movement (with the goalie square to the shot).
Should he have scored 2 or 3 more goals with the chances he's had? Probably.
But until this team is actually creating more chances than the other team, outshooting teams, and still losing.. I don't think the finishing ability of our players is the biggest problem.
If he's waiting for a perfect pass, he'll never score.

Looks at the goals today, out of the 5 goals, only one was a perfect feed, LGD to Flip for a one timer. Most NHL goals are dirty goals, not perfect setups. That's why perimeter play doesn't work in the NHL.

Also, the less chances a team has, the more critical that they make the most out of them. Zadina really hasn't so far. Lately he's in the right place but his shot is still off.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Federov, lol.
Joe Mantegna ftw

upload_2021-4-5_10-47-42.png

Bart Lebda approves.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Luc Clendening
I think you only see that mistake on the main board here because of Adam Clendening. It's not a mistake made by Wings fans or broadcasters, just NHL fans not familiar with the Wings. The same people that judge his abilities based on points and not his overall game.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I watched the play several times and I couldn't figure out how he made it.

Well they just never showed a close up angle of it I don't think. It's seems like a pretty common NHL-level stick check but the most impressive aspect about it is all about how it's a good sign for where Zadina is at in his development.

Reactions: 14ari13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Inside Red Wings forward Filip Zadina's quest to be a 2-way threat: 'I've gotta earn it'

There's a paywall here, so for those who are opposed to that, I apologize. I thought this article by Bultman was a nice compilation of the defensive strides that Zadina has made and the subtle aspects to his game that are appealing as we watch him develop.

And for an added bonus, you can read through the comments where a certain poster on this site turns things into a bar fight and argues with Bultman because he (poster) doesn't like Zadina. It's like being a child and seeing your 2nd grade teacher at a restaurant with their family; you suddenly realize that life exists outside of school, but the people are still the same. Who I am referring to you either already know, or you can let your imagination run wild.

Edit: It gets better and better as you go, as said poster implies that Zadina is a second round player.

Last edited:

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Inside Red Wings forward Filip Zadina's quest to be a 2-way threat: 'I've gotta earn it'

There's a paywall here, so for those who are opposed to that, I apologize. I thought this article by Bultman was a nice compilation of the defensive strides that Zadina has made and the subtle aspects to his game that are appealing as we watch him develop.

And for an added bonus, you can read through the comments where a certain poster on this site turns things into a bar fight and argues with Bultman because he (poster) doesn't like Zadina. It's like being a child and seeing your 2nd grade teacher at a restaurant with their family; you suddenly realize that life exists outside of school, but the people are still the same. Who I am referring to you either already know, or you can let your imagination run wild.

Edit: It gets better and better as you go, as said poster implies that Zadina is a second round player.
Well ya, he’d trade zadina for kody Clark straight up lol

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

MBH was busy in that comment section. Go get em, John T.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

I wouldn't go to the lengths he has gone to in arguing with people, but if anyone suggested Zadina would score 10 goals (over a full 82 game season) in his +3 year I think most would consider that disappointing. I get that people don't want to hear that, but it doesn't change the fact Zadina is not the goal scorer we had all hoped he would be when he was drafted. Now I don't blame Max for writing an article on how Zadina is doing the "little things" that are part of being a pro, that's fine. He has to write articles and there isn't a lot to write about right now. So I appreciated the article while understanding that Zadina ins't the offensive player we had hoped we were getting. Maybe that will change and it will be great if he can become the 30 goal scorer we all hoped we were getting.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I wouldn't go to the lengths he has gone to in arguing with people, but if anyone suggested Zadina would score 10 goals (over a full 82 game season) in his +3 year I think most would consider that disappointing. I get that people don't want to hear that, but it doesn't change the fact Zadina is not the goal scorer we had all hoped he would be when he was drafted. Now I don't blame Max for writing an article on how Zadina is doing the "little things" that are part of being a pro, that's fine. He has to write articles and there isn't a lot to write about right now. So I appreciated the article while understanding that Zadina ins't the offensive player we had hoped we were getting. Maybe that will change and it will be great if he can become the 30 goal scorer we all hoped we were getting.

I guess the question is what player do you think he is, the one who was scoring at a 23 goal/44 point pace last year or the one scoring at a 10 goal/35 point pace this year? Obviously I am not thrilled with the output that we have seen this year, but I also don't think that his output is representative of his ability either. I think he's a better athlete, more well rounded, and all around just better player than he was last year, and I can see a lot of things that lead me to that conclusion. I think numbers are coming, but it might not be this year just given the state of the team.

Things contributing to the low production would be inconsistent support with Bertuzzi being out causing a lot of shuffling of the deck, Ryan and Fabbri have both been in and out of the lineup with injury, Mantha has been up and down in terms of his play, and Larkin has been snakebit himself. A defensive first structure, not always highlighting offensive creativity, with his enhanced focus on the defensive side of the puck is something that cuts into offensive production (look at Larkin's first 3 years: 0.56 ppg, 0.40 ppg, 0.77 ppg). Call it a sophomore slump if you want, but when players have some success and follow it up trying to be a more complete player, offensive production can stagnate. Lastly, and this is something that has been alluded to, some people think the powerplay is designed to flow through Zadina as the shooting threat, but it really hasn't been operating that way since it started having some success. Teams have consistently placed their PK presence leaning towards the right wing side of the ice to limit the time and space for Zadina and Mantha when they line up over there (even though Mantha has flipped sides now). Arguably Hronek's only true flaw offensively is his struggle to open up and deliver consistent passes to that side, and when PK units are going to shade that side it's going to make it increasingly difficult to come across clean, dangerous scoring chances. The powerplay has had most of it's success looking off Zadina and moving the puck to Larkin on the left wing half wall and letting him move his feet and move the PK; sure some of that success includes passes across to Zadina, but the team lead for powerplay goals is still Adam Erne and Tyler Bertuzzi...two guys who make noise in the slot and net front...not from a shooting position on the faceoff dot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it's fair to criticize the lack of scoring goals so far.

I don't think his shot is the issue, I think it's more about not consistently getting into scoring chances at even strength. When he has time and space on the PP, his shot looks plenty dangerous and effective to me.

I see the passing ability, hands, and the improved defensive play. I think he has good hockey sense. These are things I have always liked about him.

I think I expected a little more evolution in his skating and ability to generate scoring chances for himself. That said, he is still developing. I know guys like Pastrnak and Forsberg were effective earlier on, so I could see how the expectation for this year would be higher. But you also have guys like Max Pacioretty, who scored 6 goals in his first 86 games in the NHL, then went down to the AHL, then went on to become a consistent 30 goal scorer. So everyone's path is different. Hopefully he can continue improving and we surround him with better talent and things take off from there.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
he. Hasn’t. Played. A. Full. Nhl. Season.

wtf does it matter if it’s his D+3. If it was his D+10 and he hadn’t played a full nhl season I wouldn’t be shocked/disappointed in his stats. So much talk about “he’s not the scorer we thought.” Finished product like 60 games into his career. Got it. (With a covid shutdown in arguably the most important point of his development.)

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I'd like to see him more active and moving a bit on the powerplay. I think it's more a function of our entire powerplay being stagnant. It's a gripe I've had about the redwings powerplay for some time. It seems as everyone is TOOO defined in their role and position. I watch other teams and there is a lot of movement and changing of positions, you know an actual cycle? Ours basically consists of force feeding Mantha and occasionally Zadina and every team knows that's the gameplan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad