Zadina

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think that's part of the reason he's going to watch... Zadina getting very limited time, and playing with low skill players or players with next to no motivation/confidence.. Does he look like a totally different player in Grand Rapids? Maybe he (Yzerman) then thinks, it's a coaching problem finally. The talent level on the team is very low, but coaching isn't helping the situation. This is also a good chance for Steve to evaluate where Zadina is in his development, as I'm sure even management is trying to see what they have in the kid.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think that's part of the reason he's going to watch... Zadina getting very limited time, and playing with low skill players or players with next to no motivation/confidence.. Does he look like a totally different player in Grand Rapids? Maybe he (Yzerman) then thinks, it's a coaching problem finally. The talent level on the team is very low, but coaching isn't helping the situation. This is also a good chance for Steve to evaluate where Zadina is in his development, as I'm sure even management is trying to see what they have in the kid.
Don't you dare get my hopes up like that!!!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
screw what Stevie thinks. Stevie needs to talk with Blashill about his usage. If Blashill just plans on using him on the 3rd line with plugs then let him stay in Grand Rapids.

I like Glendenning on the top line because he works hard and helps give that line energy makes them tough to play against while shutting down. Larkin can't do it all. And they showed good offensive chemistry together while Mantha is out.

I like Fabbri on the top 6 and he has earned it. What has Zadina done?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I like Glendenning on the top line because he works hard and helps give that line energy makes them tough to play against while shutting down. Larkin can't do it all. And they showed good offensive chemistry together while Mantha is out.

Nothing. thats the point. send him back to Grand Rapids if you think he doesn't deserve to be in the top 6. I would rather that then he play a grinding role for this team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Has anyone besides Larkin, Mantha, Fabbri, and Bertuzzi "earned" ice time this season? Zadina should be on the top 6 because the other players have shown that they don't belong there. He can be sent back down when Mantha returns.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
screw what Stevie thinks. Stevie needs to talk with Blashill about his usage. If Blashill just plans on using him on the 3rd line with plugs then let him stay in Grand Rapids.
There is no reason to talk to Blashill after 10 those games.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Got a lot of lucky points tonight against Winnipeg haha

skilled players create their luck.

He was a dog all night. Creating turnovers, beautiful dime passes. He lost the puck and earned it back immediately. The way he’s back checking on guys and taking them off the puck is fantastic. His “lucky” points are a reflection of fantastic play with and without the puck. He has been doing it his entire call up and he’s finally being rewarded on the scoresheet.

what I see from him most nights is a top 3 offensive threat and a top 5 defensive forward. I can’t overstate how happy I’ve been with his play lately, as I was beginning to sour on him early this year.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Nothing. thats the point. send him back to Grand Rapids if you think he doesn't deserve to be in the top 6. I would rather that then he play a grinding role for this team.

Or we'll rationalize Glendening in Zadina role for energy or Zadina as a 3rd line scorer?...

Seriously people kill me with the rationalizations. Barely ever would Glendenning be a top six forward on a playoff team... but we need him there for "energy". SMH. :huh::help:

An we're trying to develop an anticipated 30 goal scorer in Zadina but we're asking what he's done in his 2nd season... with low usage and bad linemates... Ok, well, Idk he'll prolly have a better career than Glendening. Just throwing that out there.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

He was a dog all night. Creating turnovers, beautiful dime passes. He lost the puck and earned it back immediately. The way he’s back checking on guys and taking them off the puck is fantastic. His “lucky” points are a reflection of fantastic play with and without the puck. He has been doing it his entire call up and he’s finally being rewarded on the scoresheet.

what I see from him most nights is a top 3 offensive threat and a top 5 defensive forward. I can’t overstate how happy I’ve been with his play lately, as I was beginning to sour on him early this year.

The little backhand saucer passes he dishes on the rush are so nice. Just takes a skilled player to receive them.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Or we'll rationalize Glendening in Zadina role for energy or Zadina as a 3rd line scorer?...

Seriously people kill me with the rationalizations. Barely ever would Glendenning be a top six forward on a playoff team... but we need him there for "energy". SMH. :huh::help:

An we're trying to develop an anticipated 30 goal scorer in Zadina but we're asking what he's done in his 2nd season... with low usage and bad linemates... Ok, well, Idk he'll prolly have a better career than Glendening. Just throwing that out there.
Exactly why I would rather him playing top line minutes with decent teammates in Grand Rapids than Blashill putting him on a line with Glendening and Helm

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

The thing that I find most encouraging is that while he blew up on the score sheet last night, I don't think that his game was substantially different than his performance in the previous seven games. He has gotten more comfortable, without a doubt, but he's still making those passes even in the games we have lost, or he hasn't been on the score sheet.. He's trying to get the puck to dangerous places whenever he gets the opportunity, it just so happened that we finally capitalized on a few of his chances.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
The thing that I find most encouraging is that while he blew up on the score sheet last night, I don't think that his game was substantially different than his performance in the previous seven games. He has gotten more comfortable, without a doubt, but he's still making those passes even in the games we have lost, or he hasn't been on the score sheet.. He's trying to get the puck to dangerous places whenever he gets the opportunity, it just so happened that we finally capitalized on a few of his chances.

exactly. And I don’t think he’s looking to score, yet. I think he’s just trying to always do the right thing and be a plus player and get confident with his game in general. Once he’s settled in and realizes these things are working, I think he’ll start trying to look to score more often. I’m really excited after the last 8 games. He’s back on track in my book, to living up to his billing.

Reactions: mantha39

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I agree with everything everyone is saying. I am excited to see Yzerman play an active role like this too he is going to personally see what is going on that is awesome. I also agree I don't want Zadina player grinder minutes that is just stupid and is what probably ruined Jurco (if Jurco even ever had a chance of becoming anything)

It is good for players to learn other roles you always take away something, but for crying outloud don't give him career ending injuries playing hard grinder minutes before he even develops physically.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
exactly. And I don’t think he’s looking to score, yet. I think he’s just trying to always do the right thing and be a plus player and get confident with his game in general. Once he’s settled in and realizes these things are working, I think he’ll start trying to look to score more often. I’m really excited after the last 8 games. He’s back on track in my book, to living up to his billing.

The goal last night was important for him. For a kid looking to build that confidence, seeing that puck go in could convince him to start looking for those chances more. Especially on the powerplay, he has been very pass first, which isn't what I would have expected.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I love how his hard work is finally paying off. His progression from year 1 to year 2 is really something. He’s a completely different hockey player and it’s crazy.

Last year he didn’t seem to have a lick of hockey sense and now this year it seems to be his best asset. Same can be said for his forechecking and stickwork.

It kinda reminds me of Larkin’s progression from his sophomore slump to his third year.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Zadina is not looking like a fish out of water now. He's simplified his game, trying to do less on his own and using his teammates to keep the play going. He's getting the puck and moving it before pressure gets him to cough it up. I haven't seen him take the puck at the half board and try to skate to the middle of the offensive zone with it. This is a definite improvement. I think there's still some room to grow in this area, for example he needs to take some more shots rather than look to pass first. He looks to be on the right track, though.

However, I'm still not seeing the offensive wizard / deadly goal scorer he was drafted as. I'll use Fabbri as a contrast. When Fabbri is on the ice, he consistently creates scoring chances. Every time he's got the puck in the offensive zone I'm thinking there's a chance for us to get a goal. Zadina's office is that right faceoff dot, and sure enough that's where he scored from yesterday. When he is open there and the puck finds him, he buries it. Besides that one area, he just does not generate good scoring chances or find himself in a position to score if he's fed the puck. Occasionally there's a rebound opportunity, he's good at trailing the play to the net and cleaning up, but I don't see a 30 or 40 goal scorer in the making here.

The two assists yesterday were extremely lucky points. The goal was very nice, that's the same shot Zadina has been displaying in GR. He's got to show me more before I start thinking he's got a future in the NHL as a goal scorer. I still think he's more like Happy Gilmore than a sniper in the making.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

The bounce on the shot may have been a fortunate one, but I wouldn't call this assist "lucky," he generated this scoring chance with a beauty of a pass.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I've been really lackadaisical about the whole Blashil situation but if Zadina has been ready for the bigs and Blash is misusing him badly that is a hard stop for me. I feel Blash has been good with development but I don't get the grinder assignment for Zadina. It's just stupid. Set they young guy up for some success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad