Zadina

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I saw a tweet yesterday (wish I could find it) that Zadina and Jack Hughes had the same number of points in their first 65 games.
Confirmed filip zadina is better than jack hughes based on the logic against zadina in this thread. Would have went 1st overall in 2019!

Reactions: Killerjas

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Use your eyes.
Use your stats.

Those scouting reports are one of the reasons why people are disappointed.

"dynamic sniper"
Nope.
Not even close. There's is nothing about his game that screams sniper.

I think it's quite possible that Zadina has great hands. But he doesn't create space for himself and he doesn't skate "very well."

More and more, Zadina looks like that guy who takes the drop pass on the rush and then feeds the next guy in...
rather than the guy who takes the pass and finishes it.

So why do you think people felt that way about him just 3 years ago vs what you are seeing now?

Were they just wrong?
Did his skills plateau and not get any better?

I am just trying to understand how we got from A to B, as someone who follows these prospects in their draft year before they become DRW property. Because it's hard for me to read that in 2018 and then hear in 2021 that his shot is "weak, ineffective, X, Y, Z" that I have seen in this thread and not roll an eye.

I understand he has 3 goals on the year. That is not necessarily a reflection of his skill set, though. Just repeating that is not really that helpful. Particularly when last year he had 8 goals in 28 games and was shooting 13%, which you are not mentioning at all.

Last edited:

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
So why do you think people felt that way about him just 3 years ago vs what you are seeing now?

Were they just wrong?

I am just trying to understand how we got from A to B, as someone who follows these prospects in their draft year before they become DRW property. Because it's hard for me to read that in 2018 and then hear in 2021 that his shot is "weak, ineffective, X, Y, Z" that I have seen in this thread and not roll an eye.

I understand he has 3 goals on the year. That is not necessarily a reflection of his skill set, though. Just repeating that is not really that helpful. Particularly when last year he had 8 goals in 28 games and was shooting 13%, which you are not mentioning at all.
6% is going to be his career average apparently. Covid gave him noodle arms.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Were they just wrong?

I don't see a bad shot from Zadina. He's not Brett Hull, but it's fine enough to score some goals. No one on this team is putting many points on the board, and the road games this team plays are nearly automatic forfeits. Even at home, the main way this team stays competitive is manipulating their matchups and locking it down as much as possible.

Hopefully we see some talent brought in for next season, through the system and from the outside, and we see this team able to push forward a bit more consistently.

SergeiYzerman

Oct 9, 2018
6% is going to be his career average apparently. Covid gave him noodle arms.

Right, he's a 12% shooter at every level including the NHL last year. It's either a PDO problem, or the aforementioned issue with his shot. He's proven to us that when it's working properly, it's a damn good shot. Something is not right with it, and I expect that it's something he'll correct in the offseason.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I expected Zadina to play a lot like Tarasenko, but he plays more like Hemsky. Good two way possession forward who plays an east/west game.

Not the worst thing, he passes the eye test, just odd since his shot and top end speed are probably the things I like least about his game

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I expected Zadina to play a lot like Tarasenko, but he plays more like Hemsky. Good two way possession forward who plays an east/west game.

Not the worst thing, he passes the eye test, just odd since his shot and top end speed are probably the things I like least about his game

I think his shot will still be his biggest strength at the NHL level. He had a beauty snipe tonight. I think even back to his draft year though what's always made Zadina great is how well rounded his offensive package is. He's a great stickhandler and a great passer. Neither should be his bread and butter at the NHL level. Once he really sets into the league I expect him to be a sniper. Those other skills make his shot much more dangerous though because you can't play him aggressively to keep him from shooting. He'll dangle you or pass the puck. His offensive game is so complete that you can't cheat.

His weakest attribute during his draft was definitely his speed. He's a shifty skater but not a fast one. While he's gotten faster, it's continued to be his weakest tool IMO. His skating and hands are good enough to beat guys but I don't think we'll see him pulling away from people or beating them wide with speed the way that someone like Larkin or McDavid can.

Obviously he's not as good, but Kucherov was and is my favorite Zadina comparison. Kuch has otherworldly offensive skill and Zadina is a more diligent two-way player, but the way they navigate the offensive zone is very similar IMO especially younger Kucherov. Hopefully Zadina keeps getting better and ends up that good someday, but even if he stays a very poor man's Kucherov, that's a hell of a player.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Worst scoring team in the league. Bashes the guy that hasn’t played a full nhl season and is learning to score with a coaching staff that doesn’t want to and a bunch of teammates that can’t themselves.
That is MBH to you. More i am reading his comments the more i believe that he is some kind of mental pacient typing from asylum. 90% of his comments are about Zadina and how bad he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: newfy

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
His lack of scoring might turn out to be a blessing in disguise in the long run. Detroit wasn't doing anything this season no matter what. Given Zadina's work ethic, his desire to succeed and make an impact on the ice, I am sure he will look into his shooting technique during offseason and what went wrong in that regard. His shot has probably always been a bit overrated, he wasn't scoring all those goals because of an other wordly shot, he has quick release, good positioning and decent accuracy, but his shots lack velocity. If he can learn to generate more power behind his shots, he will be a 30+ goal scorer season in season out.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
All the hype boils down to that one World Juniors...2016 or 2017 where I believe Necas was just feeding Zadina onetimer's and Zadina was easily beating crappy junior goalies and shitty d. Still waiting to be impressed by this guy, hell Rasmussen has made bigger strides in my opinion just by watching him. Both suck right now though 5 goals between them in what, like 60+ games played by top 10 draft picks. Ugh

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
All the hype boils down to that one World Juniors...2016 or 2017 where I believe Necas was just feeding Zadina onetimer's and Zadina was easily beating crappy junior goalies and shitty d. Still waiting to be impressed by this guy, hell Rasmussen has made bigger strides in my opinion just by watching him. Both suck right now though 5 goals between them in what, like 60+ games played by top 10 draft picks. Ugh
Sounds like you didn’t watch the WJC.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Who is feeding Zadina one-timers now though?
I definitely agree he needs to find a way to score more, but he is a scorer on a team without playmakers.

Reactions: breuk and ZadinaN11

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah, he was absolute trash in the QMJHL, with a PPG comparable to the player that went #1 overall the year prior.

Reactions: breuk and newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Yeah the goal at 1:30 of this video was all Necas for sure. Goal at 2:30? Absolute bomb short side top shelf definitely all Necas as well. Goal at 3:45? Goes to the hard area and tips a dmans shot, all Necas. Goal at 5 mins where he gets his own rebound a couple times not giving up on the play, after skating the puck from his side of the red line all by himself? Big time Necas energy. Goal at 9:20? Nice secondary assist while Zadina scores on a nice one timer.

Its so easy to tell on these boards who literally knows nothing about hockey and are nerds who just sit in their basement and watch the game. No actual knowledge of the sport

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Next 2 seasons are very important for us to know if he was a good pick. NHL have changed , it's very hard for kids to play. Lately it's 22-24 year olds who just starting their impact on the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad