News Article: Zack Kassian placed in stage 2 of NHL's Substance Abuse & Behavioral Wellness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
the broken foot, out 2 months may be a blessing in disguise. Will give the Habs more time to help him and more time for him to think about his future.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Marc Bergevin, by his own admission, is all about character.

You don't bring someone into the fold that has issues, and then turn your back on them when they need help. That's not what being part of a team is about. Kassian is one of their brothers, and he's fallen down. They will pick him up, and as long as he does the work in Stage 2 to get healthy and clean up his act, the Montreal Canadiens will give him every opportunity to crack this roster.

For Bergevin to turn his back on him, when he's at the bottom, would be a total lack of character on his part. He won't do that.

The best post in the whole discussion, if Kassian will do the work, the guys will help him back.

grumpworsley

Jan 7, 2012
I'm not sure it's a League decision. I thought the team had the lead here.
"The National Hockey League and NHL Players Association weighed in later in the day, suspending Kassian without pay and placing him in Stage 2 of their joint substance abuse program. Stage 2 is reserved for players who have experienced earlier problems and have failed to comply with their after-care program."

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Didn't Marc Bergevin HIMSELF, TODAY, without knowing all the facts DID say that Bergevin lacked character and judgment? That "there's a reason why a player like that is available"?. That he is a risk? That he doesn't have a 8-year contract? That "he thought he already had 1 wake up call....how many wake calls you need"?

How's that for backing up a player? And again, all that while he admitted he didn't know ALL THE FACTS?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If he needs help, he needs help. I hope this is a wake up call for him and he figures it out, he's still a young kid.

On a selfish note, at least it comes off the cap.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Didn't Marc Bergevin HIMSELF, TODAY, without knowing all the facts DID say that Bergevin lacked character and judgment? That "there's a reason why a player like that is available"?. That he is a risk? That he doesn't have a 8-year contract? That "he thought he already had 1 wake up call....how many wake calls you need"?

How's that for backing up a player? And again, all that while he admitted he didn't know ALL THE FACTS?

Yes. He was mad. This happens. See my previous post for my take on it.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
"The National Hockey League and NHL Players Association weighed in later in the day, suspending Kassian without pay and placing him in Stage 2 of their joint substance abuse program. Stage 2 is reserved for players who have experienced earlier problems and have failed to comply with their after-care program."

Thanks for that. First time I saw it.

bouquet

Mar 30, 2014
Québec
Bergevin hired Martin Lapointe, who had problems in the past. I'm sure he can forgive Kassian if he is doing what he should.

Nynja*

Presuming the doctors dont clear him all season, does his contract roll over to the next season? I'm presuming no, and he goes to being a RFA

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I think he had enough facts to make those statements. He may have felt be didn't have enough to know his next step. It's really not as contradicting as you're making it out to be.

It's not like Bergevin threw him under the bus. He said it was disappointing and below his expectations. That's true. And he's clearly backing him up now by ensuring he gets treatment.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Yes. He was mad. This happens. See my previous post for my take on it.

Okay so HE'S allowed to be mad about a situation...and we're not. I get it. I think there's a difference though...we are mad here...nobody knows about it. When it's on TV....it's a litte different. Mind you, I don't mind him saying that. But he didn't backed him up today contrary to what was said earlier.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
the broken foot, out 2 months may be a blessing in disguise. Will give the Habs more time to help him and more time for him to think about his future.

Broken foot...2-3months? So...we can see Kassian back out there in early December (or end of November). Great!!

If he needs help, he needs help. I hope this is a wake up call for him and he figures it out, he's still a young kid.

On a selfish note, at least it comes off the cap.
This is only fair, especially since there is a track record here...not the first time for this player.

That said, I really hope Kassian will be back on the ice to help our Habs in end of November or December.
(2-3 months for broken foot?).

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I think he had enough facts to make those statements. He may have felt be didn't have enough to know his next step. It's really not as contradicting as you're making it out to be.

Come on man, it's already tough to figure out what's behind the scenes...how about we go with what we hear. He wasn't talking about "the next step", he was talking about the actual event. He kept repeating how he didn't know everything to comment and yet...he commented on it. He surely will back him up at one point....but today's wasn't an exemple of it. But somehow in here, we are judged more severly than the pros. Bergevin bashed him today. And Kassian TOTALLY deserved it.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Broken foot...2-3months? So...we can see Kassian back out there in early December (or end of November). Great!!

This is only fair, especially since there is a track record here...not the first time for this player.

That said, I really hope Kassian will be back on the ice to help our Habs in end of November or December.
(2-3 months for broken foot?).

I'm not really worried about a guy out drinking tbh, as long as he performs. Therefore, I hope he's back then helping the team as well. However, if he's not going to change and it's a problem for the club I have no issue with them trading him or waiving him.

Chemistry is underrated I think. Talent is great, but if there's an issue in the room all the talent in the world can't save you.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Pretty sure his teammates and management will do all they can so he can overcome his addiction problems. For all we know he's back after Christmas and in better shape than he's ever been in the last few years.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Come on man, it's already tough to figure out what's behind the scenes...how about we go with what we hear. He wasn't talking about "the next step", he was talking about the actual event. He kept repeating how he didn't know everything to comment and yet...he commented on it. He surely will back him up at one point....but today's wasn't an exemple of it. But somehow in here, we are judged more severly than the pros. Bergevin bashed him today. And Kassian TOTALLY deserved it.

We are just blind haters with an agenda to push and Bergevin's farts smells like cinnamon buns.

Don't try to fight it, you've already lost. ;)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Do you truly not get it? By your own admission, you deliberately, consciously, misconstrued what I did in fact write in order to prop up your pet theory that I secretely wished physical pain on the kid and that I was even "happy" he was injured.

Equally out to lunch is that the "motive" you allege I have for wanting the kid physically harmed is that somehow his pain and suffering will magically help the Habs team which you presume I love. How Kassian's suffering might help the Habs, you haven't disclosed, but whatever, cuz you see - your alleged motive is entirely basis - I'm not even a fan of the Habs: a fact which you would have readily discovered had you taken 10 seconds out of your entire day's campaign to win some sort of argument and just scanned my post history. Sheesh.

Here's a hint for you - I love hockey, as in the sport itself. I play rec 3-4 times a week and I watch it even more. Multiple games on multiple monitors. Any team, all teams. I love hockey and I just happen to be able to afford whatever I like. I've also ended up following some teams more than others, mostly because I become keen on particular players and dig in a bit. The Habs are, at this stage anyway, merely interesting to me because of Kassian's trade here - but Kassian is merely interesting to me because of the constant connection drawn between him and Hodgson, of whom I am fan (I'm loyal if nothing else, lol). I think they've each had some raw ends of the stick along the way, and they each have an interesting year ahead with their respective windows closing on the chance to truly solidify themselves as long term NHLers. So, I'm interested.

Do you get it yet? I'm interested. I've got opinions. I've got theories. But seeing how I'm not even a genuine fan of the Habs and I sure don't "love" them enough to want a kid to suffer pain for the team's sake, there's about a 100% chance that your pet theory is out-to-lunch. As in entirely baseless, groundless, lame, erroneous, fruity. You're simply making it up as you go.

So, keep up the campaign to trash me on the basis of your fantasy world pet theory, or eat a bit more crow and let it go. Whichever you choose, whatever.

Remember - it's just an anon hockey discussion board, maybe lighten up a bit and enjoy banter for what it is, rather than wasting a day trying to find the worst in someone you don't even know. :yo:

Whatever you say buddy, you care about the well being of Kassian, it's all good, we can leave it at that. It's a pointless discussion.
Cheers!

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

Going with what you hear is why you *****ed and moaned about chuckie over the summer. Come on man!

Bergevin is not backing him up now because he obviously knew all the facts (he can't be the one to leak the information... that's pretty basic). He will back him once the dust settles and do everything he can to help him get clean and bounce back.

And you're absolutely right. Kassian deserved the bashing today.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Agreed. Re: today's comments,Bergevin was pissed, for sure. But that's what happens. Anybody who's ever dealt with an addict knows that. You feel betrayed by them, you get pissed at them...but you still try to support them through all of it. It's a frustrating, trying, exhausting experience, especially when you put your trust in that person and they break it.

You are incorrect......a person with an addictions issue does not break your trust they have a relapse! It's not about your trust or faith in them it's about their disease.

I am assuming that Kass has a substance abuse issue.

This can be great turning point for Kass or sadly the continuation of a long spiral down.

From the teams perspective it's better to have happened now rather than later in the season, or in the playoffs after more solid relationships had been developed.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Going with what you hear is why you *****ed and moaned about chuckie over the summer. Come on man!

Bergevin is not backing him up now because he obviously knew all the facts (he can't be the one to leak the information... that's pretty basic). He will back him once the dust settles and do everything he can to help him get clean and bounce back.

Yeah, and that's not my fault. This was and will remain an awful press conference. When we talk about things we don't know, we are bashed...but now we will bashed for waiting to hear it from the management? Great! So what's the point of a message board then? What are the discussins about? We can't discuss about things we don't know 'cause hey....we don't know them. And now, we can't discuss about things we hear 'cause hey....it's not true either. This is getting funny.

Sorry, but if Bergevin says something that I don't agree with, I'll say it. Now the difference is that if something else happens....I won't be surprised.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I think bashing is the wrong term. Bashing implies an unreasonable amount of criticism. He just said that Kassian screwed up and implied it reflected badly on the team. Jean Blow, and it wouldn't have been in the media. Athletes, especially Habs in Montreal are under intense scrutiny. Basically, he as saying that Kassian shamed the name of the Habs with his behavior. And he did. That's not bashing. That's calling a spade a spade. Just because he didn't know everything, didn't imply be didn't know anything. That's a very important distinction. Bergevin obviously knew enough to make the comments he did. He's very media savvy. He didn't know enough to speak further than his disappointment. Really, how much information do you think be needed to be disappointed?

I wouldn't be surprised if the team had seminars for celebrating in public. Be always with friends and people you trust. Have a designated non-drinker at your table to take control if necessarily. Never drive if you're planning to drink. Treat the public and your servers with respect and generosity. Etc. Etc. Etc.

By the way, as long as this thread has been going, my feeling was that we don't have enough information yet so I decided to not commit to an opinion, except that's it's a very unfortunate situation.

Now I have an opinion. Kassian screwed up big time, and Bergevin was thoughtful and restrained in his remarks.

Last edited:

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
You know the whole "those who live in glass houses throw the first stone" syndrome...
We all face demons in our lifetimes and sometimes the hardest part is acknowledging there is a problem or that we may need some help. The league may be doing him a favour here.

I think this is where folks need to differeniate between player and person.

I can't emphasize directly with his plight but I certainly understand trying to deal with things beyond our control.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Habs knew about stage one, it was in the contract. You break the conditions of said stage one, you get to stage two.

Bergevin was aware. McGuire even confirmed that. Martin that is. He took a chance. Kid needs help. He will get help from all sides. Beware of depression in this story. Could play a role.

And who knows how many more players are under stage one? Addiction is the Mother of all battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad