News Article: Zack Kassian placed in stage 2 of NHL's Substance Abuse & Behavioral Wellness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
How many of the guys blasting Bergevin for the trade would take Prust back for a fifth? Raise of hands?

Ya, that's what I thought.

The Habs have very little invested in Kassian and we can find his replacement in the system very easily. I'd rather have him then not and disappointed that he won't break out here but this is just not a big loss at all.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Come on now, he's got to stage 2 of the substance abuse program. That's automatic rehab if he wants to play in the NHL again. He does have an addiction problem. No need to sugar coat it at this point.

The program is for substance abuse, behavorial and/or psychological problems such as: Depression, anxiety, add, narcolepsy etc...

We dont know what issues Kassian had. We dont know why he was in STAGE 1 so it bugs me that people jump to conclusions and call him am addict.

I have experience with the treatment of addicts, schizophrenics, bi polar, depression and they face so much judgement and rarely get the chance to set the record straight about their misbehaviour.

Likewise I have seen people abuse the system claiming medical conditions they dont possess to get themselves out of trouble

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
The program is for substance abuse, behavorial and/or psychological problems such as: Depression, anxiety, add, narcolepsy etc...

We dont know what issues Kassian had. We dont know why he was in STAGE 1 so it bugs me that people jump to conclusions and call him am addict.

I have experience with the treatment of addicts, schizophrenics, bi polar, depression and they face so much judgement and rarely get the chance to set the record straight about their misbehaviour.

Likewise I have seen people abuse the system claiming medical conditions they dont possess to get themselves out of trouble

Bob Mackenzie said he was in stage 1 already on that's hockey

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Bob Mackenzie said he was in stage 1 already on that's hockey

I wrote:

"We dont know WHY he was in stage 1".

The program is for a variety of issues: phychological, medical, behavioral, addiction.

Until it is conclusively stated that he has addictions it it irresponsible and innaccurate to state that he does

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
I also believe he has the right to privacy. It is none of our business why he was in stage 1.

We never know the struggles people are dealing with. Could be medical. Could be horrific tragic childhood trauma. Remember Theo Fleury?

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
I wrote:

"We dont know WHY he was in stage 1".

The program is for a variety of issues: phychological, medical, behavioral, addiction.

Until it is conclusively stated that he has addictions it it irresponsible and innaccurate to state that he does

My bad. Read it quick. Thought you said "if"

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I'll bet dozens of nhlers under the age of 25 have been up til 4 having a few too many Old Milwaukees over the course of the last few weeks, but only a few kept going til dawn, and only one ended up with a bunny running his rig into a tree and breaking his nose and talon. Bad luck for the big guy. So he cops to having "an issue", which means he likes to do this more often than the hard core Biosteel athletes of today -- not a one of whom is capable of uttering anything more than a predigested soundbite cleared by their lawyer, the club and Gary's dwarves at NHL HQ -- which if he was doing this in a pre-9/11 world would have been a boys being boys thing and would have put him in good company among real athletes with real personalities and problems rather than the corporate suck types like Patches, who couldn't wait to pile on with his "bad judgment" judgment. How about "it's too bad he's hurt, we don't know the whole story, the guy can play and we'd like to have him back soon". What I wouldn't give to have Patches say something like " you gotta be careful when you go out for breakfast in this town, cause those trees can be shifty".....

Classic JV. Your posts are too few and far between. And I agree with what you said. Old-school players of all sports were lionized for their partying. Zack hasn't seen fit to adjust to the current zeitgeist; unfortunately for him, he got himself injured, which is the worst affront of all. On the bright side, this is the beauty of the depth that MB is building. It would have been a lot worst without Fleishmann and Semin, as well as serviceable players on the farm.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

How much of that experience was gained by spending time on HF? :sarcasm:

This is not exactly a forgiving environment but given what we now know, Kassian has a disease and that goes beyond the issue of immaturity that we were ascribing to him before the Stage 2 admission news came out.

No doubt, he also has some growing up to do, but first and foremost, the demons he must overcome on account of the disease he has, are the prevailing and overwhelming factor that begs for professional guidance. Happy for him that he is getting it, this may or may not save his hockey career but more importantly, it may save him from himself and from a precipitous downward spiral that could have led to far worse.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Kassian is told he has to go to treatment- I wish him well. The sad part is you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it. That analogy also includes being forced into treatment. Those who get better and work that rigorous way of life hit rock bottom and want help. If Kassian has hit rock bottom in his mind and wants help...he stands a chance. Most 24 year olds are not ready to take on this life style until later but we will see. If he is going to treatment to check the block he will crash and burn again. His chances are not good tbh.
On 29 Oct of this year God willing I will celebrate 33 years of sobriety...I am speaking of experience on Zack Kassian. I wish him well.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Kassian is told he has to go to treatment- I wish him well. The sad part is you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it. That analogy also includes being forced into treatment. Those who get better and work that rigorous way of life hit rock bottom and want help. If Kassian has hit rock bottom in his mind and wants help...he stands a chance. Most 24 year olds are not ready to take on this life style until later but we will see. If he is going to treatment to check the block he will crash and burn again. His chances are not good tbh.
On 29 Oct of this year God willing I will celebrate 33 years of sobriety...I am speaking of experience on Zack Kassian. I wish him well.

This is my issue with court ordered, or in this case, team ordered substance abuse programs. You cannot make someone change. These program will inherently fail. And putting those who do not have an issue into the program, but as a way to save face with the public, doesn't do anything.

I believe sobriety programs in sports are inherently a failure.

One issue I do have with your statement is when you say most 24 year olds are not ready to take on this life style. I know many... many young individuals who lead a sober life through the program. Remember, the success rate for sobriety at ANY age is rather low... sadly.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Didn't you read the news? Kassian is going to rehab. We don't know if it's alcohol or other drugs, but he's going to rehab. Which means he has an addiction problem.

Why are you trying to sugar coat it? The guy has problems and denying it is not helping one bit.

I just hope he can get something positive from that incident. Maybe it'll help him get his **** straight.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Yeah, and that's not my fault. This was and will remain an awful press conference. When we talk about things we don't know, we are bashed...but now we will bashed for waiting to hear it from the management? Great! So what's the point of a message board then? What are the discussins about? We can't discuss about things we don't know 'cause hey....we don't know them. And now, we can't discuss about things we hear 'cause hey....it's not true either. This is getting funny.

Sorry, but if Bergevin says something that I don't agree with, I'll say it. Now the difference is that if something else happens....I won't be surprised.

You have no arguments. You just have complaints on things you take literally when it's obvious he's hiding something. Bergevin could not reveal all that he knew at the press conference because it's not his place to leak the information. End of story. You want to be ignorant and take his statements literally (Like at the end of season presser), by all means... that's what message boards are for.

I am also allowed to give my opinion on yours. That's the beauty

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I really hope our boys can refocus through this mini-scandal and smash the leafs this wed.

As for Kass... it's up to him.

In my experience very few people really ever change. Though there are a few gems.

KerryFraser

Apr 6, 2008
I don't know why Bergy bring this guy on his team, obviously he does a mistake and it was hard for him to admit it today in his press conference.

I wish that he learned about this.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This is my issue with court ordered, or in this case, team ordered substance abuse programs. You cannot make someone change. These program will inherently fail. And putting those who do not have an issue into the program, but as a way to save face with the public, doesn't do anything.

I believe sobriety programs in sports are inherently a failure.

One issue I do have with your statement is when you say most 24 year olds are not ready to take on this life style. I know many... many young individuals who lead a sober life through the program. Remember, the success rate for sobriety at ANY age is rather low... sadly.

I agree that there are some 24 year olds who undertake the 12 step program but many sadly fail. Over my 33 years in the program I have seen many successes and many more that went back out. All we can do for Zack is pray for him and that he sees how blessed he truly is.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
I agree that there are some 24 year olds who undertake the 12 step program but many sadly fail. Over my 33 years in the program I have seen many successes and many more that went back out. All we can do for Zack is pray for him and that he sees how blessed he truly is.

No one know what Kassian's situation is, so it's all speculation.

Don't like the way people are judging what's going on.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
No one know what Kassian's situation is, so it's all speculation.

Don't like the way people are judging what's going on.

Would-be forensic experts who lack the essential qualification: expertise!

In time we'll get our answers.

JV

Feb 12, 2003
na
Visit site
Didn't you read the news? Kassian is going to rehab. We don't know if it's alcohol or other drugs, but he's going to rehab. Which means he has an addiction problem.

There are a lot of people who are in rehab who don't have addiction problems. I would go to rehab just to meet girls who are at least awake enough to know they're angry about something. Don't assume that someone has a particular problem just because a health care professional or their boss says so (which should be private and confidential information, by the way). Some folks end up in rehab only to find out their real problem is PTSD, and that substance abuse is but a symptom.

The team should take the high road: "it's an upper body injury and he'll be reevaluated". Or "Zack is taking some time away from the team to heal and deal with some personal issues". These savages are more discrete when talking about somebody's freaking ankle than they are when talking about his innermost being.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005

Why are you trying to sugar coat it? The guy has problems and denying it is not helping one bit.

I just hope he can get something positive from that incident. Maybe it'll help him get his **** straight.

The nhl ordered him to go. Does not mean he is addicted or has a problem.

It's quire possible that it's just a way for the nhl to save face because there was an accident.

Since Pelly Lindbergs death in the 80s the Nhl takes car accidents seriously. Rightly so.

They are starting to take concussions seriously.

With so many enforcers admitting to substance abuse problems, the league is starting to take addiction and behavioral problems seriously also.

But I strongly think that what is going on with Kassian has more to do with the Richards and Kane scandals than its own merits.

Kassian is not a superstar so its easy to send him to rehab so everyone just moves on and it becomes a non-story.

I hope i'm wrong and the nhl is generally trying to help him. But this whole strory smells fishy to me

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
There are a lot of people who are in rehab who don't have addiction problems. Don't assume that someone has a particular problem just because a health care professional or their boss says so (which should be private and confidential information, by the way). Some folks end up in rehab only to find out their real problem is PTSD, and that substance abuse is but a symptom.

The team should take the high road: "it's an upper body injury and he'll be reevaluated". Or "Zack is taking some time away from the team to heal and deal with some personal issues". These savages are more discrete when talking about somebody's freaking ankle than they are when talking about his innermost being.

Agree 100% !!

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The nhl ordered him to go. Does not mean he is addicted or has a problem.

It's quire possible that it's just a way for the nhl to save face because there was an accident.

Since Pelly Lindbergs death in the 80s the Nhl takes car accidents seriously. Rightly so.

They are starting to take concussions seriously.

With so many enforcers admitting to substance abuse problems, the league is starting to take addiction and behavioral problems seriously also.

But I strongly think that what is going on with Kassian has more to do with the Richards and Kane scandals than its own merits.

Kassian is not a superstar so its easy to send him to rehab so everyone just moves on and it becomes a non-story.

I hope i'm wrong and the nhl is generally trying to help him. But this whole strory smells fishy to me

Oh please... put down the thin foil hat.

Sending any Habs or Habs propect to rehab *IS* story, it's a ****ing gold mine for the media in fact. You can't hardly give them anything better than that before the season has even started yet.

As for why Kassian was in Stage 1 already, it can be many thing. For all we know voluntary enrollment in Stage 1 for behavior was a condition for the Habs to take him off the Nucks' hands hoping the program would help him to stay in line.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The level of denial around here is something.

You really think Kassian has no addiction problem AND he won't come out saying so? He's gonna let the team and the NHL tarnish his reputation just like that?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
We should call Zack "Le Roi du Camion" from now on.

Seems like Montreal was too much for this guy. I hope he gets better. And if it were me, I would keep him. If he gets his life in order, there's a good potential there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino