News Article: Zack Kassian placed in stage 2 of NHL's Substance Abuse & Behavioral Wellness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
Nice argument, wearing shorts and t-shirt in October is unacceptable and should be punished. Also partying with girls who are not your girlfriend until 6h30 am is something I've never seen before, such a rare and despicable behavior for a guy in his twenties.

Totally agree! Such hypocrisy in throwing Kassian under the bus. Nothing wrong with partying late. Next Habs game wasnt for like 4 days. Last hoorah before the season starts.

I suspect he is being treated harshly due to the mike richards and kane scandals. NHL is in damage control mode.

If it is true that he legitimately has substance abuse problems, then his suspension makes sense. But so far it seems like many people jumping to conclusions without any proof.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I think MB is a great GM (not a perfect one) and I think he handled the Kassian situation perfectly today

He said all the right things, didn't sugar coat things and didn't try to shield the player from criticism.

Not sure what more you want from him in this situation?

He made a move, which speaking purely from a hockey point of view, was a CLEAR win for the Habs.

He acknowledged and dealt with the player's off-ice issues when he acquired him. He said so himself today at the press conference, Bob McKenzie also confirmed this on TSN about 1hr ago.

But the player has a responsibility too...they can't be with him 24hrs a day 7 days a week.

While some people here may be MB apologists, some of you also love throwing stones at him when there's really no case for it.

There may be more players currently on the Habs who are in stage 1 of the program...should he waive them right now purely because of this?

I was not referring to how he handled the situation. I'm referring to how the trade was hailed as a fleecing of epic proportions....Prust was a throwaway and Kassian was a potential 1st line, game breaking power forward. Some of us pointed out that the guy was on his 3rd team at the ripe age of 24....we were told to pipe down.

Who cares if he knew it about his office issues, he still made the move and lost. He's not going to win every trade...again, MB can do no wrong in the eyes of some people here.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Err...I haven't read the whole thread but I thought he gave his keys to his girlfriend (or female friend or whatever) because he was drunk...

As a businessman with a company or as an employee of a company, especially a prominent company such as Molson's and the Montreal Canadiens, you have a responsibility to those you serve/service, to represent them in the best possible light. Being a professional hockey player for Montreal, a player is under the grandest spotlight in hockey, his actions as an adult are his own, until those actions bring into public focus unnecessary media attention. Driving a vehicle for a company that's given in return for the advertising and sponsoring the players of the cities favorite team, one merely expects the courtesy of respect from the driver. The circumstances certainly don't present that companies best interests, the woman driving wasn't the person given that favor, first off, the resulting accident, timing of it and the statements made by witnesses don't leave much doubt about Zack's decision making while partying. The night could have been a complete nothing, had they not driven the vehicle, taken a taxi or a limo(even more discrete) for those that care how they are perceived by the public or their fans, IMHO.

This isn't his first fiasco by any means, certainly these issues have been discussed privately before entertaining any trade, I would think, but that's between the Habs and Zack. Now I'm not trying to judge him or anything like that, I'm merely pissed that my team's character comes under scrutiny for his lack of tact. Certainly I hope the Habs and Zack work this out, for the betterment of all concerned. Zack's had some great misfortune in his life and I hope for his sake, this incident may help him and the Habs straighten his problem's out. Then he can become the great PWF that's always been predicted he should be since playing for Team Canada in 2009, Go Zack Go is what I want for him, but don't expect to get molly- coddled on the way back, you earn respect it's not just given!:nod:

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Broken foot...2-3months? So...we can see Kassian back out there in early December (or end of November). Great!!

This is only fair, especially since there is a track record here...not the first time for this player.

That said, I really hope Kassian will be back on the ice to help our Habs in end of November or December.
(2-3 months for broken foot?).

The broken foot may have very little to do with his return to the game.

I believe if he is in the rehab program the doctors running the program must approve his return. He might be physically ready but if he doesn't have the green light from the rehab program he doesn't play or get paid. At least that is my understanding. If someone out there knows for sure, I would be glad to have that cleared up.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The broken foot may have very little to do with his return to the game.

I believe if he is in the rehab program the doctors running the program must approve his return. He might be physically ready but if he doesn't have the green light from the rehab program he doesn't play or get paid. At least that is my understanding. If someone out there knows for sure, I would be glad to have that cleared up.

This is correct, he need to be cleared by the rehab program administrators first. Then after that it's up to the Habs if they want to play him or not.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Totally agree! Such hypocrisy in throwing Kassian under the bus. Nothing wrong with partying late. Next Habs game wasnt for like 4 days. Last hoorah before the season starts.

I suspect he is being treated harshly due to the mike richards and kane scandals. NHL is in damage control mode.

If it is true that he legitimately has substance abuse problems, then his suspension makes sense. But so far it seems like many people jumping to conclusions without any proof.

If you don't realize that professional sports teams have codes of behavior, I don't knew what to say to you. The scrutiny and media attention is incredibly high. Players are expected to behave in a manner that doesn't embarrass the team. That basically means don't do anything negative that the GM has to address in the media.

This isn't a suggestion. It's the freakin' 11th commandment. Sports is about media and PR. Kassian made himself a spectacle. In negative way. He's not an anonymous teenager. He's a Hab. He doesn't deserve and certainly doesn't get a pass.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
My first thought when I heard about the accident and learned about his previous history/pattern was alcoolism (or whatever other drugs addiction). People that are dependant witnesses different areas of their life being negatively impacted by their habit. First they deny it is a problem and blame it on everyone else but themself. Next step is to become conscious of the problem and have a willingness to address it. This is the hardest part.

I'm reading some posts ready to chalk this off as almost "normal" behaviour for a 23 year old. It is not.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Come on now, he's got to stage 2 of the substance abuse program. That's automatic rehab if he wants to play in the NHL again. He does have an addiction problem. No need to sugar coat it at this point.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I hate to say I told you so but I was quite right with my initial reaction that Kassian was finished here. Everyone was saying "wait until he plays a game". What about this management made you think Kassian would wear the CH after an incident like this? DSP should count his blessings, gets to play in the NHL because of Kassian's **** up.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007

A normal behaviour would have been to grab a few drinks and have fun with friends/teamates/girls and then recognize when it's time to call it a night and get back home or the hotel. Kassian is not 16 years old passing out in the park getting drunk for the first time. No excuses.

I do hope for his own sake that he will recognize he has a real problem and that it is about to cost him part of his future. The sooner he admits to his problem, the faster he can recover.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I hate to say I told you so but I was quite right with my initial reaction that Kassian was finished here. Everyone was saying "wait until he plays a game". What about this management made you think Kassian would wear the CH after an incident like this? DSP should count his blessings, gets to play in the NHL because of Kassian's **** up.

I firmly believe that if Kassian can get his act together and has the right attitude then MB and the Habs will give him a chance to turn things around. Who knows, perhaps this was the wake up call he needed to make him realize his problem?

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
Good luck in rehab mate.
images

JV

Feb 12, 2003
na
Visit site
I'll bet dozens of nhlers under the age of 25 have been up til 4 having a few too many Old Milwaukees over the course of the last few weeks, but only a few kept going til dawn, and only one ended up with a bunny running his rig into a tree and breaking his nose and talon. Bad luck for the big guy. So he cops to having "an issue", which means he likes to do this more often than the hard core Biosteel athletes of today -- not a one of whom is capable of uttering anything more than a predigested soundbite cleared by their lawyer, the club and Gary's dwarves at NHL HQ -- which if he was doing this in a pre-9/11 world would have been a boys being boys thing and would have put him in good company among real athletes with real personalities and problems rather than the corporate suck types like Patches, who couldn't wait to pile on with his "bad judgment" judgment. How about "it's too bad he's hurt, we don't know the whole story, the guy can play and we'd like to have him back soon". What I wouldn't give to have Patches say something like " you gotta be careful when you go out for breakfast in this town, cause those trees can be shifty".....

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
i was not referring to how he handled the situation. I'm referring to how the trade was hailed as a fleecing of epic proportions....prust was a throwaway and kassian was a potential 1st line, game breaking power forward. this was indeed the case, up until this morning even. Need i remind you the trade wasn't made this morning?some of us pointed out that the guy was on his 3rd team at the ripe age of 24....we were told to pipe down.

Who cares if he knew it about his office issues, he still made the move and lost. how so? Prust couldn't keep up and we got rid of him and his salary. Even without kassian in the equation we got a pick for prust.he's not going to win every trade...again, mb can do no wrong in the eyes of some people here.and in the eyes of some others, he can do no right.

:):)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm reading some posts ready to chalk this off as almost "normal" behaviour for a 23 year old. It is not.

No one is specifically suggesting that was Kassian did was "normal". The only generality has to do with how a lot of others his age are immature, go partying, frequent women off hours and/or may drink, but are not found out or the matter is not publicized. Not all individuals in their 20s immediately acquire a sense of responsibilities, nor is that a linear or totally predictable development.

Quite obviously, we would all want to see these young men mature as quickly as possible, for so many reasons, not only hockey-related ones.

habfan1968

Dec 19, 2006
Some people here are just a little too quick to bash. Based on the amount of posts by some, I'd say some of you are addicted to HFBoards! No joke either.

Things that come to mind:

- Zack is already been through stage one of the program, bumped to stage two now, Habs were certainly aware. Why did Zack not have a chaperon?

- Zack is being afforded a chance to play on cup contender, where is his family to help him through?

- Zack is known to have substance abuse issues? Where is his agent?

To me, once a player has been through the first part of the program, friends and family and agents etc. should be keeping an eye on him.

2 ways to look at it, 1. he is only 24 or 2. He's 24!

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
I'll bet dozens of nhlers under the age of 25 have been up til 4 having a few too many Old Milwaukees over the course of the last few weeks, but only a few kept going til dawn, and only one ended up with a bunny running his rig into a tree and breaking his nose and talon. Bad luck for the big guy. So he cops to having "an issue", which means he likes to do this more often than the hard core Biosteel athletes of today -- not a one of whom is capable of uttering anything more than a predigested soundbite cleared by their lawyer, the club and Gary's dwarves at NHL HQ -- which if he was doing this in a pre-9/11 world would have been a boys being boys thing and would have put him in good company among real athletes with real personalities and problems rather than the corporate suck types like Patches, who couldn't wait to pile on with his "bad judgment" judgment. How about "it's too bad he's hurt, we don't know the whole story, the guy can play and we'd like to have him back soon". What I wouldn't give to have Patches say something like " you gotta be careful when you go out for breakfast in this town, cause those trees can be shifty".....

People are taking this situation very lightly. Kass has had these problems for a long while and it is the sole reason Vancouver gave up on him. This isn't about a kid that goes out partying and experimenting on weekends. He's an adult male who is facing a second stage of rehab. He likely had an agreement with the Habs, but couldn't keep it even until his first regular game.

I hope he can turn this around. He's running out of time.

studDUGY

Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm glad he is without salary for the entire rehab. Some people might not care about pride, but everyone cares about money. Therefore, he should take rehab seriously and maybe he'll learn a thing or 2 there about being serious in life.

guapo23

Sep 30, 2005
If you don't realize that professional sports teams have codes of behavior, I don't knew what to say to you. The scrutiny and media attention is incredibly high. Players are expected to behave in a manner that doesn't embarrass the team. That basically means don't do anything negative that the GM has to address in the media.

This isn't a suggestion. It's the freakin' 11th commandment. Sports is about media and PR. Kassian made himself a spectacle. In negative way. He's not an anonymous teenager. He's a Hab. He doesn't deserve and certainly doesn't get a pass.

You are completely misunderstanding my post.

The NHL is coming down harshly on him due to the media attention.

So immediately a bandwagon forms that says he has drug and alcohol problems and he needs help.

I think that is hypocritical. How many people here have NOT pulled all nighters and gotten rowdy? Made some dumb decisions. Does this mean we have addiction problems and need help?

Kassian is guilty of not taking a cab. Of letting his friends drive drunk. Of stupidly not realizing he is putting his career in jeopardy by not being discreet.

But until it is proven that he has addiction issues, people need to chill with the speculation and snap judgements.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Who owns Le Roi du Camion cap? Anyone know?

You need to have a gaping hole in your front teeth, to be eligible to sport one.

Also, should you crash the truck that comes with the cap, your face must bear an uncanny ressemblance to the front of said truck, post-impact.

Not everyone is willing to pay the price. :sarcasm:

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Some people here are just a little too quick to bash. Based on the amount of posts by some, I'd say some of you are addicted to HFBoards! No joke either.

Things that come to mind:

- Zack is already been through stage one of the program, bumped to stage two now, Habs were certainly aware. Why did Zack not have a chaperon?

- Zack is being afforded a chance to play on cup contender, where is his family to help him through?

- Zack is known to have substance abuse issues? Where is his agent?

To me, once a player has been through the first part of the program, friends and family and agents etc. should be keeping an eye on him.

2 ways to look at it, 1. he is only 24 or 2. He's 24!

You can have all the support in the world but it's up to Zach and only him to recognize the problem and act on it. I hope he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad