News Article: Zack Kassian placed in stage 2 of NHL's Substance Abuse & Behavioral Wellness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I don't think he'll even play a game for us. I don't have a problem with that.

Hopefully he gets the help he needs but I don't want him playing for us.

Why not? If he gets the help he needs and can get control of his life I'd like for the Habs to give him a chance to prove himself on the ice and I hope they will.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well there's an awful lot of examples of great players who showed little character in their youth. Some of the best players in the league are cases in point.

Not sure why this case hits home with you so much. I've seldom read posts from you as angry and passionate.

As 417 said, it was a calculated risk with a lot of upside. Personally I think Bergevin has dealt with this unfortunate situation without hesitation and with class. Compare this to other teams with legal and personnel issues.

Chicago is still having Kane's bobble head game, and we all know about Mike Richards and how his team treated him.

No matter how minor the deal was and is, EVERYBODY expected him to be in the lineup. If, at worst, it doesn't work because of hockey issues....I would not care. Just like if Semin doesn't work. Pretty sure that noboyd in here would have been fine with the deal if they knew it would have meant the distraction of that incident, paired with injuries etc.

Yeah, the risk was limited and incredibly small. But that was on hockey perspective. Unfortunately, we have at another level now. Let's hope it's the final kick in the ass he needed. I personnally thought the trade was enough.....I guess not.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Do you truly not get it? By your own admission, you deliberately, consciously, misconstrued what I did in fact write in order to prop up your pet theory that I secretely wished physical pain on the kid and that I was even "happy" he was injured.

Equally out to lunch is that the "motive" you allege I have for wanting the kid physically harmed is that somehow his pain and suffering will magically help the Habs team which you presume I love. How Kassian's suffering might help the Habs, you haven't disclosed, but whatever, cuz you see - your alleged motive is entirely basis - I'm not even a fan of the Habs: a fact which you would have readily discovered had you taken 10 seconds out of your entire day's campaign to win some sort of argument and just scanned my post history. Sheesh.

Here's a hint for you - I love hockey, as in the sport itself. I play rec 3-4 times a week and I watch it even more. Multiple games on multiple monitors. Any team, all teams. I love hockey and I just happen to be able to afford whatever I like. I've also ended up following some teams more than others, mostly because I become keen on particular players and dig in a bit. The Habs are, at this stage anyway, merely interesting to me because of Kassian's trade here - but Kassian is merely interesting to me because of the constant connection drawn between him and Hodgson, of whom I am fan (I'm loyal if nothing else, lol). I think they've each had some raw ends of the stick along the way, and they each have an interesting year ahead with their respective windows closing on the chance to truly solidify themselves as long term NHLers. So, I'm interested.

Do you get it yet? I'm interested. I've got opinions. I've got theories. But seeing how I'm not even a genuine fan of the Habs and I sure don't "love" them enough to want a kid to suffer pain for the team's sake, there's about a 100% chance that your pet theory is out-to-lunch. As in entirely baseless, groundless, lame, erroneous, fruity. You're simply making it up as you go.

So, keep up the campaign to trash me on the basis of your fantasy world pet theory, or eat a bit more crow and let it go. Whichever you choose, whatever.

Remember - it's just an anon hockey discussion board, maybe lighten up a bit and enjoy banter for what it is, rather than wasting a day trying to find the worst in someone you don't even know. :yo:

You are taking this message board *way* too seriously. Maybe this isn't for you.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
LOL. The Kassian trade was touted as being the greatest fleece of the last 5 years... Anyone with sense kept saying Kassian was a head case....Regular season hasn't even started and lookie what we have here. Some people's head's are so up MB's tukus it's not even funny. He could fart diamonds in the eyes of some people.

It's still a great trade, if only for the fact we managed to unload a damaged Prust that couldn't keep up anymore for a pick and a talented youngish player that had, and still has, the potential to fill a need for us going forward.

People are blowing this thing way out of proportion. I'm happy that Kassian will apparently get the help he has needed for a long time. If he comes back "fixed" for good, then good for us, no doubt he'd be a good player for us going forward.

If he doesn't, just too bad. There's no strings attached beyond this year and we still got a pick for Prust who doesn't have much to offer anymore.

It has nothing to do with taking sides with Bergevin. I try to look at things for what they are, and let personnal bias towards our GM or our coach at the door as much as possible. Clearly, some people struggle to do that, but as Newton would say... For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If I had to guess, there probably wouldn't be quite as many Bergevin fanboys if it weren't for the Bergevin lynch mob.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No matter how minor the deal was and is, EVERYBODY expected him to be in the lineup. If, at worst, it doesn't work because of hockey issues....I would not care. Just like if Semin doesn't work. Pretty sure that noboyd in here would have been fine with the deal if they knew it would have meant the distraction of that incident, paired with injuries etc.

Yeah, the risk was limited and incredibly small. But that was on hockey perspective. Unfortunately, we have at another level now. Let's hope it's the final kick in the ass he needed. I personnally thought the trade was enough.....I guess not.

If you thought the trade was enough...

Is it that unreasonable to think that MB, who had access to more info than you had/have, could of thought/hoped for the same thing?

Or do we expect our GM's to be clairvoyant not only with hockey projections, but also with behavioural ones too?

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
People with common sense you mean ?

Kassian got into an accident with an 18 year old and 20 year old who were not his girlfriend... at 6h30 am... a mere 8 hours after having played a preseason game in Ottawa.... in shorts + T-shirt in October in Montreal... and wasn't driving his own car... rather let the 20 year old drive it... a 20 year old who was suspected of being intoxicated...

One doesn't need to be Columbo to come to the truth of the matter here...

Nice argument, wearing shorts and t-shirt in October is unacceptable and should be punished. Also partying with girls who are not your girlfriend until 6h30 am is something I've never seen before, such a rare and despicable behavior for a guy in his twenties.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
People with common sense you mean ?

Kassian got into an accident with an 18 year old and 20 year old who were not his girlfriend... at 6h30 am... a mere 8 hours after having played a preseason game in Ottawa.... in shorts + T-shirt in October in Montreal... and wasn't driving his own car... rather let the 20 year old drive it... a 20 year old who was suspected of being intoxicated...

One doesn't need to be Columbo to come to the truth of the matter here...

Lol true story... But hey some people said they also drank til 6am so it makes it okay if Kassian does it... Hes young rich and stuff! Totally okay!

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
So we can asume he was on stage 1 in preseason.....

No he could have been busted. This story is about Mike Richards but it does explain stage 1-2

" If the doctors determine that treatment is required, the player will be placed into Stage 1 of the alcohol or drug program. Stage 1 calls for “inpatient treatment”, although the player continues to get paid.

If a player is convicted of a controlled substance offense (including under a plea arrangement), he is placed into Stage 2 of the drug program. The player is suspended without pay during his treatment and can be reinstated by the league should doctors recommend it."
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmac...xycontin-and-the-termination-of-his-contract/

I find it kinda strange they came out with this story today
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-acknowledges-more-players-using-cocaine-1.372075

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hopefully this is that big time wake up call he needs, and he comes back to the team committed to being a true pro...

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
And again, the Montreal Canadiens under Marc Bergevin who seems to privilege character A WHOLE LOT, decided to trade for a guy who was already on Stage 1 of a substance abuse program? Really? In a city where the temptations are even greater compared to most other cities? Geez.....was Maripier Morin that much of a distraction?

You think that addiction is a lack of character?

That's an extremely ignorant and insulting statement.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The Montreal Canadiens were fully aware of his past and his reputation when he was acquired.

Not sure why people don't get this. He was already in stage one when we traded for him so there's no doubt the Habs knew about it.

Even former Nuck teammates alluded to it when they heard about the accident. It wasn't a secret to anyone but the Hab fans apparently.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
I didn't know 'not throwing a person under the bus before facts' is suddenly defending someone.

You're crowing over something like this? :rolleyes:

No, people didnt just "not throw him under the bus" they literally said his actions were fine, many compared themselves to him, its okay to drink til 6am with 2 girls because hes young and all young men do this!! Same thing for Pat Kane!
He represents the Canadiens in and outside the rink

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Montreal Canadiens should have done a better homework at knowing the type of guy he was before they acquired him.

I'm sure they knew what risk they were taking when they acquire Kassian.

THEY GOT PAID TO TAKE KASSIAN

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sigh...they didn't trade a 1st round pick and then sign Kassian to a 8yr deal you know?

Just because a player is in stage 1 of a substance AND behavioural program, should NOT mean that he should be treated like he has the plague.

The Habs were aware of his issues and we're willing to work with him, to rake a risk on him... It backfired, something I'm sure isn't lost on Bergevin who probably stuck his neck out for Kassian

That being said, it's a bit unfair to say teams should stay away from players in stage 1 of the program. I

That program exists to help players, not ostracize them... I'm sure there are many players in stage 1 on teams you have no idea about... It's anonymous

Agreed.

Saying someone who battles addiction lacks character is a really awful thing to say.

Frankly, I think someone that criticizes and addict in that way lacks character themselves.

Where's the empathy?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hopefully this is that big time wake up call he needs, and he comes back to the team committed to being a true pro...

I don't know...I have my doubts about him coming back to the team, MB is a guy who constantly preaches about character and behaving like a pro and even today, you could tell he seemed betrayed.

I think as minor as this deal was, it was probably gut wrenching for Bergevin, Brandon Prust was his 1st free agent signing, he meant a lot in the eyes of the coaching staff, players and management even if his on ice play had really gone down the last 2 years.

I wouldn't even be surprised if this move wasn't very popular in the room with the rest of the players...so, I don't know. I think he may have burned his only bridge.

But time will tell, just hope it all works out for him and he can get his hockey career and life back on track

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Nice argument, wearing shorts and t-shirt in October is unacceptable and should be punished. Also partying with girls who are not your girlfriend until 6h30 am is something I've never seen before, such a rare and despicable behavior for a guy in his twenties.

Talk about missing the point...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I can't believe how many people still defend MB and all his questionable player acquisitions. Semin? Notorious headcase, questionable work ethic. Trades heart and soul guy for another headcase in Kassian (Anyone in hockey circles knows Kassian was a headcase, it is WELL reported. ) DSP? Notoriously lasy, often out of shape... another suspect player.

The Bergevin fan club will come chiming in as he can do no wrong, meanwhile Timmins is left with late round picks and 7th round dart tossing to stock the cupboards.
Can't blame him for taking a chance on Kassian. That deal was too good to pass up. I have no issue with it any more than I do with his signing Semin.

My criticism of him stems more from his inability or unwillingness to pay for a top flight forward. That's what we really needed. He's taken a "bargain" approach and unfortunately there are risks associated with it. There's a reason you get these guys at rock bottom prices. We'll see, maybe Semin turns into an all-star and we can be happy with it. But I think we needed a top scorer and Kessel would've fit the bill. Anyways what's done is done and we'll see what MB does next and we'll see how this season goes... nothing we can do now but hope for the best.

68*

It saddens me that so many believe that drug addiction is a "lack of character" issue.

On the other hand beating his addiction would be a good display of character. This is why I hope Bergevin will leave him a spot on the team if he completes the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad