Prospect Info: Zachary Jones, LD, 3rd round, 68th overall, 2019

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's not at all misleading, AK. The US really values guys that it throws on the WJSS. It's correct to say that Jones may be a slight long-shot, but the US brass really likes him.

I know, but my point is that the US has 2 full rosters at the WJSS, unlike Finland and Sweden for instance. That's all. He's definitely on the shortlist for a spot

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Politics would help more than hurt him. He’s played in the US system his entire youth and then went to the NCAA, they love that.
Yes, Jones may potentially be the token "WAHHH THIS GUY ONLY MADE IT DUE TO POLITICS WAHHH" complaint from the main board this year. Ironically, it wouldn't be accurate, but I can see it happening.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Yes, Jones may potentially be the token "WAHHH THIS GUY ONLY MADE IT DUE TO POLITICS WAHHH" complaint from the main board this year. Ironically, it wouldn't be accurate, but I can see it happening.
I went and looked through the 2020 WJC USA Discussion thread on the international tournaments board and it seems like there’s a pretty decent amount of support for him to make the team based on everything he’s done so far

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
yeah but he’s not an NTDP guy like York,Samuelsson, Miller and others who will be vying for spots.

USA hockey loves Samuelsson the way that the Rangers love Staal.

Yea, NTDP kids are basically given a spot by default. Have to earn their way off vs on. I do kind of understand from a familiarity standpoint in a short tournament. But it’s the truth.

Reactions: egelband

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I went and looked through the 2020 WJC USA Discussion thread on the international tournaments board and it seems like there’s a pretty decent amount of support for him to make the team based on everything he’s done so far

That's actually good, then! People are recognizing how damn well he's played. That makes me happy.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah, I was confused by the politics comment too. Historically, it's been the kids who choose to play in the CHL rather than NCAA who get shafted.
Outside of "pure" performance, the perception is that the first nod goes to those that have (had) association with NTDP, then NCAA then CHL.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

At the rate that Jones has been producing it would be pretty difficult to claim that his selection to the WJC (if it happen) would be based on anything other than his hockey performance.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I love having so many NCAA prospects, makes it much easier to keep track of them, plus I get to watch a lot more of the games.

But yeah right now Aaltonen's slow offensive start is about the only thing to be pissy about. That and the fact that Rykov still isnt playing. Hell NYR might have to take a long look at Lundkvist and consider if he might be worth offering to come over next season.

Jones, from what I read, is much more of a raw athletic talent than Fox. Not many players have Fox's hockey IQ.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Rangers have to sign Lundkvist next season anyways right? Sure they could loan him back but I bet he gets a shot in the prospect tourney and maybe training camp

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Rangers have to sign Lundkvist next season anyways right? Sure they could loan him back but I bet he gets a shot in the prospect tourney and maybe training camp

No. EU based players' rights are retained for 4 years if the player is 18 or 19 at the time of the draft

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Jones also has a high hockey IQ. His Dad was an equipment manager for minor league teams.

His skating was supposed to be a concern but from the little I’ve seen, he looks just fine.
I'm not sure where you heard that Jones' skating was a concern because that's easily his best trait. He's an incredibly fluid skater with really, really good lateral acceleration and agility. Here's an observation on him from Julie Robenhymer who watches a lot of USHL and college hockey:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad