Prospect Info: Zachary Jones, LD, 3rd round, 68th overall, 2019

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
The more I watch and research this guy, the more I think he can become a Pionk-type player who is better defensively. They both have hands, are able to carry the puck, can skate very well, are smart, play bigger than their size, and both dump the puck into the o-zone too often (as opposed to controlled entries). I think Jones is a better passer, while Pionk has a better shot. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s how I see it. An intriguing player.

Reactions: eco's bones

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The more I watch and research this guy, the more I think he can become a Pionk-type player who is better defensively. They both have hands, are able to carry the puck, can skate very well, are smart, play bigger than their size, and both dump the puck into the o-zone too often (as opposed to controlled entries). I think Jones is a better passer, while Pionk has a better shot. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s how I see it. An intriguing player.

Jones skates way better than Pionk.

Pionks escapability was ass. Jones has this in spades.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Not that it matters any longer cause he's gone, and not that I'm any kind of an expert, but I saw several instances of why the Rangers signed Pionk.

Over the years our fan base has done one of two things abundantly either overrated or underrated our prospects. It's always kind of a mixed bag but it's interesting that it's mostly one or the other.

I know two things about Pionk:

I saw him make some pretty cool plays that showed some ability.

He helped us get Jacob Trouba.

There is an argument of degree and detail on both that could be had I guess, but I know what I saw and Trouba's a Ranger now.

Just my 2 cents.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I was literally thinking the same thing. I actually feel he's more like the Islanders guy who used to wear the gold hair to the games (I'm not sure if he still goes). He sat in the same seat every year, right next to the glass. But he was much more non-de script than Ed or Larry.

I hope Larry isn't on here. But I really can't stand him and I really wish the Rangers would move away from his antics.

I really think Steven might be the biggest fan.

Considering I hung out with Steven and Larry seems a bit like a douche, I'd take Steven every day.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Not similar at all aside from the fact that they’re both offensive oriented

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Steven mentioned how giddy the draftees he saw were after the Rangers took them and after watching the MSG video clip Jones might have been the giddiest. U Mass Amherst has become a very good program and especially for turning out defensemen.

That said an 18 year old Jones isn't anywhere near where a 24 year old Pionk was last year. Pionk might have a bit more developing to do as it is--you would hope so for his sake but if not he's kind of in a place where Michael Del Zotto was in his last year with the Rangers. Right now Pionk is a bottom pairing defenseman getting shellacked by fans for being used like he was a first pairing shutdown all purpose D and if and when Jones makes it to the NHL one would hope he gets eased into the league on a bottom pairing because that helps while the other way almost always hurts. There are a handful of smallish puck moving D who are able to come right in and make an impact--like Heiskanen, Makar but you have to be a special special player and Pionk wasn't.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I don't even remember Novak. But you're right on the other 2. Although, I guess Del Zotto wasn't all bad.

He’s been an NHL player at least... he was just a guy who got under my skin. It was probably the disappointment that he never built off of his first season except for a brief run with Staal... and he just always came across as dopey to me.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He’s been an NHL player at least... he was just a guy who got under my skin. It was probably the disappointment that he never built off of his first season except for a brief run with Staal... and he just always came across as dopey to me.

Yeah, but I feel like unfortunately the NHL draft is shallow enough where his type of career is very solid for a late first rounder.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He was in the WJSS, so he's definitely on the radar.

While this is true, it's a bit misleading since the US has 2 full squads in the WJSS. He is definitely on the radar but I don't think it's likely he makes the team unless he absolutely tears it up in college the next 2 months

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Politics will likely get in the way of him making it even if he tears it up.

based on ability? There is no reason for a scrub like Mattias Samuelsson to make it over him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
While this is true, it's a bit misleading since the US has 2 full squads in the WJSS. He is definitely on the radar but I don't think it's likely he makes the team unless he absolutely tears it up in college the next 2 months

It's not at all misleading, AK. The US really values guys that it throws on the WJSS. It's correct to say that Jones may be a slight long-shot, but the US brass really likes him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad