Prospect Info: Zachary Jones, LD, 3rd round, 68th overall, 2019

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Let's wait and see. When it comes to drafting, Colorado has been one of the worst franchises in the last decade.

The last player they drafted outside the top-10 to play 100 games for them, was Tyson Barrie in 2009
By hook or by crook, they have one of the better young teams around. They were true Cup contenders this year. And they have a fantastic future top pair with Makar & Byram in the works.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
By hook or by crook, they have one of the better young teams around. They were true Cup contenders this year. And they have a fantastic future top pair with Makar & Byram in the works.

Every good player on that team that they drafted themselves was a top-10 pick. That doesn't make you "Good at drafting"

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I get it. No, they have not been great at drafting outside the top-10. Seems they got it right with Newhook. So poor drafting or not, they have an excellent young team with more in the wings.

And with Francouz they have some decent talent in net as well. Just for fun, compare his numbers to Shestyorkin in the AHL, KHL and NHL. Eerily similar

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
really glad he had good season, but not convinced he's top 5.
Same w Karl H in top 10
But the real story is just having such a deep top (almost) 20

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
He'll most likely never play a game for the Rangers. The Rangers D is already very small with Fox, DeAngelo and soon Lundkvist. Size is a big deal in the playoffs. Seems like the playoffs are more physical than ever. While the Rangers are stockpiling huge forwards up front, you still need size on the backend. I see no way he ever plays over Lindgren, Miller and Robertson. Or Hajek / Rykov. I think he goes the route of Keane and is dealt for a quality forward prospect.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He'll most likely never play a game for the Rangers. The Rangers D is already very small with Fox, DeAngelo and soon Lundkvist. Size is a big deal in the playoffs. Seems like the playoffs are more physical than ever. While the Rangers are stockpiling huge forwards up front, you still need size on the backend. I see no way he ever plays over Lindgren, Miller and Robertson. Or Hajek / Rykov. I think he goes the route of Keane and is dealt for a quality forward prospect.

1. So small defensemen can't make it to the NHL? How about Fox? Or DeAngelo, Morrissey, McAvoy, Spurgeon, Niskanen, Ellis, Barrie, Letang, Pionk, Krug, Makar, Hughes? All of them small D-men.

2. You don't know if Jones, Robertson or Miller will make it in the NHL. All 3 are question marks until they do. Every prospect is. You could easily say that Miller is the least likely to successfully complete that transition.

The Bruins have been the most consistent team the last decade, and they have done it with small defensemen. This notion that small defensemen can't be effecti e int he play offs is bullshit. It's about so much more than size. This is no different than the people saying "uhhh, we need to draft more North Americans because Euros are soft". The Rangers have big rugged guys on the blue line in Trouba and Lindgren. Adding a lanky Robertson to that mix is great. But you can't have 6 of those. You need a mixed bag of skills on your team, both on offense and defense.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I always love when Lindgren gets brought up during the conversations about size of defenseman

apparently if you play a tough game, you automatically gain “hulking” status, even though he’s 6 foot and 190 pounds

Lundkvist is an inch shorter and like 5 pounds lighter, but he’s considered tiny

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
1. So small defensemen can't make it to the NHL? How about Fox? Or DeAngelo, Morrissey, McAvoy, Spurgeon, Niskanen, Ellis, Barrie, Letang, Pionk, Krug, Makar, Hughes? All of them small D-men.

2. You don't know if Jones, Robertson or Miller will make it in the NHL. All 3 are question marks until they do. Every prospect is. You could easily say that Miller is the least likely to successfully complete that transition.

The Bruins have been the most consistent team the last decade, and they have done it with small defensemen. This notion that small defensemen can't be effecti e int he play offs is bullshit. It's about so much more than size. This is no different than the people saying "uhhh, we need to draft more North Americans because Euros are soft". The Rangers have big rugged guys on the blue line in Trouba and Lindgren. Adding a lanky Robertson to that mix is great. But you can't have 6 of those. You need a mixed bag of skills on your team, both on offense and defense.

McAvoy is actually pretty big and Niskanen and Letang aren't really small. Letang's not really tall about 5'11-6'0 but he's really thick in a Ray Bourque like way. I would not call him a small guy. I agree though that there are lots of smaller defensemen these days--generally I think it's a balancing issue and I appreciate the Rangers having Trouba for that reason. When Tom Wilson is hanging around your goal crease you need someone with the size and strength to battle for that territory. Lindgren isn't very big either but he's very combative not in a fighter kind of way but in the more physical take the body way. He's a good player. That said DeAngelo, Fox and Lundkvist are superb talents....and Jones is kind of trending that way. Smaller D sometimes too have a real physical game like Lindgren--Kasparaitis would be another example.

Might as well say I don't know how this is all going to shake out in the end--between all of Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox, Lundkvist, Lindgren, Miller, Robertson, Jones, Hajek, Rykov, Reunanen--maybe Skinner, Raddysh or Ragnarsson become NHL players too and whoever we draft this year. Take all these guys two years down the road and who knows where we are then. I would say Trouba will be here if only because of his contract but he's a real good player and Fox will be here. DeAngelo and Lundkvist look like studs though--it's just some of these guys are going to be getting in each other's way.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I always love when Lindgren gets brought up during the conversations about size of defenseman

apparently if you play a tough game, you automatically gain “hulking” status, even though he’s 6 foot and 190 pounds

Lundkvist is an inch shorter and like 5 pounds lighter, but he’s considered tiny

I have the idea that Nils has filled out a bit and is a lot stronger than he was when we drafted him. I don't think his size is going to be an issue at all. 31 points in the SHL playing defense in a shortened season as a 19 year old. This past season he blew off the doors. IMO if we're not counting Kakko anymore Lundkvist is our best prospect after Shesterkin. I think we're looking at Adam Fox 2.0. Nils also has an excellent understanding of how to defend.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
McAvoy is actually pretty big and Niskanen and Letang aren't really small. Letang's not really tall about 5'11-6'0 but he's really thick in a Ray Bourque like way. I would not call him a small guy. I agree though that there are lots of smaller defensemen these days--generally I think it's a balancing issue and I appreciate the Rangers having Trouba for that reason. When Tom Wilson is hanging around your goal crease you need someone with the size and strength to battle for that territory. Lindgren isn't very big either but he's very combative not in a fighter kind of way but in the more physical take the body way. He's a good player. That said DeAngelo, Fox and Lundkvist are superb talents....and Jones is kind of trending that way. Smaller D sometimes too have a real physical game like Lindgren--Kasparaitis would be another example.

Might as well say I don't know how this is all going to shake out in the end--between all of Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox, Lundkvist, Lindgren, Miller, Robertson, Jones, Hajek, Rykov, Reunanen--maybe Skinner, Raddysh or Ragnarsson become NHL players too and whoever we draft this year. Take all these guys two years down the road and who knows where we are then. I would say Trouba will be here if only because of his contract but he's a real good player and Fox will be here. DeAngelo and Lundkvist look like studs though--it's just some of these guys are going to be getting in each other's way.

Everyone I mentioned is either 5'11" or 6'

Your response just proves that size alone is an awful way to judge players. Niskanen, McAvooy and Letang are pretty successful despite not being the biggest D-men out there. I am so sick and tired of the size argument. It's as bad as the soft Euro-debate. Judging a player, any player, solely based on size is dumb.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Everyone I mentioned is either 5'11" or 6'

Your response just proves that size alone is an awful way to judge players. Niskanen, McAvooy and Letang are pretty successful despite not being the biggest D-men out there. I am so sick and tired of the size argument. It's as bad as the soft Euro-debate. Judging a player, any player, solely based on size is dumb.

IMO it's kind of dumb even to throw all 5'11 or 6' into the small defenseman category which is why I brought up Bourque. Bourque's kids were small but he himself was not a small man and he played in an era where 90% of d-men were taller than he was. I don't care if he was 6' or not. He had a thicker body than most of his contemporaries and he was stronger than 90% of them. McAvoy is not a small man either. He is a solid physical presence.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Jones impressed me more than Miller in world juniors this year. Hopefully he can keep progressing.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Jones impressed me more than Miller in world juniors this year. Hopefully he can keep progressing.

He was more impressive. Overall, Miller didn't have the season we all expected him to have. He wasn't bad per se, but it could have been better. Jones exceeded expectations. We really have been lucky with how our 2019 draft class has performed this past season. Robertson, Henriksson, Jones, even Skinner and Edström. Still a long way to go for all of them though, but early results look good

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He was more impressive. Overall, Miller didn't have the season we all expected him to have. He wasn't bad per se, but it could have been better. Jones exceeded expectations. We really have been lucky with how our 2019 draft class has performed this past season. Robertson, Henriksson, Jones, even Skinner and Edström. Still a long way to go for all of them though, but early results look good
But...but...but...but....I've been told the Rangers drafting is bad!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad