Player Discussion Zach Senyshyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I will tell you what's lacking with the Bruins and the lack of information for fans:

Ever since Kirk Luedeke left the New England Hockey Journal on his journey into a management career in hockey, there has been a void in prospect coverage that has never been filled by someone that understands the game and talks to people in the game and gave us a sense of not only what the Bruins thought of their prospects, but what the thought around the league was.

Don't get me wrong I love the work Anthony ( @BruinsNetwork ) and Eric ( @Saxon Eric ) do and wish we could get more. They both know how I feel about their work and that they are two guys I particularly look for. Unfortunatley lacking for them is having a stage like NEHJ and its audience. (or at least what it was when Kirk was there).

I have never met anyone who has nailed it more then Kirk. He was second to none. Unfortunately for us fans, that's missing now. And even if I go on to accept the position I've been offered to do coverage on Bruins prospects, I would never come close to what Kirk brought us.
What position have you been offered? Congrats on that, btw.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I will tell you what's lacking with the Bruins and the lack of information for fans:

Ever since Kirk Luedeke left the New England Hockey Journal on his journey into a management career in hockey, there has been a void in prospect coverage that has never been filled by someone that understands the game and talks to people in the game and gave us a sense of not only what the Bruins thought of their prospects, but what the thought around the league was.

Don't get me wrong I love the work Anthony ( @BruinsNetwork ) and Eric ( @Saxon Eric ) do and wish we could get more. They both know how I feel about their work and that they are two guys I particularly look for. Unfortunatley lacking for them is having a stage like NEHJ and its audience. (or at least what it was when Kirk was there).

I have never met anyone who has nailed it more then Kirk. He was second to none. Unfortunately for us fans, that's missing now. And even if I go on to accept the position I've been offered to do coverage on Bruins prospects, I would never come close to what Kirk brought us.
Don't sell yourself short, I love your stuff and believe you will do great if you decide to accept the position. I would definitely look forward to reading your player analysis!

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He has though.

He's done everything they've asked him to do, and the offense is there this year too.

They've developed him slowly and put him in a position to try and play a more complete game, not just one zone.

Absolutely has earned it.

I will take your word on it

But 14 goals at the AHL level is considered there offensively?

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I'm anxious to see what this kid can do. Is he the one who got beaten down in a fight in a televised pre-season game?

Best of luck to him! :thumbu:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Appreciate the support as always, my friend.

I agree on Kirk, though. Aside from yourself, he was one of my biggest influencers in being where I am right now and there’s been a serious void since he joined Omaha.

Unfortunately for the fans, they aren’t exposed to Senyshyn and other prospects as much as they should be— especially on where and what they project to be down the road. Kirk was always spot on and even when we chat together, he’s still spot on with what he tells me.

Nonetheless, Senyshyn is young and he’s doing just fine. Glad to see him get the call and I hope he gets a chance to play, potentially next to someone like Krejci or Coyle. He’s improved with each passing year since his draft and still has plenty of room to go. Aside from “who else was drafted,” many fans have given up on him for the sole fact that they don’t want to be proven wrong about the 2015 draft hill they’re dying on, IMO.

I remember when I tweeted that fans should follow you and our chat afterwards.

And then within days you had more followers then me LOL.

Most of my followers are OHL followers and Bruins fans (most) couldn't give a darn what I have to say about the Bruins

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
You evaluate prospects by just by production? LOL, that explains a lot.

I agree there is a lot more to consider, but he was 15th overall. I don't think being disappointed in his goal total no matter what line he was on (again, 15th overall, shouldn't he be a top 6 first pp guy in the AHL?) is not a valid complaint. Again, has there been any AHL'ers that have scored 26 or whatever goals in 128 games that have gone on to productive goal scoring careers?

Personally I will defer to Eric and Anthony and of course Dom as they still like him, but I think any worry is valid if someone does. I mean I have heard guys like Zacha, Crouse and Gurianov called busts on this very board.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I didn't like the pick. Hell, I remember watching a tracker of the draft in the back of my cousin's wedding and basically having a meltdown when they picked him. But once a player's drafted, you have to stop worrying about who could have been picked and you can't focus too much on the expectations of where they were picked. You root for the player to succeed because their success directly affects the team's success, which is really all that matters.

I think we all know that he was drafted on traits. There aren't many players out there with his size/speed. With that, I think you can't focus too much on production. I kind of view him like I would a left-handed high school pitching prospect. They have innate gifts, and when you draft them, you usually have no idea how it will turn out. In fact, most bust, but if they reach their potential, you have something rare. Same thing with Senyshyn, we have no idea what he will become. @Dom - OHL and others told us it would take time and we would have to be patient. There are lots of statistics out there that suggest that a player with Sensyshyn's limited AHL production is unlikely to become a top 6 forward in the NHL, but isn't the whole thing with Senyshyn that he is (relatively) unique, and thus his development is unique?

I'm looking forward to seeing him because like many of you, my knowledge of him is limited to highlights, box scores, and scouting reports. I want to make my own judgement based on what I see with my own two eyes.

Reactions: Ritmo and Strafer

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I agree there is a lot more to consider, but he was 15th overall. I don't think being disappointed in his goal total no matter what line he was on (again, 15th overall, shouldn't he be a top 6 first pp guy in the AHL?) is not a valid complaint. Again, has there been any AHL'ers that have scored 26 or whatever goals in 128 games that have gone on to productive goal scoring careers?

Personally I will defer to Eric and Anthony and of course Dom as they still like him, but I think any worry is valid if someone does. I mean I have heard guys like Zacha, Crouse and Gurianov called busts on this very board.

It's ok to call him a disappointment so far based on who was picked after him but i will call bs on someone who just looks at stats and scoffs " what progression ". He's coming along slowly and with dips but by most accounts, his game has seen a noticable uptic from last year.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Senyshyn = Athanasiou

In terms of potential/route taken.

Red Wings fans were saying the same thing about Athanasiou but not to the same level.

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
Totally disagree with the bolded.

In his draft plus 2 year, he never went pointless in more then 3 consecutive games. He went pointless in 3 consecutive games twice and two games twice.

In his draft plus 1 year, he had one 5 game pointless streak and never more then two games ( 4 times ) other then that 5 gamer.

One of the most consistent point producers in the OHL those two years.

There's a difference between being inconsistent and having a streak of pointless game. But to me having say:
Game #1
#2 1 pts
#3 0 pts
#4 1 pts
#5 0 pts
#6 5 pts
#7 0 pts
#81 pts
#9 0 pts
#10 1 pts

With that sequence, it's 9 pts in 10 games and no streak of consecutive pointless game, but in the end, it's a 5 pts game and then 4 pts in the others 9 games, wich to me is inconsistent.

I was going by memory and it as failed me in the past so I'll look at it, I might remember wrong.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I didn't like the pick. Hell, I remember watching a tracker of the draft in the back of my cousin's wedding and basically having a meltdown when they picked him. But once a player's drafted, you have to stop worrying about who could have been picked and you can't focus too much on the expectations of where they were picked. You root for the player to succeed because their success directly affects the team's success, which is really all that matters.

I think we all know that he was drafted on traits. There aren't many players out there with his size/speed. With that, I think you can't focus too much on production. I kind of view him like I would a left-handed high school pitching prospect. They have innate gifts, and when you draft them, you usually have no idea how it will turn out. In fact, most bust, but if they reach their potential, you have something rare. Same thing with Senyshyn, we have no idea what he will become. @Dom - OHL and others told us it would take time and we would have to be patient. There are lots of statistics out there that suggest that a player with Sensyshyn's limited AHL production is unlikely to become a top 6 forward in the NHL, but isn't the whole thing with Senyshyn that he is (relatively) unique, and thus his development is unique?

I'm looking forward to seeing him because like many of you, my knowledge of him is limited to highlights, box scores, and scouting reports. I want to make my own judgement based on what I see with my own two eyes.

Good post.

If Senyshyn was taken later in the draft, our expectations would be different. But he was taken in the middle of one of the most talent-laden 1st rounds in history. The ire and bewilderment is understandable. But looking at Senyshyn, the player, whom we were told from day 1 is a project, is still heading down a positive path and earned this call up.

Hopefully he gets the opportunity to show his stuff in one of these upcoming games. When I think of the 3rd line RW, I can't imagine a better fit than the player Zach Senyshyn was drafted to become. Imagine a 3rd line of Heinen - Coyle - Senyshyn. There is a little bit of everything there. Possession, playmaking, grit, elite speed and finish.

Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Strafer

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
There's a difference between being inconsistent and having a streak of pointless game. But to me having say:
Game #1
#2 1 pts
#3 0 pts
#4 1 pts
#5 0 pts
#6 5 pts
#7 0 pts
#81 pts
#9 0 pts
#10 1 pts

With that sequence, it's 9 pts in 10 games and no streak of consecutive pointless game, but in the end, it's a 5 pts game and then 4 pts in the others 9 games, wich to me is inconsistent.

I was going by memory and it as failed me in the past so I'll look at it, I might remember wrong.

Well, I guess you measure consistency differently then the vast majority of the hockey world.

Consistently puts up points = rarely going pointless

Goes missing on the scoresheet = goes long stretches without producing.

BruinsNetwork

F9178C7D-E477-46F9-890D-4DA6E7D33AEE.png

I remember when I tweeted that fans should follow you and our chat afterwards.

And then within days you had more followers then me LOL.

Most of my followers are OHL followers and Bruins fans (most) couldn't give a darn what I have to say about the Bruins

I give plenty of darns and always have.

Remember that day like it was just this morning. Here’s the original screenshot from that very day. I saw this pop up on my phone and immediately took this screenshot and put it in my group chat with my brother and best friends, who are all fans of yours and Kirk as well. Went crazy that day.

Reactions: Ritmo and Dom - OHL

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's ok to call him a disappointment so far based on who was picked after him but i will call bs on someone who just looks at stats and scoffs " what progression ". He's coming along slowly and with dips but by most accounts, his game has seen a noticable uptic from last year.

Fair enough and I tend to agree with you. I like the reports, and many have texted me eye witness reports that rave about his speed and effort. I do think he will be a decent NHL'er, even if it's bottom 6.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I do remember their consternation with him...He seemingly took forever to develop.

I think Senyshyn is on the same path.

AA was a 4th round pick. He's out produced almost everyone in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds. and 20 guys that were picked in the 1st round, half of which have played more games then him.

In 2012 AA was a second round pick to me. Sometimes you have to jump on these guys.

Would he be a first rounder in a re-draft? Absolutely.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Senyshyn = Athanasiou

In terms of potential/route taken.

Red Wings fans were saying the same thing about Athanasiou but not to the same level.

ill be happy if we get that type of impact... happier if he gives us even more

but honestly, if he busts... I wont lose sleep. a lot of guys bust.

and if he tops out as a decent 3rd liner that happens a lot too

its frustrating seeing so many guys picked later that are homeruns, but that is a normal thing that happens to all teams. if drafting/scouting was easy wed all be able to get a job like you and kirk, dom but if even you professionals miss picks then the average slobs like me would still be drafting greg joly and doug wickenheiser first overall if it was us trying to identify the players without your help/clues/recommendations steering us in the right direction

the ONLY time I ever know if a kid has any potential is when I read it from a trained scouting scource or the kid happens to play locally in the Camrose/Edmonton market place

I will say... I dont mind the team taking a swing on a long term project with big upside potential like senyshyn. I for one will be very excited to see his first game at the nhl

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

better line? on the PP/PK? More critical ice time this season?

They seem to be developing him as a 2 way 3rd line RW (unless I'm mistaken) and that's fine, but again, 15th overall, you have to be groomed to be a top 6 scorer no? I think that's where people get miffed/confused.

To me, I always like the drafting of skill players because worst case scenario a lot of them turn out to be good bottom 6 players, with some offensive instincts, smarts to know where to be on the ice, speed.....I think Zach can easily fill that role one day. but honestly I would like to see them try to develop him into a more offensive player, with better linemates and better ice time, unless they feel that A, he already has those skills, or B, they feel he will never be that type of player.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
better line? on the PP/PK? More critical ice time this season?

They seem to be developing him as a 2 way 3rd line RW (unless I'm mistaken) and that's fine, but again, 15th overall, you have to be groomed to be a top 6 scorer no? I think that's where people get miffed/confused.

To me, I always like the drafting of skill players because worst case scenario a lot of them turn out to be good bottom 6 players, with some offensive instincts, smarts to know where to be on the ice, speed.....I think Zach can easily fill that role one day. but honestly I would like to see them try to develop him into a more offensive player, with better linemates and better ice time, unless they feel that A, he already has those skills, or B, they feel he will never be that type of player.

I mentioned it earlier.

They feel that part of his game doesn't need developing.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
In fairness to those labeling DeBrusk a bust he didn’t exactly start like Pavel Bure those first 40 games in Providence and before Pastrnak got hurt 2 months ago was not playing well at all
No he didn’t start like Pavel Bure, which would put him in the majority of rookies. He has 28 goals, 14 assists, I don’t believe he got those points in the last two months. DeBrusk has improved every year of his pro career, that is exactly how a team wants it to go, steady progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad