Zach Hyman will have hearing - Update: Suspended 2 games (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
1 - Blindside hits are totally legal in the NHL, people have got to stop bringing this up

2 - Please can someone point out exactly how this hit is different than Reaves?

Trying to figure that out myself I have no real opinion on the Hyman hit (I don't see it as suspendable but I imagine I'd be pissed if I was a Bruins fan). But in every imaginable way, the Reaves hit was as bad or worse and he didn't even get a hearing. You can't do this if you want to appear as a professional organization.

I'd actually bring this up if I was Hyman in the hearing and it would start with "You guys are going to do whatever you're going to do..." and it would end with "...complete joke." and let the chips fall where they may.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
How about why he was after him all game ? when is the McAvoy hearing for boarding Marner ? Marner sure as shyte didn't jump right back up . Or the hearing for the boarding of Kadri in the third that didn't even get called . DOPS is a joke and has been for many years .

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
1 game. Predatory, boarding, head injury and way too late.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Trying to figure that out myself I have no real opinion on the Hyman hit (I don't see it as suspendable but I imagine I'd be pissed if I was a Bruins fan). But in every imaginable way, the Reaves hit was as bad or worse and he didn't even get a hearing. You can't do this if you want to appear as a professional organization.

I'd actually bring this up if I was Hyman in the hearing and it would start with "You guys are going to do whatever you're going to do..." and it would end with "...complete joke." and let the chips fall where they may.
I feel like the Hyman hit deserves a look. It felt predatory. But i agree. Reaves hit was worse. But i'm not surprised the least in the consistency at all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As a Leaf fan, and I’m 100% okay with this being a suspension.

However if Wilson, Reaves, Kronwall and Wagner all don’t get suspensions for their hits, this shouldn’t be one either.

NHL just have 0 consistency and that’s the bigger issue than Hyman maybe/maybe not sitting a game or two

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Just saw the video... ooh.. that was a really late hit. It caught McAvoy totally unaware. Did Hyman (funny name...) hit him with an elbow too?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
No suspension:

Elbow to head from behind. Should have been a clear suspension. Deserves 5 games or more for that axe job.

No suspension:

Correct. Timing of the hit was inside the limit for late hits. Mid chest quality hit.

Suspension?
I'm desperate here, what am I not understanding?

Clearly going to get one. Late hit, behind, head injury. Bolded bit is the future class action suit league wants to avoid.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
As a Leaf fan, and I’m 100% okay with this being a suspension.

However if Wilson, Reaves, Kronwall and Wagner all don’t get suspensions for their hits, this shouldn’t be one either.

NHL just have 0 consistency and that’s the bigger issue than Hyman maybe/maybe not sitting a game or two
That's the thing, the precedent doesn't seem to be there. It was a late hit, deserves a penalty. Not suspension worthy given the way things are handled currently. Never know with this league though.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
No suspension:

No suspension:

Suspension?

I see it most similar to the Reaves hit. Wilson could argue he was shifting away from contact (still Wilson, but he could argue it). I personally don’t understand why one has a hearing and the other didn’t though.

Im also not sure it’s been confirmed McAvoy got a head injury? I know we’ve speculated that since he just got back from concussion but I haven’t seen confirmation yet. He was back on the bench after before the end of the game.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The only one I remember is where he missed spectacularly and ate the boards.

My point exactly. The hit was late and stands on it's own. No need for that poster to exaggerate, makes his point essentially, well ...pointless.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Elbow to head from behind. Should have been a clear suspension. Deserves 5 games or more for that axe job.

Correct. Timing of the hit was inside the limit for late hits. Mid chest quality hit.

Clearly going to get one. Late hit, behind, head injury. Bolded bit is the future class action suit league wants to avoid.

Looks like shoulder to shoulder..

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

Hyman had 0 contact to the head. All these hits are late... and that's it

And it doesn't matter how you view the Wilson hit the league had to reason to suspend then and have no reason to suspend Hyman now

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I'm a Leaf fan and I don't like hits like that. There was no purpose. It was late and dangerous, and whether it is within the rules or not, hits that can seriously injure players should be removed. No need for that.

So McAvoy gets nothing for hitting Marner head first into the boards? Talk about favoritism! The B's are Colin Campbell's favorite team...They also conveniantly missed a couple of elbows to the heads of Leaf players, what a crock.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
No suspension:

No suspension:

Suspension?

Don't get me wrong, I'm riding the consistency train here too, but....

McAvoy is motionless in comparison to Seney or Wilson. These hits aren't really comparable, more like an escalating scale. Wilson at least makes a visible effort to shift away from contact, and in the Reaves hit at least both guys are moving at a good clip.

McAvoy is just standing there, an unsafe distance from the boards.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Tough to believe that in the Sportsnet poll, 69% of the voters believe that Hyman should NOT be suspended.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad