Zach Hyman will have hearing - Update: Suspended 2 games (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Perhaps people need to work on understanding what a check is. It's not simply the contact made. It's the approach and finish, as well. There's a reason we say "finish the check". It's because you already started it while the player you're hitting was eligible to be hit. This check wasn't started until after McAvoy was no longer eligible. It wasn't finishing a check. Had Hyman hit McAvoy with the same hit through continued momentum with the same time between puck release and body contact a 2 minute interference penalty is enough. However, as Hyman clearly initiated the check after McAvoy was no longer eligible to hit, that's bad.
Watch the game again and you will see the Bruins employing their version of the "Finish the check" mentality all night long. After the Leafs player has passed the puck the nearest Bruin changes his direction to make a hit. This is interference, period not finishing an already initiated check.
The refs ignoring this s*** probably frustrated Hyman.
That being said I think Hyman deserves the suspension.
No Leaf s fan wants Marchand to see that hit go unpunished and give him any ideas.

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Well earned suspension on a dirty hit from a rat of a player who was looking to hurt a guy fresh off a concussion

I don't care what people think, it is what it is.

However, Zack has no history of being dirty lol

The team is also far from dirty lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rob Brown

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Well earned suspension on a dirty hit from a rat of a player who was looking to hurt a guy fresh off a concussion

Can’t say I didn’t expect this from Toronto though. If you’re not gonna make you’re name by winning anything of note then you gotta make it some other way

:laugh:

This is Hyman's first suspension and he has a total of 121 PIMs across 4 seasons.

In comparison, Marchand has six suspensions + 306 PIMs (last 4 seasons).

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hyman will forfeit around $24,000 due to this suspension. He’s missing TWO games.

I should’ve tried harder to make the NHL.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
No problem with the suspension if this is the direction the league wants to take player safety with late hits.

This certainly was not suspension-worthy a few years ago, but we are somewhere different now.

Really believe this was about finishing a check and it happened to be late, I’ve seen very little evidence that Hyman is a dirty player, but he needs to be extra careful now.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Good on Hyman and Wagner trying to bring some emotion back to the sport, bet the rematch will be watched by lots more people but of course nobody likes violence in hockey

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Stop repeating this garbage tweet. Wilson's headclip missed by the league, Reaves hit was within time limits and solid body hit.

Hyman boarded McAvoy way behind the play for no apparent reason. IMO well worth 1 game, but got 2. Big deal losing a grinder for 2 games.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Late hit, 2 game suspension is too much though. I have seen many 1 game suspensions for far more egregious hits.

One game would have been enough, and mainly because head injury from otherwise penalized play. 2 is a bit heavy.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Hyman will forfeit around $24,000 due to this suspension. He’s missing TWO games.

I should’ve tried harder to make the NHL.

A friend of mine was a self admiited AHL player. Got his big break at 24 when his NHL team had a ton of injuries. He knew he would only be up a game or two and likely his only 2 NHL games. He ended up getting injured in game two and because you cant send an injured player down to the AHL he was technically on the NHL roster for 24 games. His reward for doing nothing while recovering? $248,000 :laugh:

He makes about $80,000 in the AHL. Sometimes life throws you a bone.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
:laugh:

This is Hyman's first suspension and he has a total of 121 PIMs across 4 seasons.

In comparison, Marchand has six suspensions + 306 PIMs (last 4 seasons).

Doesn’t matter that Hyman hasn’t been dirty in the past...it was a dirty play. Also, I’m not sure what Marchand has to do with Hyman?

By your logic, I’m an upstanding citizen, with no record. So, if I went and assaulted someone out of the blue, I shouldn’t be subject to punishment, because I never did it before?

Makes no sense. Do the crime, do the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad