Zach Hyman will have hearing - Update: Suspended 2 games (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
Pretty clearly a late hit. Brian Burke was saying it was 0.9 seconds and the threshold is 0.6 seconds. Not sure why Leafs fans need to further embarrass themselves by having a temper tantrum in every thread about them. It was obviously a bad hit, take the punishment and move on.
Because some (not all) leaf fans have no clue what they’re talking about the majority of the time. They just follow the media and the other clueless fans.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
No one is interested in your hypothetical scenarios. What most are interested in is your lack of understanding of basic rules.

Thank you for providing the video.
Please observe that the hit was made before the pass was completed.
The hit was initiated while McAvoy was still in possession of the puck.

This exact play happens many times during a hockey game.

by this definition in the NHL rule book
Possession of the Puck.
The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

they got this wrong. that is all
But then again he was suspended not because it was "interference" but because of "the force of the hit and the predatory nature of the hit itself"

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Gave you a scenario where it is legal to hit John Tavares after a pass to Mitch Marner.
Yeah they passed it to the Bruins all night we get it. Dops have spoken time to give up a losing fight, Hyman clearly speed up his attack after the pass went away. Second time that night he went after Mac head high.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Possession of the Puck.
The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession.

Did you turn on the volume too? If you had, you will know your interpretation is wrong. And at this point, I don't think that matters.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah they passed it to the Bruins all night we get it. Dops have spoken time to give up a losing fight, Hyman clearly speed up his attack after the pass went away. Second time that night he went after Mac head high.
Hit seems fine where it's placed, just late and in a dangerous area

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

Possession of the Puck.

Ohhhh now I get it. Why didn’t you post that before. Would have saved us all a lot of time.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Dops have spoken it was a late interference and predatory
Leaf fans trying to still argue this,

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

Possession of the Puck.

But then again he was suspended not because it was "interference" but because of "the force of the hit and the predatory nature of the hit itself"
Puck has already left McAvoys stick and is behind the net. Notice Tavares adjusting his body to turn towards direction of puck. Notice Hyman still 12-15 feet away from McAvoy long after puck has left his stick. Late & dangerous hit.
upload_2018-12-9_23-28-34.jpeg

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
NHL has legit turned into a pansy league where teams and players can't settle things on the ice themselves. Any passion, rivalry and dislike between teams has been mostly taken out these days and I miss the NHL of 15-20+ years ago where teams and their fans actually hated each other and wanted to beat each other so badly. All that is mostly gone now which is sad. :(

Reactions: Hall4Hart

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It wasn’t late. McAvoy is still considered to be in possession of the puck. The NHL got this ruling 100% wrong. It was 100% legal to hit McAvoy.
As per nhl rule book.

Possession of the Puck:

So following this rule he is still in possession of the puck. The hit was landed before the pass was completed. So it wasn’t late.
Just because McAvoy passed the puck doesn’t mean he isn’t the player in possession of the puck. He doesn't lose possession until the other player is in control of the puck.
100% not late and 100% not interference.
McAvoy shouldn’t admire his pass. He should get himself prepared for a hit.

Time out:
What your saying essentially is that when a player ices the puck before it is whistled dead at the far end he's in 'possession of the puck' and allowed to be hit? That would add a really new wrinkle to the game of hockey. That would be a blast! You're right! Puck would be at the far hashmarks and some d-man would just be ran from multiple players! I'm sure that's how hockey works.

Or guys doing long bomb passes to send a player on a breakaway. That's gotta at least give the opposition 2-3 seconds to run him. No problems I could possibly see with that.

Please - tell me and everyone else again how hockey works because I don't think we get it. We've all been doing it wrong.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I bolded the word you keep missing apparently. Nothing "immediate" about Hymans hit, unless you say that any player is eligible to he hit no matter how long time has passed as long as no one else has touched the puck since (which is pure lunacy as per my example).

Ya, I responded also and saw Oates2Neely did also but... I'm not really sure we should be having any conversation ... the idea is fun though. Imagine being a dead tired d-man at the end of your shift finally getting the puck, banging it off the boards but the puck kinda spins towards open ice past your forward and as your dragging yourself to the bench a prime Lucic just destroys you because no one's touched it yet and 'you're still in possession of the puck'. Would be like Murder Ball.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
This could be good news for Leafs fans. Most don't believe that Hyman is a top 6 guy. Lets see how Babcock shuffles the lines and what happens. Facing Tampa on Thursday might put an end to this debate.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I see this a lot from leafs fans which is kinda funny considering how Kadri is just as bad

In what way is Kadri as bad as Marchand?
One of the two currently has the most penalty minutes in the League, likes to lick other players and pulls s*** every time the whistle is blown like a punk.

Reactions: Lilou

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It was a late hit. I think we're at the point where a game here or a couple of games there is just the price of admission for a team or player that wants to play a heavy game in the NHL today.

It's the longer suspensions that trigger debate. These are commonplace now.

I thought it was late, far later than it would be credible to make the argument that he was simply following through. He knew his man had distributed the puck, he knew he had his man lined up from an angle where he couldn't see him coming, and he finished him anyway, unawares, on the boards. No issue with the suspension. Two games is what popped in my head when I saw it the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad