Confirmed with Link: Zach Hyman to have hearing for hit against McAvoy (Upd. 2 GM suspension)

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
How Hyman got 2 games and Wenger or whatever his name is didn't get at least a fine is absolute BS. Hyman's hit was late but if you watch closely you'll notice the ref didn't even put his arm up until he noticed Mcavoy was "hurt" supposedly. I'd be fine with a one gamer for Hyman but Boston's guy not getting anything but a 2 minute penalty is the same Boston favoritism that's been around for years. These guys get away with murder because they are just playing tough "Boston" hockey.

The Rielly hit was immediately after the Hyman hit and it was in retaliation to that hit and a target to Rielly's head. Rielly should have laid his ass on the ice and pretended he was seriously hurt and maybe the refs would have given that hit the 5 minute major it deserved. Same goes for Marner. You get a push in the back and go face first into the boards you lay your ass on the ice trying to get the major called.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Because its Boston and they are a bunch of babies. Explain to me how Marchand never got suspended for licking Leafs faces in the playoffs? Isnt that as bad a spitting in someone's face? Shows how much respect is in the NHL game. And they allow it.
Yeah I'm still waiting to hear why that wasn't a blatant case of player misconduct and why Marchand shouldn't have been thrown out of that game and suspended immediately after the incident.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
If I were the Leafs I would attempt to trade for Reeves from Las Vegas. If has speed, and some skill. But most of all, he throws his body around and our skilled players wouldn't be touched with him on our 4th line. Hes a better version the Martin.

Hopefully Dubas is on the phone working on it. Other teams take notice on how to beat the Leafs, play their skilled players hard and run them out of the building. It's sad but true, they will be gone again in the first round, as much as a lot of Leaf fans think there is no need for a tough guy......other teams have tough guys and do use them. It will be a wasted year if the Leafs can't compete with bigger tougher teams. This is now starting to depress me at the though of it!

Reactions: Cobra777

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Rule 42 - Charging 42.1

Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner. Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice

Pause the video at the 4 second mark, you can clearly see between the 4 second mark and the 7 second mark the Boston player is crouched down and violently jumps into Rielly's upper body.

It is not even disputable, that is a charging penalty by definition.

Old man Hainsey went to fight but just wanted to break his neck.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Pretty obvious to me that Goat slides in as the 4C and and Lindholm/Ennis/Brown moves up on the left wing

But we’ll see I guess
Brown is playing with Mitch and JT during practice so imagine we will see Goat slide in with Ennis and Lindholm on the 4th line.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON

Anti-Leaf bias from the broadcast booth at its finest.

The commentator on that broadcast (can't remember his name) is an idiot . . . he replays the hit at the end, IN SLOW MOTION, and tries to squeeze in counting one..two (gets hit)..three... (uhh . . . wasn't he already hit?!?) and then goes on to say, oh yeah, that's late . . .

This is literally ridiculous propaganda-level, cognitive dissonance style of reporting on an infraction. Utterly asinine.

To me, it might be open to interpretation if it's more than a two minute penalty, but . . . c'mon. Not even close to suspendable, IMHO.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
FYI

Matt Martin in 17 games has as many goals 4 as Tyler Ennis does in 27 games, and doing it without PP time.

When players like Matthews and Marner and Rielly are getting run I prefer Martin .. If you think Ennis is a better choice as a deterrent that's fine.
That's great for Martin, he also has half the career goals Ennis does and clearly wasn't a good fit.

Neither is a deterrent, that's pretty clear.

I do like the 180 though, nice to see you flip flopping again

Reactions: Budz22

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
im still shocked that Wagner got nothing not even a call, seems fishy, he missed, but the intent was still there to injure a player.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Anti-Leaf bias from the broadcast booth at its finest.

The commentator on that broadcast (can't remember his name) is an idiot . . . he replays the hit at the end, IN SLOW MOTION, and tries to squeeze in counting one..two (gets hit)..three... (uhh . . . wasn't he already hit?!?) and then goes on to say, oh yeah, that's late . . .

This is literally ridiculous propaganda-level, cognitive dissonance style of reporting on an infraction. Utterly asinine.

To me, it might be open to interpretation if it's more than a two minute penalty, but . . . c'mon. Not even close to suspendable, IMHO.

It's Craig Simpson, who proves he can't count. And to all those who don't know about the steamboat count there it is again being referenced by Damian Cox

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
leafs.png

Of course Brown takes Hymans spot. Babs will even play these guys on their off wings just to keep at least one grinder in the top six. :laugh:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
A protection policy that doesn't protect is not a very good policy.

Let's play guys that can help us win instead.

I think that is the point though, there are very few players that can help you win in every game. I mentioned in a previous post you need a team that is flexible like a Swiss Army knife. If a face puncher can help you win a few games, that you wouldn't win with out him, I think it makes sense to have that face puncher in the press box till you need him.

People can say that fighting has a non effect on the game but after the Leafs fought we saw a much more competitive team, with more energy, more dangerous. IMO a face puncher does not have to be a Tie Domi, he can be a Kadri, a Hyman, a Hainsey but you do need guys who understand that there is a time to punch the other guy in the nose, even if it means you miss half the game and it hurts your stats.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Maple Leafs' Hyman suspended two games by NHL for 'predatory' hit

The league noted “a dangerous, forceful, high hit” into the boards, adding the “predatory nature” of the check warranted supplemental discipline. The league took Hyman’s clean record in 210 NHL games into account, but he still loses $24,193.54 US in salary and miss Toronto’s game in Carolina on Tuesday and the battle for first in the conference with Tampa Bay on Thursday.

NHL f***ing needs to look at th definition of “predatory” before posting this garbage on a public platform

Bush League

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
That's Hyman's choice, not management's. Also I don't think you can appeal that short of a suspension, which is ridiculous.

Shouldn't have been a suspension. If they really, really felt the need to set an example it should have been 1 game not 2. It's actually ridiculous that this got the same number of games as a sucker punch from the bench.
I believe he can appeal it. Most likely the process wouldn't allow him to get any games back, but I do believe if he gets it reduced he would get some of the forfeited salary back. Have to think it would take at least two games to sort out though, so he definitely doesn't gain any hockey from the appeal.

Would more be an appeal on principle, regaining a bit of his clean reputation, as well as trying to earn back some missing salary.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
How Hyman got 2 games and Wenger or whatever his name is didn't get at least a fine is absolute BS. Hyman's hit was late but if you watch closely you'll notice the ref didn't even put his arm up until he noticed Mcavoy was "hurt" supposedly. I'd be fine with a one gamer for Hyman but Boston's guy not getting anything but a 2 minute penalty is the same Boston favoritism that's been around for years. These guys get away with murder because they are just playing tough "Boston" hockey.

The Rielly hit was immediately after the Hyman hit and it was in retaliation to that hit and a target to Rielly's head. Rielly should have laid his ass on the ice and pretended he was seriously hurt and maybe the refs would have given that hit the 5 minute major it deserved. Same goes for Marner. You get a push in the back and go face first into the boards you lay your ass on the ice trying to get the major called.

Rielly has more honor than the tucking gatbage Bruins players who pretended to be hurt to get a call cam back to finish the gam and played th next night as well

I am absolutely furious with the BS

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah I'm still waiting to hear why that wasn't a blatant case of player misconduct and why Marchand shouldn't have been thrown out of that game and suspended immediately after the incident.

For the same reason why when he was using Sedin Twin #2 as a speed punching bag there was no fine or supplementary discipline because he knows Jacobs owns Bettman.

On very few of these plays was he disciplined but Hyman gets 2 for hitting McAvoy...? Marchand is a dangerous and reckless Jacobs protected dirt bag.

Reactions: Cobra777 and IPS

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
He should have been suspended, but one point in his favour for future games is that when he got in the fight after and had the upper hand he stopped punching. That's sort of one of those "ok, I understand why you went after me, I could hit you with more punches but I'm not that kind of player".

On top of the suspension and no injury on the play, it probably goes some ways for the Bruins to say "ok it's over". Now if it were Kadri who laid out that hit, not only would it be more than two games, the Bruins probably don't forget. History means alot in sports. Leafs don't want to be playing a rough and tustle game, it's not their style and it shouldn't be the NHLs style either.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I believe he can appeal it. Most likely the process wouldn't allow him to get any games back, but I do believe if he gets it reduced he would get some of the forfeited salary back. Have to think it would take at least two games to sort out though, so he definitely doesn't gain any hockey from the appeal.

Would more be an appeal on principle, regaining a bit of his clean reputation, as well as trying to earn back some missing salary.
It is not appeal able as it is less then the number of games that a suspension is appealable.

Bush like Kadri getting 3 games in the playoffs. Both are excessive.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Brown is playing with Mitch and JT during practice so imagine we will see Goat slide in with Ennis and Lindholm on the 4th line.

Babcock loves himself some Brown lol he literally cannot help himself. I would personally take advantage, and try Grundy in the role for a game or two.

Not Babs though, only gud pros like Brown and Goat back in the lineup.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad