Confirmed with Link: Zach Hyman to have hearing for hit against McAvoy (Upd. 2 GM suspension)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I watched it a couple of times again to get a fresh perspective, and it's not an excessively late hit, but it's late nonetheless, and just as importantly it was a blindside hit. Unacceptable.

I do think, there is far too much hitting and interference against players without the puck, It's not the kind of stuff we were watching the Devils do in the mid 90's, that was so bad a family friend stopped watching hockey it was such awful and boring hockey, and he lived and breathed hockey. However, it is rearing it's ugly head again, almost as if the talent in the league has become so good up front teams are looking at ways to get an angle.

If you don't have the puck, there should't be even the touch of two players jerseys. and the only place any should occur would be incidental when jockeying for position in front of the net. There is too much risk involved, and it really takes away from the talent, replaced with neanderthals who are a step behind.

I don't know how many of you have played sports, but, all participants expect a respect for the others health. You can play hard, compete of course and not back down, but you simply cannot engage in something like this, especially when he has to know it is dangerous.

You will probably never see a hit like this the rest of Hymans career, but he should do honourable thing and just sit. I dislike the Bruins as much as anyone and they are a more dirty team than the average team, but in this game, the Leafs lost their cool.

I agree there has been way too much interference on our forecheckers this year but at the same time the injured defencemen has from a high level seemed to have dropped, one disadvantage from the interference rules a few years ago was it allowed d-men to be targets of heat seeking forecheckers. It's a fine balance between players safety and calling the rules to the letter of the law.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I watched it a couple of times again to get a fresh perspective, and it's not an excessively late hit, but it's late nonetheless, and just as importantly it was a blindside hit. Unacceptable.

I do think, there is far too much hitting and interference against players without the puck, It's not the kind of stuff we were watching the Devils do in the mid 90's, that was so bad a family friend stopped watching hockey it was such awful and boring hockey, and he lived and breathed hockey. However, it is rearing it's ugly head again, almost as if the talent in the league has become so good up front teams are looking at ways to get an angle.

If you don't have the puck, there should't be even the touch of two players jerseys. and the only place any should occur would be incidental when jockeying for position in front of the net. There is too much risk involved, and it really takes away from the talent, replaced with neanderthals who are a step behind.

I don't know how many of you have played sports, but, all participants expect a respect for the others health. You can play hard, compete of course and not back down, but you simply cannot engage in something like this, especially when he has to know it is dangerous.

You will probably never see a hit like this the rest of Hymans career, but he should do honourable thing and just sit. I dislike the Bruins as much as anyone and they are a more dirty team than the average team, but in this game, the Leafs lost their cool.

I could accept the suspension a lot more if the Reaves hit had never happened.

How they can go from no suspension on that to giving Hyman the same amount of games as Bertuzzi is beyond bizarre.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

How they can go from no suspension on that to giving Hyman the same amount of games as Bertuzzi is beyond bizarre.

Because its Boston and they are a bunch of babies. Explain to me how Marchand never got suspended for licking Leafs faces in the playoffs? Isnt that as bad a spitting in someone's face? Shows how much respect is in the NHL game. And they allow it.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

Yes, I agree, the inconsistency is a problem. If they don't get a handle on it, we will regress to the days of bad hockey and high talent skill being ruined. We almost saw it with Crosby, I'm amazed he seems to have fully recovered.

Blindside hits should be no-brainer suspensions, outside of a quick play where a guy shifts his body and places himself in a bad position.

Reaves deserved something possibly, although the difference is that Wilson was potentially going to him, and with his reputation (which, rightfully or wrongfully other players are going to be aware of) I'm not surprised Reaves pushed his shoulder into him.

That hit, again is a major reason I despise hits against guys without the puck, it's indefensible, maybe the biggest issue the NHL has to clean up. You don't have the pick, you should not be touched.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Well I guess we wanted it tougher.

This is a horrible decision. It was a late hit and thats the worst it could be looked at. Not by much though and it's his first time...horrible.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
The problem is the rat that runs this league, Herr Bettman. Herr Betman doesn't give a shit about Canadian fans, he knows that no matter what we will return and lap up whatever product is on the ice. We are merely pawns to expand the game in American (and soon) in European cities. The NHL is bush league and being run by foreigners that don't understand the game, just money.

There is a concerted effort from the media (cut from the same cloth as Herr Bettman - just look at the last names Sadler, Friedman, etc) to feminise this sport.

Bruins didn't even get what they deserved... if they did McVoy should have had his brains decorate the boards.

Maybe you guys like watching teams that are softer than the pillow section at Sears that wears pink twice a year for social justice... I certainly don't. Get these Bolshevik's out of Canada's sport.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The problem is the rat that runs this league, Herr Bettman. Herr Betman doesn't give a **** about Canadian fans, he knows that no matter what we will return and lap up whatever product is on the ice. We are merely pawns to expand the game in American (and soon) in European cities. The NHL is bush league and being run by foreigners that don't understand the game, just money.

There is a concerted effort from the media (cut from the same cloth as Herr Bettman - just look at the last names Sadler, Friedman, etc) to feminise this sport.

Bruins didn't even get what they deserved... if they did McVoy should have had his brains decorate the boards.

Maybe you guys like watching teams that are softer than the pillow section at Sears that wears pink twice a year for social justice... I certainly don't. Get these Bolshevik's out of Canada's sport.
Toronto and Montreal have been getting it up the *ss for many years from Bettman. He is a New Yorker. He is a lawyer. He is all about helping the weak survive. We wants to build up US TV revenues. He wants further expansion to bolster franchise value. He is not a hockey guy growing up and he really can't understand the game from a playing perspective. It is not his fault because he was never trained in hockey.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Yes,the hit was late but in no way does it deserve a suspension. Uncle Leo & Matt Martin used to finish their checks like that all the time.The league overreacted per usual only because McAvoy played up the hit and he was coming off of a concussion. He played against Ottawa the following game.

I'm getting sick and tired of the officiating allowing the Bruins to constantly CROSSCHECK & obstruct the Leafs. Sadly only Hymen and Kadri have the ballz to stick up for their teammates. I thought the 3 game suspension against Kadri last playoffs was ridiculous too. That was a ONE game suspension max!

Only the Leafs are getting suspensions while the Bruins get away with murder. Ask Vancouver fans if the Bruins get away with dirty play.

Reactions: Al14

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The problem is the rat that runs this league, Herr Bettman. Herr Betman doesn't give a **** about Canadian fans, he knows that no matter what we will return and lap up whatever product is on the ice. We are merely pawns to expand the game in American (and soon) in European cities. The NHL is bush league and being run by foreigners that don't understand the game, just money.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Because its Boston and they are a bunch of babies. Explain to me how Marchand never got suspended for licking Leafs faces in the playoffs? Isnt that as bad a spitting in someone's face? Shows how much respect is in the NHL game. And they allow it.

It's a gross misconduct the same as biting, spitting, hair pulling, etc. I still believe Colin Campbell has influence of not suspending Bruins players even when it's totally flagrant!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Rule 42 - Charging 42.1

Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner. Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice

Pause the video at the 4 second mark, you can clearly see between the 4 second mark and the 7 second mark the Boston player is crouched down and violently jumps into Rielly's upper body.

It is not even disputable, that is a charging penalty by definition.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Hainsey was just backing up and didn't really want to fight. He just held the guy. Gawd the Leafs are soft.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Well this post covers it from "A" to "Z" .... Aspersions to Zenophobia.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
When it pertains to the Leafs all refs have graduated from the Kerry Fraser school of refereeing, no other explanation!

Reactions: Al14

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If you dress a Matt Martin instead of a Tyler Ennis you don't weigh that decision on points scored by the players. Its a protection policy not an offensive weapon.
A protection policy that doesn't protect is not a very good policy.

Let's play guys that can help us win instead.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If you hit our player, I'll hit your player. An eye for an eye.

You don't need to tell a pitbull what to do, its a pitbull already knows what to do by its nature.

If you dress a Matt Martin instead of a Tyler Ennis you don't weigh that decision on points scored by the players. Its a protection policy not an offensive weapon.
A big dumb ice clogger? Remember when that was your favourite crappy quote?

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
A protection policy that doesn't protect is not a very good policy.

Let's play guys that can help us win instead.
True, but I do wonder if this is where a guy like Leivo added a lot more than Ennis. Similar offense, but he could win some battles, play physical and throw his weight a bit

Reactions: Cobra777

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Hainsey was just backing up and didn't really want to fight. He just held the guy. Gawd the Leafs are soft.
Huh? If Hainsey didn't miss the first grab he would have been on him instantly. After that it was an awkward coming together to get into the fight lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A big dumb ice clogger? Remember when that was your favourite crappy quote?

FYI

Matt Martin in 17 games has as many goals 4 as Tyler Ennis does in 27 games, and doing it without PP time.

When players like Matthews and Marner and Rielly are getting run I prefer Martin .. If you think Ennis is a better choice as a deterrent that's fine.

Reactions: Cobra777

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Though I think this year it’s more that refs don’t want to call a penalty in our favour because with our powerplay there’s always a good chance we score and refs don’t want to decide games.

which is so freaking stupid. they don't want to "decide" games because we have a good penalty, so they don't call penalties, which, in turn can decide games.

do your job. see an infraction call it.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
The biggest problem, in my opinion, is the inconsistency from the league. How was Reaves & Wilson's 2nd hit not suspension worthy but Hyman's earned 2 games?

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
If I'm Hyman, I don't feel I'm being supported by management. At least appeal the suspension!

That's Hyman's choice, not management's. Also I don't think you can appeal that short of a suspension, which is ridiculous.

Shouldn't have been a suspension. If they really, really felt the need to set an example it should have been 1 game not 2. It's actually ridiculous that this got the same number of games as a sucker punch from the bench.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If I were the Leafs I would attempt to trade for Reeves from Las Vegas. If has speed, and some skill. But most of all, he throws his body around and our skilled players wouldn't be touched with him on our 4th line. Hes a better version the Martin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad