Confirmed with Link: Zach Hyman to have hearing for hit against McAvoy (Upd. 2 GM suspension)

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
I had missed the first 10 minutes of the game so I wasn't even aware of McAvoy hitting Marner from behind until today. I remember being pissed at Wagner for manhandling Marner in front of the net at one point and then sure enough he tries to decapitate Reilly later in the game.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I wouldn't call the hits dirty. Both Mathews and McAvoy are not ready for the hit. What do you think the other guy is coming at you with? Roses and chocolates? Good thing, no one was hurt at the end.
Well, if it were Marchand coming at you, you might expect kisses and licks! :eek:

Or, would it be licks and kisses, obviously leading with his tongue. :ha:

Watch out, he may also do tricks with his legs. :mad:

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wrote something;

This isn't to say that Zach Hyman should not have been suspended. However when you look around at what took place within the same time period, there is a clear lack of consistency among suspensions handed out. There is a lot of discussion of how the NHL can eliminate predatory hits, yet there appears to be zero self-awareness in terms of what they are doing in their part of the process. Players are still willing to make dangerous hits, because the NHL has yet to make the stand that all of these dangerous hits will result in additional punishment.

HockeyIntangibles: Cor's Takes, Volume 2: The NHL Lacks Consistency, More Details On Nylander Contract & Trade Chatter

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If playing Ennis over Martin is necessary to give us the edge over any other team,we are in big,big trouble.
By that logic, whatever we do on the fourth line matters little. In reality, you take every little advantage you can get because the compound effect over time helps.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I had no problem with the Kronwall hit, a case of a big man getting hit by a bigger man.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
By that logic, whatever we do on the fourth line matters little. In reality, you take every little advantage you can get because the compound effect over time helps.
In a salary cap world there is even less chance of a fourth line being a real difference maker. However, having even one deterrent to goons for the same price or less would be of far greater utility. I remember all the wailing about how having Colton Orr playing 6 minutes a game was the reason we could not win...good times.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
In a salary cap world there is even less chance of a fourth line being a real difference maker. However, having even one deterrent to goons for the same price or less would be of far greater utility. I remember all the wailing about how having Colton Orr playing 6 minutes a game was the reason we could not win...good times.
Except that they are not a deterrent. The role does not work.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Except that they are not a deterrent. The role does not work.

You're right...what the other teams will do is just play their game with 4 decent lines, while a player like Orr just sits and warms up the bench. We need more gritty players who could also play the game, not a goon.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Hopefully Dubas is on the phone working on it. Other teams take notice on how to beat the Leafs, play their skilled players hard and run them out of the building. It's sad but true, they will be gone again in the first round, as much as a lot of Leaf fans think there is no need for a tough guy......other teams have tough guys and do use them. It will be a wasted year if the Leafs can't compete with bigger tougher teams. This is now starting to depress me at the though of it!
Leafs can't be tough because the league will suspend them. If I'm Babcock I tell my top 6 to flop on everything now. If the refs aren't going to call actual penalties and give actual suspensions, then its about time we start trying to draw some.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You're right...what the other teams will do is just play their game with 4 decent lines, while a player like Orr just sits and warms up the bench. We need more gritty players who could also play the game, not a goon.
Leafs need more go in and get the puck.
Aggressive forecheck. Less passive.
Be where the action is. Engage more from the circles down.
Gaining the zone is fine but when you have no play and throw it around the boards only to have the other team exit with it, not good.
Who gets it and who battles for it? I want that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Both the police and armed forces confirm that a visible presence is indeed a deterrent. Your contrary opinion is duly noted.
Is this a joke? :laugh:

This is not the police or the armed forces. It's hockey. There are studies made using a decades long sample size that shows that teams employing a "deterrent" are just as likely to be victimized as teams without. My opinion is not contrary. It's informed.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.

This is not the police or the armed forces. It's hockey. There are studies made using a decades long sample size that shows that teams employing a "deterrent" are just as likely to be victimized as teams without. My opinion is not contrary. It's informed.

Your opinion is contrary to mine but that does not make it either right or wrong. I am glad that you are happy with your opinion and I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I dont like tim and sid but they have a YouTube video pretty clearly showing how a similar hit by Lucic wasn't suspendable. And not to mention the hit from behind on Marner from McAvoy and the cheap, predatory hit by Wagner on Rielly. Is there a worse fanbase than Bruins fans? Honestly, over the years they've have a dirtbag team that takes pride in how dirty they are but the moment their golden boy gets a bit of a late hit, they want a witch burning. It's a phony tough guy fanbase. Absolutely hypocritical.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Both hits deserved to be reviewed, both suspendable in my opinion. Both equally dangerous for different reasons.

I've been saying it for a long time, the NHL is the only league in the world that doesn't protect it's Stars in terms of fair play (dangerous hits, holding, interference etc) and also in terms of punishment. It's always been this way. Players go down and there is a call, he stays on his feet there isn't. Only does the NHL wait to see if a guy is injured or shaken up before penalizing.

I grew up watching tough hockey, I loved the stuff as a young man. As one ages, they learn to appreciate the beauty of the game and they also understand the body has limits. I prefer a clean game, almost, gasp, a European game now as it shows the beauty. As an athlete and active guy most of my life, I understand playing a sport hard, but, clean is key. That's why there are rules.

I am fine with clean checking and tough plays on the puck, but the interference, stick work (really, grown men hitting, hacking others with a stick, wtf is this?), hits to the head and dirty stuff needs to be dealt with harshly. The old standard that allowed guys like Scott Stevens to pummel guys is no longer allowed. I've seen Paul Kariya, Eric Lindros, Pat Lafontaine, Marc Savard, just to name a few, who were hit in dangerous situations, with little regard for their health. They paid a steep price, so did the fans and the game lose their contributions.

I don't care if it is Hyman, Matthews, or any Leaf player dishing it out, this garbage has to end, it's not a joke to have careers and even lives destroyed by violent, sometimes dirty hits.I am willing to bet that Hyman knows his hit was a bad hit. Just own up to it and don't repeat it. For this reason alone, I hope he just sits and doesn't appeal it.

Refs need to call the game, I don't care if a team has 12 Power Plays, I really don't. I don't care if Don Cherry cries about it for the entire season, call the game right and players better understand it could be THEM next getting hit. I simply don't want this to be the "entertainment".

Mostly agree. But I think the game should call the game the same whether it is a star player or fringe NHLer. It is why I dislike playoff hockey in this respect - the calls become too subjective and inconsistent and can literally ruin series.

Reactions: Luminiferous

great

Apr 14, 2018
I think the Leafs need to use their speed against teams like Boston. Because even if they get someone grittier or they retaliate look what happens, our player gets suspended. If the leafs just skate hard and around the Bruins, I don't think they would be able to keep up. I'm not sure why these guys are slowing down, they were a lot faster two years ago, ever since dump and chase they've gotten slower.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Lets see how many penalties get awarded when the Leafs come home and see if Bell and Rogers took my advice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad