Confirmed with Link: Zach Hyman to have hearing for hit against McAvoy (Upd. 2 GM suspension)

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
For the same reason why when he was using Sedin Twin #2 as a speed punching bag there was no fine or supplementary discipline because he knows Jacobs owns Bettman.

On very few of these plays was he disciplined but Hyman gets 2 for hitting McAvoy...? Marchand is a dangerous and reckless Jacobs protected dirt bag.

I call these the Colin Campbell specials, any other player would have been suspended over a dozen times but not Marchand. Someday he will break someones neck with these antics and the NHL will have to answer why Marchand was never disciplined for it.

Reactions: Cobra777

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
At least Connor Brown is on the first line during practice, so I guess there's a silver lining? Oh wait... ugh.

I mean, yeah, that should be expected.

Babs isn't going to completely change everything because Hyman is out. Put Brown up and enter Gauthier.

Reactions: Loosie

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It was a dirty hit. If it happened to Matthews Leaf fans would expect the same.
Well, explain the dirty hit on Matthews, delivered by Kronwall last week? Sure, he got a penalty, but no suspension. With Matthews shoulder issues the League did nothing to protect him as they have gone out of their way to protect McAvoy. NO DAMNED CONSISTENCY WHATSOEVER!

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It was a dirty hit. If it happened to Matthews Leaf fans would expect the same.

Matthews got drilled into the boards by Kronwall, and other than initial reaction in the GDT, no one was complaining or demanding a suspension.

So that theory is out the window.

There are posters who would probably trade Hyman in a heartbeat if they could that disagree with the suspension.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Matthews got drilled into the boards by Kronwall, and other than initial reaction in the GDT, no one was complaining or demanding a suspension.

So that theory is out the window.

There are posters who would probably trade Hyman in a heartbeat if they could that disagree with the suspension.
Kronwall's could have been given a 5. It was dangerous enough to warrant that.

Suspension was iffy...until this

Reactions: Al14

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Matthews and Rielly both got drilled in back to back games with very questionable hits. The league has made it clear that it's open season on Leaf players without repercussions.

Reactions: Al14

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Matthews and Rielly both got drilled in back to back games with very questionable hits. The league has made it clear that it's open season on Leaf players without repercussions.

Nothing wrong with the Kronwall hit IMO, the one on Reilly was definitely predatory. Hyman hit was late and 1 game should be enough, considering Reaves got 0 games and it was far worse than Hymans. Problem is, it seems to matter who you hit, McAvoy vs Wilson, which should have no impact on the decision. Good job Parros.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
This ^! Exactly this ^!

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I've been thinking about it more and more as the day's gone on.

Hyman's hit was illegal (as-in worthy of a penalty), dangerous, and potentially predatory. I don't personally think it was predatory, but that's a blue-and-white tint colouring this situation which I can accept. I think 5 and the game is fair, if this really is something the league is trying to ween us away from. But 2 games?

I don't understand how a player who's never gotten so much as a talking to from the league gets 2 games, while Kronwall, Reaves, Wagner, and many others have received nothing for similar or worse plays this year. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Marchand speared Zaitsev during whistles three times during the game without so much as a talking to from the refs. It genuinely doesn't make sense to me, unless there are politics involved.

I can't imagine there's anyone other than yellow-veined Bruins fans who believe this is all fair and square.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nothing wrong with the Kronwall hit IMO, the one on Reilly was definitely predatory. Hyman hit was late and 1 game should be enough, considering Reaves got 0 games and it was far worse than Hymans. Problem is, it seems to matter who you hit, McAvoy vs Wilson, which should have no impact on the decision. Good job Parros.
So, the Ref calling a penalty on it made a mistake?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think that is the point though, there are very few players that can help you win in every game. I mentioned in a previous post you need a team that is flexible like a Swiss Army knife. If a face puncher can help you win a few games, that you wouldn't win with out him, I think it makes sense to have that face puncher in the press box till you need him.

People can say that fighting has a non effect on the game but after the Leafs fought we saw a much more competitive team, with more energy, more dangerous. IMO a face puncher does not have to be a Tie Domi, he can be a Kadri, a Hyman, a Hainsey but you do need guys who understand that there is a time to punch the other guy in the nose, even if it means you miss half the game and it hurts your stats.
Sure. But there is little reason to think said face puncher actually does anything else than get a face punched. Having a strong, effective fourth line can at least give a bit of goal differential over the course of a season.

As for last game, let's remember that we are dealing with just one game here. There's also two ways you can view what happened towards the end. Either you can attribute us scoring a bunch but giving up a few more as well to playing a style with lots of pinching and high-risk decisions that is common for teams that are desperately chasing, and has a documented effect on scoring. Or you can attribute it to the fights, something that has a documented non-effect on scoring.

I guess you were talking about the emotion of the team as well? I don't know if that comes as much from the fights as from the things that caused the fights.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Sure. But there is little reason to think said face puncher actually does anything else than get a face punched. Having a strong, effective fourth line can at least give a bit of goal differential over the course of a season.

As for last game, let's remember that we are dealing with just one game here. There's also two ways you can view what happened towards the end. Either you can attribute us scoring a bunch but giving up a few more as well to playing a style with lots of pinching and high-risk decisions that is common for teams that are desperately chasing, and has a documented effect on scoring. Or you can attribute it to the fights, something that has a documented non-effect on scoring.

I guess you were talking about the emotion of the team as well? I don't know if that comes as much from the fights as from the things that caused the fights.

If you think successfully sticking up to a bully has no effect on the human psyche and there is no correlation between confidence and success.... weeeellllll.... show me a study that proves that confidence does not foster success as a NHL hockey player and I'll show you a poorly researched paper.

Reactions: diceman934

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I've been thinking about it more and more as the day's gone on.

Hyman's hit was illegal (as-in worthy of a penalty), dangerous, and potentially predatory. I don't personally think it was predatory, but that's a blue-and-white tint colouring this situation which I can accept. I think 5 and the game is fair, if this really is something the league is trying to ween us away from. But 2 games?

I don't understand how a player who's never gotten so much as a talking to from the league gets 2 games, while Kronwall, Reaves, Wagner, and many others have received nothing for similar or worse plays this year. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Marchand speared Zaitsev during whistles three times during the game without so much as a talking to from the refs. It genuinely doesn't make sense to me, unless there are politics involved.

I can't imagine there's anyone other than yellow-veined Bruins fans who believe this is all fair and square.
Jeremy Maurice Jacobs Sr. is the politician involved. ;)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What if you are playing hockey on a pond and the ice pops a hole, get yer old ice clogger and voila, the game will go on.

Wouldn't you just get ice and the game would go on?

"Ice clogger" sounds like how my wife described our freezer and resulted in me losing half a Saturday watching youtube trying to figure out how to repair it.

That would also explain the "Big Dumb" part in referring to my repair skills.

Reactions: Bluelines

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If you think successfully sticking up to a bully has no effect on the human psyche and there is no correlation between confidence and success.... weeeellllll.... show me a study that proves that confidence does not foster success as a NHL hockey player and I'll show you a poorly researched paper.

I would certainly hope no one would argue that Confidence will led to Success in every aspect of life.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Well, explain the dirty hit on Matthews, delivered by Kronwall last week? Sure, he got a penalty, but no suspension. With Matthews shoulder issues the League did nothing to protect him as they have gone out of their way to protect McAvoy. NO DAMNED CONSISTENCY WHATSOEVER!

I wouldn't call the hits dirty. Both Mathews and McAvoy are not ready for the hit. What do you think the other guy is coming at you with? Roses and chocolates? Good thing, no one was hurt at the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad