Zach Hyman A.K.A Babcock's Son Appreciation Thread

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Does anyone actually think he has top 6 hands? I'd argue they're not even NHL average.

Great 3rd or 4th liner but it hurts to watch him try to keep up with a couple of all-stars. (Mitch will be one soon enough .)
Having top 6 hands isn't the only requirement to get into the top 6. Especially when he's not the offensive driving force on the line.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Hyman isn't the goal scorer. He's support for the goal scorers.

It is a salary capped team game.

He almost scored as much as Nylander last year.

Reactions: White Shadow

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
He's not just a random "good in the corners" guy he is a virtuoso at it. As well as being a good passer and decision maker from the corners and behind the net. With years experience playing with Marner and Matthews who both say they love him being on their line.
I don’t consider Hyman a dud by any means, but let’s face it: how many of those 15 goals were the result of opportunity over skill set.

Yeah, he works hard to get into those opportune spots, no argument there, but he’s not exactly driving the offense himself. He’s at his best reacting to the work of others.
he drives the offense plenty by coming out of the corner with pucks he had no business getting.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He's not just a random "good in the corners" guy he is a virtuoso at it. As well as being a good passer and decision maker from the corners and behind the net. With years experience playing with Marner and Matthews who both say they love him being on their line.
he drives the offense plenty by coming out of the corner with pucks he had no business getting.
Wasn't it reported that Matthews asked for him to be taken off his line in his summer meeting with Babs?

Reactions: The Rat King

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wasn't it reported that Matthews asked for him to be taken off his line in his summer meeting with Babs?
Reported, no.
Speculated, sure. Every possible thing is speculated on at some point, no matter how silly it sounds.

Reactions: White Shadow

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Haven't seen much of what you're describing this year. He has been brutal. Isn't winning those races to the puck that often. The play dies on his stick constantly! He isn't a complimentary player for JT and Marner at all.They would be better off with someone who could score,at least once in a while. Hyman handles the puck like a grenade!

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Haven't seen much of what you're describing this year. He has been brutal. Isn't winning those races to the puck that often. The play dies on his stick constantly! He isn't a complimentary player for JT and Marner at all.They would be better off with someone who could score,at least once in a while. Hyman handles the puck like a grenade!
Says the guy who doesn't know photographic evidence is actually a thing...

Reactions: saltming

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Fake news
Oh?

A notoriously stubborn coach who showed throughout 2 years that he will keep Hyman on Matthews' wing at all times randomly decides to change his mind about it after a meeting with a very upset Matthews and having to fly out halfway through the continent to meet him.

None of this counts as viable evidence to you that there's a possibility? Very close-minded IMO.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Oh?

A notoriously stubborn coach who showed throughout 2 years that he will keep Hyman on Matthews' wing at all times randomly decides to change his mind about it after a meeting with a very upset Matthews and having to fly out halfway through the continent to meet him.

None of this counts as viable evidence to you that there's a possibility? Very close-minded IMO.
That's one of several viable possibilities

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Oh?

Real news is news that has been verified by 2 credible sources. There is not 1 credible source that has gone on record with this.

Is it a possibility? Of course it is, just like the possibility I created about McElhinney being turfed because he made Freddie nervous.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Real news is news that has been verified by 2 credible sources. There is not 1 credible source that has gone on record with this.

Is it a possibility? Of course it is, just like the possibility I created about McElhinney being turfed because he made Freddie nervous.

I don't understand why you think the two situations are even remotely similar.

Matthews came off a tough series where he was 58th in ice-time among forwards. Not really too hard to consider he felt underused in the series. Just for a parralel, Laine averaged more TOI than him and he's buried behind depth in Winnipeg. You're kidding yourself if you think players don't notice these things. During his offensive struggles, Nylander was taken off his wing and replaced with Connor Brown. I think it's pretty understandable that Matthews was upset with the whole thing, it's pretty close-minded to think otherwise. If you honestly think that their rift would be announced to the media, you're kidding yourself. Anyone who denies the controversy just isn't being logical, a coach doesn't fly out half-way across a continent to "comfort" their young superstar after a bad playoff series.

Reactions: ToMaLe

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I don't understand why you think the two situations are even remotely similar.

Matthews came off a tough series where he was 58th in ice-time among forwards. Not really too hard to consider he felt underused in the series. Just for a parralel, Laine averaged more TOI than him and he's buried behind depth in Winnipeg. You're kidding yourself if you think players don't notice these things. During his offensive struggles, Nylander was taken off his wing and replaced with Connor Brown. I think it's pretty understandable that Matthews was upset with the whole thing, it's pretty close-minded to think otherwise. If you honestly think that their rift would be announced to the media, you're kidding yourself. Anyone who denies the controversy just isn't being logical, a coach doesn't fly out half-way across a continent to "comfort" their young superstar after a bad playoff series.

Look how much better Freddie played this October without Curtis being a threat to him. I am glad he asked Babs to have him removed from the team. I am also thankful we have a management team that takes the considerations of our players to heart.

See how easy that was?

Until you can prove it, it is conjecture.

Reactions: CanadasTeam

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Does anyone actually think he has top 6 hands? I'd argue they're not even NHL average.

Great 3rd or 4th liner but it hurts to watch him try to keep up with a couple of all-stars. (Mitch will be one soon enough .)
Guy is scoring at 105 point pace so far -- 18P in 14GP, tied for 8th in the league... It's crazy to think that Marner might actually not make the All-Star team.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

I don't think anyone thinks he has top 6 skill set but he has the heart,determination,etc of a champ!

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Hyman is the kind of guy this fan base has always loved in the past. Not sure why people hate on him. Solid, effective, and 100% effort.

Reactions: ACC1224

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hyman is the kind of guy this fan base has always loved in the past. Not sure why people hate on him. Solid, effective, and 100% effort.

I don't think anyone hates him, per say, they just hate his role in the line up currently. I mean he'd be universally loved if he was on the fourth line, maybe third line.

Ideally, the Leafs could upgrade a with a similar player that has more skill but Hyman has produce well enough to show he's not a complete liability. He's not the biggest issue despite the fact that they could do better.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think anyone hates him, per say, they just hate his role in the line up currently. I mean he'd be universally loved if he was on the fourth line, maybe third line.

Ideally, the Leafs could upgrade a with a similar player that has more skill but Hyman has produce well enough to show he's not a complete liability. He's not the biggest issue despite the fact that they could do better.

This misunderstanding gets verbalized a lot yet the debates still rages.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3