Zach Hyman A.K.A Babcock's Son Appreciation Thread

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
it pretty much impossible to one time it unless your on you off wing and that's why AM stopped it before he shot
Welcome to my point from 3 posts ago. It's purposely not a one-timer setup.

the obvious is choice is not to promote a player who didn't have a goal at that time to the pp regardless of what other changes Babs wanted to install
They promoted the best LH shooter on PP2. Seems obvious to me.

i have no idea how anyone can defend Hyman being promoted to the PP as well not questioning why Kap can't get pp mins
Agreed, ask why Kap wasn't put on PP2 instead of Hyman. That's logical, though the response is too. Difference of opinion for some.

Sadly, like most of your posts, the 1-2 half-decent thoughts are surrounded by highly questionable logic and tinfoil hat theories

Last edited:
Reactions: saltming

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The whole hockey world knows the Leafs PP goes through Mitch. They have used Morgan lately as a set-up option(which has been exciting) ....Auston sniping from the left side ,JT as the net presence and Kadri in the high slot. This has been successful and fantastic to watch!
So ,without Auston,a suitable and not so disrupting replacement could be Kap or Leivo maybe,or Andreas....but no,not Babs ...Lets use the least talented guy we got and stick him in front of the goalie in hopes that one or two goes in off his arse! Hyman,the 'powdered toast man' of the Leafs!
Hyman isn't on PP1.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
The sooner dinosaurs like Babcock are gone the better. Somewhere along the lines NHL coaches snuffed a lot of creativity out the game. I am sick of hearing about over structured systems, especially when they result in lots of icings and scrubs getting ice time. I love to win, but I love it more when we win in style. There is no reason why this team cannot perform as dynamically at home as they do on the road. I am sick of line matching and defensive responsibilities. This team should be focusing on quick close passes to break out of their zone, and a speedy puck possession zone entry. I hate the fact the Babcock wants our top players to grind it out.
Hey ,easy ...I'm a dinosaur! Seriously ,I hear ya. The thing I don't get is ,he has assistants to hopefully point stuff out,or suggest ideas. Unless he is some kind of control freak.Which may be the issue here! I think he really is good with his players for the most part ,but some of the lines and late game strategies are a head scratcher for me!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
But 'demanding' are you serious? They ****ing better not. Its one thing to sell a free agent on potential line mates, but when the season is on its the coach that decides where they player plays, they need to shut up and do there job the coach is the boss with governing the team. at least in every sport that Ive ever known....

If a player wants to have a discussion on what could work after practice thats one thing but no player can demand who they will and wont play with that is complete bull****...
I can't get into it deeply at the moment,but it really does happen. Unhappy players may not be at their best if not playing with compatible line-mates!

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I can't get into it deeply at the moment,but it really does happen. Unhappy players may not be at their best if not playing with compatible line-mates!
Its just unacceptable. Players cant coach the team. If players would only demand to play with their friends a team would fall apart. Coach is the boss, just like any other profession if the coach makes the lineup you dont refuse to play with their coaching decision... I still dont believe it though unless you can provide me a link.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think it's a good word for Babcock.

Giving Marner's PP time to Hyman sure fits the bill. Thank god I don't have to defend such stupidity. I guess when you buy into the hype of having "the best coach in hockey" mental gymnastics are required to maintain such a belief.
No such thing as perfection. And when did marner get taken off the pp?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No such thing as perfection. And when did marner get taken off the pp?
You probably think it's good coaching to split PP time between Marner's unit and Hyman's unit.

There ain't no such a thing as perfection, but nobody needs to be perfect to understand how f***ing stupid it is to give Marner/Tavares' PP time to Ennis and Hyman.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I like Hyman as a player and can fully understand the logic of playing him on a line with two skilled players.

He definitely brings aspects to a line that make it much easier for the two really skilled players to have the puck in the offensive zone.

The question becomes do those qualities overweigh the shortcomings?

So we give him a plus everytime he forechecks, retrieves the puck and hands it off to stars.

So then we also have to give him minus everytime a rush gets thwarted in the neutral zone or when he cant convert on point blank chances in scoring areas or when many offensive zone sequences die once he touchs the puck.

I can see both points of view and this is what makes him the most polarizing player on the team imo.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You probably think it's good coaching to split PP time between Marner's unit and Hyman's unit.

There ain't no such a thing as perfection, but nobody needs to be perfect to understand how ****ing stupid it is to give Marner/Tavares' PP time to Ennis and Hyman.
So your thought is to have the marner unit out for the whole 2 minutes or less?

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Cal me crazy but I would love a 4th line that can crash and bang, and disrupt the other team's flow.
Like Leo, Martin, and Hyman.......you can choose the centre.
But it could never happen here even if Leo and martin were still here cause Hyman has to be a top 6 guy under Babcock.

Reactions: smitty10

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
The net front guy on the PP isn't just there to screen or get hit by the puck.
If that's all babcock wants he could put Lindholm, the Goat, or brown there.
He has to be able to control the rebound, or find an open man if he can't put it in....

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
And if I'm one of those guys on the first pp unit I'm rushing cause I'm only going to be out there for about 50 seconds.
No pressure,though.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
And if I'm one of those guys on the first pp unit I'm rushing cause I'm only going to be out there for about 50 seconds.
No pressure,though.
They're not changing on the fly usually, so if they're calm and keep pressure they get more time. There's no buzzer that sounds after 50 seconds

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The net front guy on the PP isn't just there to screen or get hit by the puck.
If that's all babcock wants he could put Lindholm, the Goat, or brown there.
He has to be able to control the rebound, or find an open man if he can't put it in....
This explains it pretty well. JVR was soft as warm butter but was excellent at net-front presence. Another warped idea people have is that net-front presences need to be large bruisers but that's not the case.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Can count on one hand the number of highlight reel worthy goals he has scored, but they all look the same in the game summary. Big fan of his game, perfect complimentary player to our skilled guys.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I like Hyman as a player and can fully understand the logic of playing him on a line with two skilled players.

He definitely brings aspects to a line that make it much easier for the two really skilled players to have the puck in the offensive zone.

The question becomes do those qualities overweigh the shortcomings?

So we give him a plus everytime he forechecks, retrieves the puck and hands it off to stars.

So then we also have to give him minus everytime a rush gets thwarted in the neutral zone or when he cant convert on point blank chances in scoring areas or when many offensive zone sequences die once he touchs the puck.

I can see both points of view and this is what makes him the most polarizing player on the team imo.

Very nice nuetral approach to Hyman.

Ive always said he's be best used on a top line IF we are a bit overhwhelmed physically in the forecheck and puck battles, some nights our top 6 can do it, some not as much.

You apply hyman according to the need of the team. Aka Adjustments aka Babcocks weakest trait.

If the team is flying and making good passes and Hyman cant convert, swap him. Chances are those passes will now find someone with a finishing touch.

If we can't win a board battle and need help getting pass the nuetral zone, add Hyman to a top line to give our top guys a chance to have the puck in the Ozone.

As for a team like Boston, you need offensive weapons stacked because they sometimes can just cover the outlet and smother Hymans 2 other linemates knowing he isnt hitting topshelf.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Last night he played the same good, solid game that he plays probably more consistently than anyone else on the team. However, he happened to score twice, so today the people who only seem to see goals are happy with him.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He is a good player.

He isnt a dynamic scoring threat, but we already have a ton of those. He brings a lot of different elements that some of the high-skill guys lack.

He is a complimentary piece that is at a cheap cap hit

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Last night he played the same good, solid game that he plays probably more consistently than anyone else on the team. However, he happened to score twice, so today the people who only seem to see goals are happy with him.
Last night was playoff Hyman in a playoff-type game.

Need more of it.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Hyman has spent the entire year on a line with JT.

Johnsson has been all over the line up, even on the 4th line for quite sometime and plays way less than Hyman yet he has a better PPG.

Hyman is a bottom 6 forward. His low SH% isn't bad luck its because he lacks the ability to finish, its as simple as that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Hyman is a good example of a guy who brings the same process every game. If and when guys like Matthews, Nylander and Marner bring their hardest, non stop game like Hyman 80% of the time, we'd be chasing down Tampa Bay.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Hyman has spent the entire year on a line with JT.

Johnsson has been all over the line up, even on the 4th line for quite sometime and plays way less than Hyman yet he has a better PPG.

Hyman is a bottom 6 forward. His low SH% isn't bad luck its because he lacks the ability to finish, its as simple as that.
He's spent the entire season with the two top scorers on the team, and you don't think he's a large part of that?

His 'low Sh%' is better than that of Marner, Marleau, Kadri, Brown, Gauthier, Nylander, and Lindholm.

Not too bad for a guy who's job isn't to score, but to get the puck so his linemates can score.

Reactions: mclaren55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad