Zach Hyman A.K.A Babcock's Son Appreciation Thread

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
"vital piece" lol

only in Leaf land would an unskilled energy player be considered a vital piece
yea get to the playoffs with only skill and no grit, and your laughing, we will be laughed out in 4 games. Hyman was one of our best players last year against boston, but I guess you have only tunnel vision. pretty sure this is a hyman appreciation thread, so why post crap about him?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
yea get to the playoffs with only skill and no grit, and your laughing, we will be laughed out in 4 games. Hyman was one of our best players last year against boston, but I guess you have only tunnel vision.
and you don't get to the playoffs with grit and no skill

what the team needs more of is gritty skilled players , not just players that have one or the other

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
and you don't get to the playoffs with grit and no skill

what the team needs more of is gritty skilled players , not just players that have one or the other
yea but Hyman does help this Team dont understand how he is not a vital piece, he does his job, perhaps he should not be on the top 6, but he is still a vital part to this team just my opinion of course.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
yea but Hyman does help this Team dont understand how he is not a vital piece, he does his job, perhaps he should not be on the top 6, but he is still a vital part to this team just my opinion of course.
I agree he's a good 4th line player. Could even play on the third line in some situations. He should not be anywhere near our top 6 though.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
yea get to the playoffs with only skill and no grit, and your laughing, we will be laughed out in 4 games. Hyman was one of our best players last year against boston, but I guess you have only tunnel vision. pretty sure this is a hyman appreciation thread, so why post crap about him?

no one would have a problem if he played in the bottom 6. the problem is that his grit doesn't mesh well with our skilled players. Hyman doesn't have the skill to play on the same line as some of the best players in the league. His grit would be far more appreciated in the bottom 6... and likewise, guys like Kapanen benefit from playing with more skilled players. Just switch Leivo and Hyman and it will be a huge improvement. Leivo handles the puck very well and makes nice passes which skilled guys will really benefit from (not to mention Leivo has a big time shot too). None of this is Hyman's fault... it's Babcock's fault for putting him on the wrong line.

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
Yeah you are not fooling anyone.

Hyman has been gifted his spot for reasons having nothing to do with hockey.

The team would be better if he was in the press box never mind top line.

He will be lucky to get 10 goals this year playing with Tavares and Marner 20 plus minutes a night.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

He will be lucky to get 10 goals this year playing with Tavares and Marner 20 plus minutes a night.
please explain?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Don't know how Hyman is considering an offensive dud by so many when he scored 15 goals last year...without PP time. Golden boy Nylander had 20 goals.

Reactions: rubous

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
how many were EN or SH goals.

Scoring goals isn't the most likely of scenarios in SH situations, and if a player is on the ice in EN situations, it can be argued he's there to help prevent a goal about as much as he is to try and score one.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
perhaps he should not be on the top 6, but he is still a vital part to this team just my opinion of course.

Almost everyone on this forum agrees that Hyman should be on the team.
It's all about this coach insisting that he play with our most skilled players...and not on the 4th line ( or even possibly 3rd) where he belongs.
All this "hate" toward Hyman is misplaced. It should be directed at Babcock.
He is the problem.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Don't know how Hyman is considering an offensive dud by so many when he scored 15 goals last year...without PP time. Golden boy Nylander had 20 goals.

I don’t consider Hyman a dud by any means, but let’s face it: how many of those 15 goals were the result of opportunity over skill set.

Yeah, he works hard to get into those opportune spots, no argument there, but he’s not exactly driving the offense himself. He’s at his best reacting to the work of others.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Yes, EN goals can't be considered offensive gems, but how can PK goal not be a considered worthy of some offensive ability?

We all like Hyman on the PK. He's actually pretty good at getting breakaways when he's PKing. He's also a good guy to put on the ice when we're trying to protect a lead late in the third. So we all agree that we like his usage in these situations and he's productive in these situations as we can see from his empty net goals and his short handed goals. Where we have a problem is using Hyman on the top line in 5on5 play. So we want to specifically look at how he does in these situations. And that's when his numbers aren't nearly good enough to justify his placement there. He only just got his first goal of the year playing with mostly Tavares and Marner all year... and it was a fluky and meaningless goal too when we were defending a lead in the last minute of play. So you have to recognize the areas where he is succeeding (PK, protecting leads, etc.) and look at areas where he is struggling (5on5 play in the top 6).

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Scoring goals isn't the most likely of scenarios in SH situations, and if a player is on the ice in EN situations, it can be argued he's there to help prevent a goal about as much as he is to try and score one.

We can now watch really skilled players like Kapanen and Marner on the pk and can really see what elite players can do.
The Hymans and Browns are useful but every team has those types of players.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You don't believe Marner and Tavares would be more productive playing with a more offensively talented player? How does this guy have 1 goal while playing 14 games with Mitch Marner and John Tavares this season? And the goal he scored was with 20 seconds left in the game and kicked in by the opposing player.

Sure, they'd probably be more productive with Matthews instead but that doesn't mean Hyman's pulling anyone down.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We can now watch really skilled players like Kapanen and Marner on the pk and can really see what elite players can do.
The Hymans and Browns are useful but every team has those types of players.

I think it's great that Babcock trusts and utilizes Kapanen and Marner on the PK.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Almost everyone on this forum agrees that Hyman should be on the team.
It's all about this coach insisting that he play with our most skilled players...and not on the 4th line ( or even possibly 3rd) where he belongs.
All this "hate" toward Hyman is misplaced. It should be directed at Babcock.
He is the problem.
bingo! that is one good bingo!

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
I think Hyman has improved this year. He meshes better with JT and marner. He may not be a true top 6 forward skill wise but I don’t think he is completely out of place.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I agree he's a good 4th line player. Could even play on the third line in some situations. He should not be anywhere near our top 6 though.
Does anyone actually think he has top 6 hands? I'd argue they're not even NHL average.

Great 3rd or 4th liner but it hurts to watch him try to keep up with a couple of all-stars. (Mitch will be one soon enough .)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad